Skip to content

Did R. A. Salvatore read this thread?

ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
Anyone else follow Salvatore's books? I am in the process of reading his latest release, Night of the Hunter, and the internal struggle/debate Drizzt is having is so incredibly similar to the debate we had in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29868/why-is-hexxat-evil-exactly/p1

A quote: I am haunted by the expression on Bruenor's face, and by the words of Catti-brie. "The burden you carry blurs your judgment," she told me without reservation. "As you see yourself, you hope to find in others-in orcs and goblins, even." I wanted to argue, but found I could not. I wanted to scream against them both, to tell them that fate is not predetermined by nature, that a reasoning being could escape the determination of heredity, that intellect could overwhelm instinct. I wanted to tell them that I had escaped. I am filled with conflict. I wish to know, I must know! I am afraid to know.

Thoughts? Perhaps even the loremasters of our Forgotten Realms are not yet sure of the answer to the questions that were raised and skillfully debated right here, at the forums of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Perhaps we, with our unbridled enthusiasm at debating the realities of the Forgotten Realms and the nature of the creatures that reside there, are in fact unwittingly participating in the development of the Realm that we so love. Who can say?

@element‌ @Viconia_DeVir‌ @the_spyder‌ @Heindrich‌ @Nihilus‌ @WebShaman‌ @Coutelier‌
Fredjo

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    A good writer steals all the best ideas where they can and when they can.

The art of mish-mashing them together, then rephrasing them into a textual whole is the real skill.

You would be surprised how many works of literature are simply modern retellings of plays, ideas, first written down by Shakespeare, being the writer most others raid for ideas first.

I would not be surprised if Mr Salvatore did indeed read the thread.

A hello from the good man would be most polite and awesome...
    jackjackbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Well I have read and liked most of your earlier books, so cheers for that. Also from your name, I'm glad to see you're an addict like the rest of us ;p
    booinyoureyes
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @booinyoureyes - I believe you, you do write well. How about a cryptic twitter shoutout for the forum though? ;)
    booinyoureyes
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80

Perhaps even the loremasters of our Forgotten Realms are not yet sure of the answer to the questions that were raised and skillfully debated right here, at the forums of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Perhaps we, with our unbridled enthusiasm at debating the realities of the Forgotten Realms and the nature of the creatures that reside there, are in fact unwittingly participating in the development of the Realm that we so love. Who can say?

While I cannot be certain that our particular discussion was taken into account, I do believe similar struggles have been present to one degree or another for a long while in such tales of that other Drow. Whether one is a loremaster or not, the answers to such questions continue to prove elusive to a great many, and remain compelling fodder for many a storyteller we could name, I believe. Unbridled enthusiam accounts for much of interest to be found in the strangest of places - perhaps it is a case of great minds thinking alike.

Should you prove to be incognito, @booinyoureyes‌; the other Drow we mention - though a little on the luscious side - is nothing compared to me and deserves no mention when I am a worthier topic!

booinyoureyesZaknafeinBaenrejackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2014

I am actually RA Salvatore
    So this is not true then?
    I
    am
    The
    Lord
    of
    CHAOSSSSSS!!!!!!
    booinyoureyesjackjack
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    C'mon guys if I was really him don't u think I'd give Drizzt a smaller and furrier animal companion?
    CorvinoCrevsDaakjackjack
    Maybe it's just to throw us off the scent? How small is Guenhwyvar in figurine form anyway? And how furry?

I don't believe your denials, Mr. Salvatore. Your cover is blown ;)
    booinyoureyesjackjack
    edited March 2014
    Dang!
    Okay I admit it. I also apologize profusely for what I did to Wulfgar's character.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    CorvinoCrevsDaakAristilliusFredjo
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349

While I cannot be certain that our particular discussion was taken into account, I do believe similar struggles have been present to one degree or another for a long while in such tales of that other Drow. Whether one is a loremaster or not, the answers to such questions continue to prove elusive to a great many, and remain compelling fodder for many a storyteller we could name, I believe. Unbridled enthusiam accounts for much of interest to be found in the strangest of places - perhaps it is a case of great minds thinking alike.

If it truly is simply a case of "great minds thinking alike" then I must say it was well timed. Perhaps by the time I finish the book, I'll know the answer to the debate we engaged in, or perhaps I'll only be left with more questions.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

I am actually RA Salvatore
    Do you mean THE Salvatore ?

booinyoureyes
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    im also R.A. Salvador
    booinyoureyesZaknafeinBaenreFredjojackjack
    But where's Spartacus?
    Quartz
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    [Spoiler]I'm Spartacus![/Spoiler]
    CorvinoQuartz
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    [/spoiler]
    I'm Batman!!
    [spoiler]
    FredjoCrevsDaak
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    No! I'm Batman!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'm twice the batman either one of you are!!
    Anduin
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    CrevsDaakjackjackQuartzNonnahswriter
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I am become death! Destroyer of worlds!
    jackjack
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Ack ye fools! I try to make a serious post about morality and a great debate and how it showed up in the most recent Salvatore thread and this is what I got to show for it! Batminton?!? REALLY!!!??! Bah!
    CorvinojackjackCrevsDaakNonnahswriter
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited March 2014
    Salvatore does occasionaly read fan forums, if there is a good reason at least. There is a youtube video of an interview, in which he admits posting a question in a forum, using an alias, about Jarlaxle's equipment. He wanted to get a full list and make sure he was being consistent, but had a deadline and didn't have the time go back and reread every book Jarlaxle appears in. Can't find it though. I really don't think he would read the Baldur's Gate forums though. Too computer game oriented. Most probably any similarity in ideas is just a coincidence. Moral problems concerning good and evil are finite, after all.

EDIT: Found the video! Min. 39:00 to 41:30...

I'm Zorro!
    Post edited by Michail on
    booinyoureyesZaknafeinBaenre
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    [spoiler]Look how annoying I am
    Quartz said:

Look how annoying I am
    @Quartz‌ no need for spoiler tag
    [spoiler] we already knew that

:o
    QuartzCrevsDaak