Skip to content

Roleplaying Challenge: Ravenloft

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @The_Potty_1 Everyone can have a go, if they like. I have the cut-out set of color Deck of Many Things from Dragon 148 (There was also a black and white set in Dungeon Magazine. I have those, too.) These are cut out and laminated. I will shuffle the cards before I pick one for you. Your characters can pick up to four cards at a time. Once everyone has either picked or declined to pick, the deck will disappear.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    edited March 2014
    Quayle looks at his companions. 'I say we head back through the red or black doors, and rest up' he announced. I'm out of spells entirely, Minsc needs healing, Alora's .. gone, we've had a rough time, and a break would be good. Plus I'd like a look at those cards Imoen found, if it's a real deck of many things, it could help us a huge amount. Or it could kill us with one draw, but really, in this place it'll have to get to the end of the line.'

[Spoiler]http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dmt/dmt.htm [/Spoiler]
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    OOC All right I'll pick two cards...
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    OOC I didn't even realize there was a table in the room. And you said we can pick 4 cards at a time, does that mean each character can pick 4 cards at a time or 4 characters can pick one card at a time?
    Quayle looks at Khalid in annoyance and says 'hey, let's get out of the fiery death-room before drawing killer cards ... actually that may not be a bad idea.'

He grabs the red stone, throws it in the fire, opens the left-most door, and says, 'Right, now no matter what happens, I suggest we all be in that room in the next five minutes. Imoen, may I see that deck of cards please.'

[Spoiler]Quayle would like to draw as many cards as he can get without seeming greedy. That is, if we each can have 4, then 4, if we get 4 between us, he would like one.

I suggest we get one each, or this thread is going to morph from death by Ravenloft to Kalesra's House of Fortune[/Spoiler]
    OOC @LadyRhian Please don't cut your magazine. Just use a normal set of cards or download and print a set from the internet :)
    edited March 2014
    mlnevese said:

OOC @LadyRhian Please don't cut your magazine. Just use a normal set of cards or download and print a set from the internet :)

I agree with you if they weren't already cut out. But from the way she posted, it sounded like she cut them out and played with them long ago.

And yes, Kivan will take 4 cards if it's 4 for each person. Otherwise he'll take 1.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Ok, I lend the Deck of Many Thing to Quayle, just one draw.
    Taking these in the order they were posted.

Khalid draws two cards. One is of a clawed hand grasping out of the darkness. All of Khalid's Magic items disappear permanently. The second shows a silver moon with two moonbeams coming out of it (Khalid is granted 2 wishes, and no, he cannot wish for his magic items back.)

(Khalid drew Talons and the Moon) (And don't worry, I bought the card set on Ebay. Amazing what you can find there.)

Quayle draws four cards- He gets one showing a flaming copper comet racing across the sky. A Copper Coronet of light scintillates around his brow. Second shows a Thief dressed in dark clothes showing a dagger. His face is filled with loathing. Third card is a severed Medusa's head with a terrible look on its greenish face. Quayle suddenly feels very… unlucky. The fourth and last card shows a small man dressed in Jester's garb juggling four colored balls. He feels that he can either make two more draws from the deck or… something else.

(Quayle drew Comet, Rogue, Euryale and Jester)

Kivan also draws four cards. The first shows a young man in a Dunce Cap, looking foolish. Kivan feels as if his wits have gone "Gluey" and its hard for him to think. The next card shows two demonic-looking eyes staring out of a roaring conflagration.he shivers, as if something has just walked over his grave. Third shows the brilliant sun in its glorious noonday aspect. Kivan feels more experienced, and a pair of bracers engraved with his name on them appear. Lastly is the picture of a door key made of gleaming silver and inset with gems. A map appears, wrapped around a Longbow.

Kivan drew Idiot (Lose 2 points intelligence), Flames, Sun and Key.
    OOC In other words we're all lucky Khalid's underwear is not magical :)
    OOC What?! I didn't know bad effects can happen! At least I got off pretty easy, just 2 INT points lost. And got two cool new items!

Kivan places the items in his pack. He makes a mental note about asking someone to identify the bracers and longbow, and looking at that map once he's out of the flame room.
    Quayle's smile resembles a rictus of death, but he says 'my, what an interesting artifact. i believe I will draw two more cards.'

[Spoiler]Surprise :p

OK So Khalid lost his stuff but gets two wishes, these wishes are the same as those granted by the 9th-level wizard spell and must be used within two minutes.

Quayle will gain a level if he manages to win the next fight solo (yeah right), also someone in the group now secretly holds a murderous hate for him, and he lost a point to each of his saves. On the plus side he may draw two more cards. Whoohoo!.

Kivan scored. OK yes he lost two points of intelligence, and an outsider will attack him in the next 1d20 days unless a party member is killed, but on the plus side he got XP, an item and a weapon. OK this may be some usage of the word 'scored' I haven't previously heard :p

OK, more draws. The thing is, the powergamer in me has always seen Quayle here as too low level to affect the outcome of this campaign. So yes, he's drawn two bad cards, and two neutral cards. Even so, without more XP, he will continue to not affect this campaign in any meaningful way. So, bartender, two more tequilas over here.[/Spoiler]
    Khalid speaks without any hesitation.

I wish the entire group is fully healed and restored. I wish to have a longsword that can destroy undead on touch.

