Skip to content

Phase III: The Usability Tune-Up

Comments

• JustphilJustphil Member Posts: 11
    No updates from Dee for a week now. Still waiting for the "coming soon" news for Android mentioned last friday. Has patch 1.3 now become the no1 priority?
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    Out2lunch said:

@‌Dee

Any chance of an update to where we are?

Im itching to buy a copy of this game, or at least get the full game for testing purposes, as im flying to New Zealand in 2 weeks time and cant sleep on planes, so I can get the whole game tested for you then.

I will only be there for a week, then flying back to the UK so a few run troughs can be done. ;-)

Total transit time for both flights and airport waiting will be more than 60hrs, so will have a LOT of time on my hands.

@Out2lunch‌ I hope you are able to do some runs and I also hope that whatever you go you find yourself beside a power outlet!
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    @Justphil looks like it doesn't it? Though if all the fixes of 1.3 are going to be added to the Android port before release then it makes sense (as much as I don't like it!!!)
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    @Mythrialus - Thanks mate I hope I do too, I will just have to play it on my laptop, if my belly and trade table allow...
  • smartroadsmartroad Member Posts: 47
    Justphil said:

Still waiting for the "coming soon" news for Android mentioned last friday.

Don't forget that the Android port has been 'coming soon' for what 2 years now?
    matthileo
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    smartroad said:

Justphil said:

Android was talked about as a future possibility in November 2012, became a reality in coming soon January 2013.

So at the longest its 1 year 3 months, not 2 years.

elminster
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Out2lunch said:

smartroad said:

Justphil said:

Android was talked about as a future possibility in November 2012, became a reality in coming soon January 2013.

So at the longest its 1 year 3 months, not 2 years.

Yeah, and besides that, there has been consistent effort toward Android, but it takes some time to put a 1998 game on a modern tablet; As one of the many testers, I can definitely tell you it's getting closer all the time.
    Besides, you can't rush greatness.
    elminsterCr4zyJAristillius
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    Besides, you can't rush greatness.
    I totally agree. I would rather have something well put together that takes a couple more months where we dont have game breaking bugs for many users, narrow compatibility, or large sweeping post release patches that break saved games... however, sounds like the "when its done" comments are strangely familiar... I wonder which companies ive herd that from with games that have log lead times :-).
    Anyway, dont mind my sarcasm. Keep up the great work guys. Looking forward to replacing gemrb (amazing project) on my galaxy s3 and nexus 7 with something that I can play all the way though. Cant get gemrb .8 to run right on my gs3 and .7.3 crashes on the bg2 xpac constantly now after getting through more than have of watchers deep (keep?)
  • mtnkillmtnkill Member Posts: 26
    I can't wait to get a larger test of the game play. Most of the engine that would have required 'porting' can probably be tested in Candlekeep, but I wonder what else might shake out in other areas of the game.
    I appreciate that it is important to get things right and that this can take time. However, since we were told that news wold be coming soon, we have heard nothing. Not even the tests completed count has been updated since the 20th. It could be that there is an update comimg next week, but equally there may be nothing until patch 1.3 has been issued. Having, asked us to beta test the game, it would be nice to at least get a weekly update on progress.
    matthileo
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    Won't the update and the android port be released together like the last updates?
    Cr4zyJ
  • DannyBarkleyDannyBarkley Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2014
    mjs said:

Won't the update and the android port be released together like the last updates?

Probably, but even progress on the 1.3 beta test seems to have halted, or there's just no new information about it.
    Personally, I don't know how many more times I can play Candlekeep ... wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same.
    @DannyBarkley I have played candlekeep several times now, I thought I was a master at it before, but now I have it down to a science.... still, I'd definitely like everything to be running well before "venturing forth" so I'll play it as many times as needed until we know the game engine is working well.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2014
    For me, this is all getting a bit boring now. If there are going to be many more phases then can we please get something we can actually "play"? I personally would like the chance to mess around in the second area, stretch my legs a bit, engage in some group battles. But even if that is not possible we could at least get the group battle training area back?
    Post edited by wigglesg on
    @wigglesg I see what you mean... even if they don't give us the whole game, it might be nice to give the next area, that way we can test having additional party members, plus it would be nice to see life outside the walls of candlekeep on the android.
  • gklein55gklein55 Member Posts: 1
    It is pretty sad I've only been around for this and the last phase. Things were looking so good I hate to see them stall out now. I'll still be waiting to test it on all my devices when its time. It would be nice to get a little news though since its been awhile and it would be a shame to see people disperse. You guys are doing a great job, thanks so much for your hard work.
  • DudzioDudzio Member Posts: 81
    In my opinion they aren't working on android version since beta for pc has started. And won't come back to it untill patch for pc will be released. I am little dissapointed with their behaviour. We did our best, and now they can't even tell us what's going on.
    matthileo
  • SiriomSiriom Member Posts: 12
    Its been years now since this was suppose to come out. If you havent figured out how android users are being treated you need to get a clue.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We're working on setting things up in the Google Play Store so that we can migrate the testing there.

