Skip to content

Roleplaying Challenge: Ravenloft

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @CrevsDaak My bad. I was thinking of the Rope of Climbing. :P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    OOC I can lift Imoen over my shoulders if she doesn't have them.
  • Fenris308Fenris308 Member Posts: 118
    Minsc will serve as a door stop if all else fails.
    You manage to get Imoen closer to the base of the Hourglass, and she reads the inscription aloud.
    "In the palm of my hand,
    is the time left to thee.
    When it's consumed
    Will the flame set you free?"

Looking around, Imoen notices that the empty hands of the statues have small stones placed on them. The Western Statue has a red stone in its right hand and a blue stone in the left, while the Eastern Statue has a black stone on its right hand, and an milky one with flashes of color (an opal) in its left hand.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Quayle looks at the door closing with alarm. He places his +3 mace longways in the doorway. He then reaches into his pack and wields one of the spare +3 maces.
  • Fenris308Fenris308 Member Posts: 118
    After Imoen relays the information Minsc lets out a childish groan.

"Puzzles argggh! Strahd wishes to hide behind puzzles?! Simply smash this hourglass and be done with it."
    Flame? Quayle looks about and tries to see any flame residue marks. He then goes to look at the four small stones. It sounds from the riddle as if the stones are shrinking, so he tries to see if they were once bigger than they are now.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Can Imoen check for traps and locks on the chest?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Awong124 said:

Can Imoen check for traps and locks on the chest?

Yes, I'll do :D
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    "Careful Imoen. I have little doubt that we are in the middle of a trap, but as long as we don't set it off, we might use the room to regain our strength."

She turns to Quayle, "It sounds like we better prepare spells that protect against fire. Alas, I'm only able to memorize one such spell. How about you? I reckon we can ask the shadowed one too, but I doubt she would listen to me."
    Imoen gets down and goes to work on the chest. The chest appears to be locked.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    Xan will examine the doors in the room, starting with the one on the south wall.
    I will check if the chest has traps, if it does not has/I don't find them, I open it (or pick it's lock if I haven't already).
    This lock stubbornly resists Imoen's attempts to pick it. She finds it extremely annoying. So much so that the next time she tries, it pops open and sets off a hissing gas trap. Imoen gives a surprised little cry and collapses over the top of the trunk, banging her chin quite painfully on the lip of the wood. Jaheira, Minsc and Faldorn also lose out when they get a whiff of the gas. Minsc falls into the room, knocking Quayle's mace free. The Door slams shut.

The rest of you hear a hissing noise from above. Now, the sand is falling from the top of the hourglass into the bottom. You think you have about five rounds (five minutes) until the top is empty.
    OOC: that was a Sleep Cloud trap or it was a Stinking Cloud trap?
    Kivan unceremoniously shoves Imoen off the top of the trunk so that he can examine its contents.
    "In the palm of my hand,
    When it's consumed

"It's a riddle...look in the palms"
    Xan rushes to the nearest statue and looks in the hands...

@CrevsDaak As far as anyone knows, it was Sleep Gas.
    Kivan finds the chest empty. But his keen elven eyes detect a false bottom… which also seems to be empty.
    Xan finds two stones. One Black, one Opal-colored.
    edited March 2014

"In the palm of my hand,
    When it's consumed

"It's a riddle...look in the palms"
    Xan rushes to the nearest statue and looks in the hands...

We already know there are small colored stones in the palms. Kivan will grab all the stones and examine them.
    Only one stone will come off at a time. Which color does he take?
    edited March 2014
    ...flames set you free

I grab the opal, after which I'll toss it in the brazier... (while hoping to hold back the impending doom)
    The flames in the brazier flare up to consume the stone, and you hear the sound of a door unlocking.
    Kivan will check which door unlocked. He will drag the unconscious Jaheira with him so she can wedge the door open so it doesn't close and lock again.
    This proves to the be the southern door. The door opens into a 30' long, 10' wide area. The far wall is made of cloth- Red velvet, to be exact, though the velvet is moth-eaten and dirty. It appears to be split down the middle (at the 15' mark), but you cannot see what, if anything, is beyond.
    After making sure Jaheira is firmly wedging the door open, Kivan will grab the red stone and toss it in the fire.
    edited March 2014
    Quayle shouts to Kivan to stop trying to kill them all. [META]Because 'flames set you free' sounds way better than 'flames don't set you free'[/META].
    Post edited by The_Potty_1 on
    Kivan is unable to get the red stone off the Statue's hand. Or any other stone, if he tries it. He does notice that the Opal stone is back in place (or another, seemingly identical one has replaced it).
    Quayle shouts, 'It's not going to let you take another stone until we unblock this door. look, I don't like the velvet room any more than you do, but I like it loads more than this room in five minutes. So let's move Jaheira, try the other three stones, choose a room pretty damn quick, and move all of these people out of here yes?' He starts pulling Jaheira back into the room.
This discussion has been closed.