OOC The wish for the sword is only to be considered if healed and restored do not count as two different wishes.
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    Well, I guess I'll try a single card.
    edited March 2014
    Quayle has thought better of taking two other cards, sometimes you have to cut your losses.

[Spoiler]OOC Actually, anybody have any ideas how to figure out what .. something else might be? Oh. Oooh. Right. That will do nicely :D

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Deck_of_Many_Things

AS for Khalid's wishes, niiiice ..

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm

I would say we can heal ourselves, and actually no-one is level drained so no restoration is necessary?

The sword of disruption is a great idea and if you could add level drain protection, that would be even better. If that all falls under one wish, then for your second wish you could boost a stat of your choice?[/Spoiler]
    Post edited by The_Potty_1 on
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    edited March 2014
    Remember that wishes should be worded in a way that leaves little to no "wiggle" room...
    Post edited by Fighting_Ferret on
    Um ... guys ...

Quayle was just digging through his pack, and brings out a scroll, with a look of horror on his face. Then he looks really shifty, shoves it back in the case, and looks guiltily around to see if anyone noticed.

[Spoiler]I just went back 20 pages to see what Quayle's carrying, and .. well, Alora ( @permidion_Stark ), if you want back in, I found a scroll of raise dead in my pack, and as pennance I am prepared to walk back to that room and raise you.

Quayle picks up a Mace +3 from the floor, and gives it a swing. He gives a nod.

He then walks over to the pile of loot, and selects a Shield +3, Pearl of Wisdom, Ring of Fire Resistance, Ring of Elemental Command (Air), Cloak of Protection +2, Staff of Curing, Necklace of Missiles, Scrolls of Charm Person, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Drawn on Holy Might, Heal, Cure Light Wounds, Aid, & Raise Dead, the Bracers of Defense AC7, and also Scale Mail +1. He equips all but the scale mail.

Quayle also picked up all of your stuff.

Alora will take the Luckstone (to take the place of her Lucky Rabbit's Foot, which she rather unluckily has lost)); she will take the Sling of Seeking +2; the Sword +1 Luckblade (Alora is all about being lucky); she'd like the Ring of Protection +6 but is worried about looking greedy so she will put it on pretending she doesn't know what it is and start whistling in an ignore-me-I'm-not-doing-anything-kind-of-way. Finally she will take one of the Ropes of Climbing.

Edit: Alora has also got the Robe of Blending

On the subject of the Jester draw, Quayle should gain 10k XP. Quayle is currently level 3/3, which puts his total XP somewhere between 10 - 12k, half that value in each class. Adding 10k bumps him up to level 4/4, and allows him to cast 3x L1 & 2x L2 spells as a cleric, and because he's a gnome, he can cast 4x L1 & 3x L2 spells as an illusionist.

On the Comet draw, Quayle would like to try and solo the next fight, assuming it's in any way possible. If I succeed I gain enough XP to gain a level. I'm assuming this will only be a level of cleric (C5/M4), but I'll take a level of each too (5/5) :D[/Spoiler]
    "Have you looked at the map yet Kivan?"
    Where are you resting?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    LadyRhian said:

Where are you resting?

Nowhere near Kivan :P
    LOL. On the bright side, now Minsc and Kivan have the same INT score...
    lockmund said:

"Have you looked at the map yet Kivan?"

"I kind of want to get out of the room where it's possible to get roasted alive first."
    "I believe I said i'd like a card, Imoen" @LadyRhian‌

(Oh yes, Cespenar is poking the GM. Ending well, this is!)
    @lockmund Jaheira draws a card with an armored man saluting with his sword. A man with that same armor appears before the party. "What is thy pleasure, milady?" he asks, bowing to Jaheira.

(Jaheira has drawn "Knight".)
    "She's no lady, believe me."
    "Greetings Sir knight, and most welcome. We are in dire need of your aid, for we mean to do battle with a vampire Lord. Alas, our party consist of a dead halfling, a ranger that takes instructions from his rodent, another one that is a pervert, the vampires unwilling paramour, a warrior without sword or armor..." (Jaheira sighs and takes a deep breath before she continues, voice slightly broken).

"... a gnome that pulls people's hair, a thief that just won't pay attention, a paladin that won't do battle, a corrupted druid and a mage that can manage to make even this place gloomier. And then there is me of course, I'm Jaheira, but my destiny to be a Lady never came to be, so the pervert's statement stands."

"How long can you stay?"
    @lockmund "Forever, milady. I am yours to command." He salutes you with a clenched fist over his heart and a bow of his head.
    "Excellent, I shall do my outmost to care for your well being. This is my husband Khalid. Do you have a name, sir?"

"Quayle, do you have an extra of those maces? Our latest addition might need one. What about you, dear? Did that wish work?"
    Quayle hands the knight a spare +3 mace. He then goes through the left north door to the base of the staircase they came down, sits down, and refreshes his spellbooks.

OOC Select 4x cure light wounds, Protection from evil, Chant, Aid, Draw upon holy might, 4x magic missile, Mirror image, glitterdust, & Aganazzar's scorcher.
    The Knight smiles. "You may call me Timoneous, milady."

The group is healed and restored. (While there is no sword that kills undead at a touch, I'll substitute something as close to that as can be managed.) A flaming sword appears in Khalid's hand (Hey, a sword +1, Flametongue, is +4 vs Undead).
This discussion has been closed.