We've also identified why the in-game movies weren't displaying, so those should be working too once we set up the next build.
    Rookrocklba
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    On a side note, initial testing on my end suggests that installing the build through the Google Play Store will be much faster than TestFlight.
    Aristillius
    @Dee will all of the current TestFlight testers be added to the Google Play beta?
    So are we going to have to join the BGEE Google+ group for this next stage?
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    There are some of us with a Kindle Fire HDX that does not use the google play store. We have to go through Amazon. Are we out of luck getting to play Baldur's Gate?
    @Dee Any idea of when the next build is likely to be available through the Google Play Store?
    matthileo

There are some of us with a Kindle Fire HDX that does not use the google play store. We have to go through Amazon. Are we out of luck getting to play Baldur's Gate?

I haven't looked into it, but you can probably do something like this:

http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install-google-apps-kindle-fire-hd-hdx/30736/
  • LrdApocLrdApoc Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2014
    The issue with Google Play and sideloading for the Kindle apps is that some apps don't sideload well.. and we would not have the inbuilt support to give feedback through the Google ecosystem during the test process unless we use rooted devices (which I'm not willing to do).

I see another Shadowrun: Returns situation brewing here.. where the Kindle due to Amazon's approach get marginalized for big releases of core games.. while Amazon is happy to push Candy Crush Saga junk on us, even big publishers like Square-Enix are not selling their latest ports like Final Fantasy VI through the Amazon store.

This is not meant to be a poke at Beamdog. I realize some of us chose a platform that is not mainstream Android.. I bought my Tablet as an augment to reading and media play, not apps.. so I may just have to live with this I guess.

I hope Beamdog can invest the time and money in making the games available on Kindle Fire but I'll understand either way... after all I already own three copies (Original CD, GoG version and the Beamdog EEs) of these games already, I can just set up a presentation layer tunnel to my PC and play, but I would love a native Android/Kindle option.
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    LrdApoc said:

The issue with Google Play and sideloading for the Kindle apps is that some apps don't sideload well.. and we would not have the inbuilt support to give feedback through the Google ecosystem during the test process unless we use rooted devices (which I'm not willing to do).

I see another Shadowrun: Returns situation brewing here.. where the Kindle due to Amazon's approach get marginalized for big releases of core games.. while Amazon is happy to push Candy Crush Saga junk on us, even big publishers like Square-Enix are not selling their latest ports like Final Fantasy VI through the Amazon store.

This is not meant to be a poke at Beamdog. I realize some of us chose a platform that is not mainstream Android.. I bought my Tablet as an augment to reading and media play, not apps.. so I may just have to live with this I guess.

I hope Beamdog can invest the time and money in making the games available on Kindle Fire but I'll understand either way... after all I already own three copies (Original CD, GoG version and the Beamdog EEs) of these games already, I can just set up a presentation layer tunnel to my PC and play, but I would love a native Android/Kindle option.

I think you're confusing two different issues. Whether or not the beta can be made available on the Amazon Marketplace, and whether or not the final version can be are separate problems. Amazon provides no system for beta testing, so you may be left out of the beta. That doesn't mean you'll be left out of the final release. It's entirely possible they could release on the Amazon app store as well. I would imagine that depends most on their contracts, rather than technical stuff.
    cmk24
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    No one from Beamdog is likely able to comment on BG:EE's future availability through Amazon until they have something substantial to say, but it would be nice to have some indication that this is in their plans or not.
  • oshyoshy Member Posts: 5
    I really hope they make this available on the amazon app store as well. Kindle fire HDX user here. I have been following the progress on this app for a long time and it would really suck after all of this that it's not available over there.
This discussion has been closed.