Skip to content

Spell Immunity: Evocation does not protect against Incendiary Cloud.

Expected: no effect from incendiary cloud (it is marked as evocation).

Actual: my CHARNAME very nearly died while standing in what he thought was a safe area.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think that actually it does not protect against AoE spells, but it protects against some... It's weird.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Another legacy bug. Known since 2006. @CamDawg‌, you post here. Any word on this?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    It's probably the same issue we faced with spell level immunities--i.e. a creature in a Globe of Invulnerability still got affected by a lot of AoE attacks such as Skull Trap. Fixpack and EE address those; probably time to take a look for the school immunities and see if the same thing is happening.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    FYI: my CHARNAME almost died trying this with Delayed Blast Fireball, so chalk that up as another thing that is not working with school immunities.
    @Gate70,

Oh boy... I am sure not looking forward to writing up a report like that one. I wonder if we need to do all the spells?
    Troodon80 said:

Oh boy... I am sure not looking forward to writing up a report like that one. I wonder if we need to do all the spells?

Probably not--it's only a handful of AoE spells that seem to 'forget' their original settings when reacting with protections. For example, spells/items/creatures that provided immunity to level 3 spells still let Skull Trap through. We fixed this by pairing any level 3 spell immunity with an explicit protection against Skull Trap.

The old immunity batches have a list of what we need test and then add explicit protections. The list for that: Web, Stinking Cloud, Skull Trap, Cloud Kill, Death Fog, Delayed Blast Fireball, Symbols (Death/Fear/Stun, both arcane and divine), Incendiary Cloud, PW Silence (wish), Horrid Wilting (wish), wing buffet (wish), Slow (wish), Meteor Swarm, Entangle, Silence 15', Holy Smite, Unholy Blight, Call Lightning, Glyph of Warding, Blade Barrier, Globe of Blades, and Fire Storm. We'd just need to test these against their respective school immunities and add protections as appropriate.

We already have one test done with Incendiary Cloud vs. Immunity: Evocation.
    Or, better organized:

Abjuration - Glyph of Warding* (sppr304), knockback (wish27)

Alteration - Entangle (sppr105), Silence 15' Radius (sppr211), Call Lightning (sppr302), Slow (spwish25)

Conjuration - Symbol Fear (sppr706, spwi811), Symbol Stun (sppr718, spwi816), Symbol Death (sppr719, spwi817), PW Silence (spwish35)

Evocation - Stinking Cloud (spwi213), Web (spwi215), Cloud Kill (spwi502), Death Fog (spwi614), Blade Barrier (sppr603), Delayed Blast Fireball (spwi712), Fire Storm (sppr705), Globe of Blades (sppr725d), Incendiary Cloud (spwi810), Meteor Swarm (spwi911)

Necromancy - Skull Trap (spwi313), Holy Smite (sppr313), Unholy Blight (sppr314), Horrid Wilting (spwish32)

* I'm not sure how Immunity should protect against dual-school spells like Glyph of Warding. The argument could be made either way that Glyph of Warding should be blocked by both Immunity: Abjuration or Immunity: Evocation or by neither. Have fun, rules lawyers.
    @CamDawg, so you need to add explicit protections against those spells? Will that also include the trap variations or are they going to be treated differently?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2014
    Troodon80 said:

Will that also include the trap variations or are they going to be treated differently?

@Troodon80‌ I guess that yes, since traps are spells set to be cast at a moment (or sprung at one moment).

Check for variants of:
    -Abi Dalzim' horrid wilting
    -The Symbol spells (Death Stun Fear)
    -Globe of Blades
    -Balde Barrier
    -All the trap variants of Skull Trap, Stinking Cloud, Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, Fireball, more powerful Fireballs and stuff, etc.
    -Sleep Cloud from the Air Staff.
    Edit:
    -Golem's Slow.
    -Trap versikn of Web
    -The Wand of Wonder's bullshit (it has lots of aoe spells).

Also, have Web, Grease and Haste in mind, they might not be added.

@CamDawg‌ I think that botth Spell Immunity: Abjuration and Evocation should grant immunity to Glyph of Warding, or maybe we can make about this.
    Troodon80 said:

@CamDawg, so you need to add explicit protections against those spells? Will that also include the trap variations or are they going to be treated differently?

The game is wildly inconsistent about whether trap spells (and to a lesser degree, spell-like item abilities) count against spell protections or not. Many of them are set as schoolless or without power levels, so I'll freely admit we tended not to fuss about them too much.