Skip to content

The Tale of the Totemic Druid

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sorry when I said resistances I was meaning more spell/element resistances (since I was talking about using a wand). They have 100 percent missile resistance and a slew of status immunities but thats it.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Probably the most exciting thing I've seen being done so far this year around here. Keep us updated and no slacking! haha, j/k, but really
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHlolien

Freaking awesome! nihongo no hanasu nakama wa yokatta desu :)

You are doing a fantastic job of demonstrating the power of the totemic druid. I am looking forward to a report on your battle with Daveorn. That'll be a tricky one with all the traps and his constant dimension doors.

I can actually now update what I wrote earlier. I'm 12,000 xp away from being level 10 and I've not even entered peldvale, larswood, the bandit camp, firewine bridge/ruins, gullykin, durlag's tower (interior and exterior), and basically 3-4 other areas in the south-east. So you could have as many as two level 5 spells (level 10) before doing it.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Freaking sweeeeeeeeet! Go get those gauntlets of dexterity why or bracers of archery :)
    CrevsDaaklolien
    edited March 2014
    One enemy that I just came across that druids will have difficulty killing is the mustard jelly. All of your normal druid summons (Animal summoning 1, Animal Summoning 2) apparently use piercing attacks (not true and apparently irrelevant), which the jellies are immune to. The exception being the nymph (who has no chance at surviving). Their high magic resistance makes your spells (Call lightning) worthless against them. In my case since I have no sling proficiency and low strength (outside of my shapeshifter form) that just added to the difficulty (which to be honest wasn't all the difficult it was more of a surprise than anything). Personally I ended up beating them thanks to a few castings of Strength of One and a club+1 that I had. Its certainly a case where the Totemic Druid summons would come in handy. Just kind of interesting to come across a creature where none of my spells could help lol.

Edit: Nevermind about the whole piercing damage thing. The issue was that even the Animal Summon II creatures hit as though they have normal weapons (which considering its a level 5 spell is kind of stupid).
    Post edited by elminster on
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovkcwiselolien
    Yea, I was inspired to do my own solo totemic druid run (spent the last 3 days pretty much doing nothing else), and I feared the mustard jelly so I just exited the nashkel mines the way I came in and avoided them.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    btw I'm rocking icingdeath and buckleys buckler along with ankheg plate, gauntlets of dexterity, mulahay's ring, and boots of speed. So far I'm breezing through. I'm excited to see how I stand up in SoA
    CrevsDaakelminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2014

Yea, I was inspired to do my own solo totemic druid run (spent the last 3 days pretty much doing nothing else), and I feared the mustard jelly so I just exited the nashkel mines the way I came in and avoided them.

Those from the Nashkel Mines are Grey Ooze, I guess that you can take them.
    And you can exit the other area towards the West to avoid all the fights in it, if Narcilius was another trouble.
    lolien

Yea I'm trying to do all the encounters in the game. At least the non-random encounters. So I did it.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Ah, so you are a completionist. I'm not so much. My mission is to beat the game and get to SoA. Also, I don't have any mods on my game, so I have a hard xp cap to contend with, which makes spending more time in BG1 than necessary kind've a waste.
    lolien
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited March 2014
    I may be wrong but doesn't surplus xp gained in bg1 now carry over to bg2?

also with all these people playing totemic druid Id just like to let people know I played them before it was cool

elminsterlolien
    Yes surplus XP gained in BGEE can carry over to BG2EE. I'm counting on it to get the Greater Werewolf form at the start of BG2EE :)
    jackjackelementlolienKramerTheWeird
    so if my xp caps out at 157k or whatever it is, but I earn in reality, say 350k, when I import him over, he'll be 350k?!? Is this automatic or do I need to do something for it to happen? Man I tell ya, learn something new every day
    lolienNimran
    edited March 2014
    It'll be 350,000 when you import him. You can't check your total XP amount in BGEE (because it will just say 161,000) but if you use EEKeeper it will work (for instance mine right now is 170355). So its still being counted behind the scenes.

Edit: Hmm...I'm using 1.2 and its giving me some issues. I've actually lost experience since I wrote that 170,000 figure. I'll check the latest (beta) version to see how its working when I get the chance.
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Congratulations Karasu no Yoru, it's a dangerous path you're on but you're doing well for yourself, yes?

As for the mustard jellies, blunt weapons and elemental damage would be your best bet to beat them I think. Neera's staff (which you probably don't have) comes to mind. I wonder if there are any ways to protect yourself against the jellies' spit? If not I wouldn't bother yet...

Rock on!
    lolien
    Mustard jellies shouldn't be a problem for you because your summons are pretty resilient. You can just use a blunt weapon and have the summons distract the jelly and kill them yourself.
    elementCrevsDaakjackjacklolien
    Wow, I'm not used to seeing the bandit camp leaders outdoors. I always kill em in their tent. I will say this: my totemic druid got a little evil and killed Algernon for his cloak, so the first thing I did when I entered was charm the mage with the cloak, who horrored the enemy. After that it was spirit bear dinner time.
    Lemernislolien
    Methinks I need to install SCS. It's like I'm playing on the BG1 scout team while you all are playing in the Major League :(
    CrevsDaakArdullolien
    Hey! You been slacking man. Get back to work writing the tale of the Totemic Druid!
    Blackravenlolien
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @elminster‌ what are the latest news? Are XP over the cap being transferred to BG2?
    lolien
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Sorry to hear he died!
    CrevsDaakbadbromancelolien
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    An insightful tale. I'm also sorry he died. Your druid survived many difficult encounters, well done.
    Given your reliance on the spirit animals, I reckon that trueclass druid could even be more difficult to play, unless his shapeshifts are in anyway useful.
    lolien
    MacHurto said:

@elminster‌ what are the latest news? Are XP over the cap being transferred to BG2?

Not sure it still seems like its not always correctly working.

I didn't play SCS so I'm not sure how different the encounter with Davaeorn goes but I basically just had a bunch of summons (two Animal Summoning II and the rest Animal Summoning I) prepared in advance along with casting Bless, Strength of One and Defensive Harmony. I then triggered the traps and kept using the Wand of the Heavens against the battle horrors (and the summons were attacking them). I did have to retreat after I killed the first one but that was mostly needed as well to memorize Insect Plague prior to me having to fight Davaeorn.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    @bengoshi‌ your tale came to a premature and unfortunate end :( I hit him with insect plague and my spirit snake poisoned Daveorn and he never had a chance. I think you approached the battle overconfident and left your spirit animals to do the work. Did you not yet have insect plague and iron skins?
    lolien
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    SCS can be definitly challenging. Davaeron is done very well. In my current RP run, I've struggled as well and were forced to reload multiple times.

He had more protections than my arcane caster could wear down and squads of Black Talon Elites kept spamming every couple rounds. Very tactical heavy battle!
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolien