Skip to content

Phase III: The Usability Tune-Up

Comments

• LrdApocLrdApoc Member Posts: 10
    matthileo said:

I think you're confusing two different issues. Whether or not the beta can be made available on the Amazon Marketplace, and whether or not the final version can be are separate problems. Amazon provides no system for beta testing, so you may be left out of the beta. That doesn't mean you'll be left out of the final release. It's entirely possible they could release on the Amazon app store as well. I would imagine that depends most on their contracts, rather than technical stuff.

Unfortunately they are the same issue.. I just expressed both near term and long term concerns together and made a plea to consider we Kindle Fire users.

I have been active since the first grouping of Community Beta tests for Android as a beta tester.. and that was due to the availability of the testing app on Amazon. With a move to Google Play I no longer have that opportunity.

I don't know how many Kindle Fire users are represented within the sample, or how much general interest there is for the platform as a development target. The platform and store that makes Beamdog the best profit is obviously the priority.

I want Beamdog to complete the Droid port regardless of the availability on Amazon's store. I was just taking the opportunity to share my perspective as a Kindle user. I am fortunate in that I have multiple Android tablets in my home that ultimately I could play this on. The Kindle Fire however is the one I prefer.
    Souldancertn
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @LrdApoc‌ I don't think Overhaul has much choice about the change to Google Play beta system, because Testflight (the current beta system) is removing support for Android very shortly. If Overhaul doesn't move to GP before that happens, then no one will be testing Android at all.

There are other possibilities for Android beta testing systems, though I personally have no experience with any of them so I can't say how they compare etc.

• MoravenMoraven Member Posts: 8
    Dee said:

Just a quick head's up--we're starting beta testing for an update on all platforms, but that doesn't mean we're stopping work on Android.

Rly nice, but unfortunately after all it looks like you have stopped working on Android to push 1.3 first.
    matthileo
  • SiriomSiriom Member Posts: 12
    Wow someone with 2 brain cells. People are actually "sheeple" mate.
    This has been pushed back so many times for so many reasons i lost count.
    This forum post on "how do you droid" is obviously an attempt to divert attention from the fact they pushed it back again.
    Moraven said:

Dee said:

Just a quick head's up--we're starting beta testing for an update on all platforms, but that doesn't mean we're stopping work on Android.

Rly nice, but unfortunately after all it looks like you have stopped working on Android to push 1.3 first.
    matthileo
  • djseemanndjseemann Member Posts: 10
    What date to relese? Thx.
    matthileo
  • evilbeerevilbeer Member Posts: 2
    At this point, I would be willing to go down a "steam greenlight" type of road. The only thing I really care about is save files. I'll play a buggy BGEE (which relative to gemrb, will feel bug free) as long as save files aren't inadvertently corrupted.

I'd even play that Kangaxx bugged game where he spawns everywhere.
  • DannyBarkleyDannyBarkley Member Posts: 50
    Definitely agree that waiting for a game to be done right is better - see for example Stick of Truth.

At this point, though, I've been waiting so long for BG:EE on Android that I'll probably skip it and wait for BG2:EE. Better game, and I honestly don't know if I can face Candlekeep again :-p
    fooflamfinn
  • crockadockcrockadock Member Posts: 3
    I would just like to know how we went from: "We don't have hard dates for other than PC. Mac, iPad, Android are all the 15th or later. We hope to have all done before Christmas." -Trent 9:50 PM - 12 Nov 2013
    To the later half of March trying to find a new home for testing the app.

I have been paying close attention to the game since before I knew it was going to be an android release. Going back a few years ago when BGEE was just a count down timer on a website. When I found out BG was coming for Android it was like prayers had been answered. Now I just feel like I am being toyed with.
    Moraven
  • RonnaannRonnaann Member Posts: 48
    So the how do you android thread has been closed. Still no update on the beta for how long now? 2 weeks? More?
    Moraven
  • rickbdmanrickbdman Member Posts: 8
    Guys, relax, things take time. They're working on multiple fronts to update and publish software, which is a much more complex thing than it sounds on the surface.
    Aristilliuskaguana
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Yeah, I feel as if people forget that beamdog isn't a big software company with hundreds of employees, I'm sure they're all working as hard as they can on this, but good things take time.
  • crockadockcrockadock Member Posts: 3
    rickbdman said:

Guys, relax, things take time. They're working on multiple fronts to update and publish software, which is a much more complex thing than it sounds on the surface.

I understand that things take time. I want to see the job done right. Also, the reality is they never made any promises about when it would be released. Beamdog has just done a disappointing job of managing their customer's expectations while making it abundantly clear that android is at the bottom of their priority list. It seems like they take the android team off of android to work on theother platforms and updates but even when BGIIee was released it didnot seem like more than 1 or 2 people were ever working on android.

Don't get me wrong I am going to buy the game and Iam sure it will be great. I want to give them my money right now. It is just disapointing the way it was handled.
    AristeueinMoraven
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57

even when BGIIee was released it didnot seem like more than 1 or 2 people were ever working on android.

Im sure I read somewhere that there are only 7 people who work for Beamdog.

Only 1 of them is a coder working on the #Android port.
  • WrongsidesWrongsides Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2014
    I am a little surprised by the apparent priorities of beamdog, I mean an Android release is a cash cow... I would have thought pushing out a stable release with future over the air updates would be the order of things, I mean they could use all those android purchases to hire some staff to work on the patches or their new products.

There is no real money in a patch, pushing 1.3 out early doesn't really help the business.

matthileosmartroadAristillius
  • evilbeerevilbeer Member Posts: 2
    I have to say that this is among the most civil complaining I've seen on the Internet. Doubly so when one considers how many delays the android port has seen. Such is the strength of the (forthcoming) product.
    Aristillius
  • AristeueinAristeuein Member Posts: 11
    rickbdman said:

Yes, well on the front of this page it says "Android: Coming soon".
    It doesn't say "Android: 'Tis com-pli-cat-ed".
    If it did, we would perhaps adjust our expectations accordingly ;)

I'm dissapointed that this takes so long, and atm I don't really know what to expect anymore. I will of course buy the game when it is released, and I do appreciate the work they put into this, but communication has not been working well (in my opinion).

matthileoMoravenFaydark
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    As someone anticipating Half-Life 3/Ep3 since Ep2 (2007), this delay is nothing :D
    Aristeuein
  • djseemanndjseemann Member Posts: 10
    When when when ?!
    Huskarl2006
  • veryproudmonkeyveryproudmonkey Member Posts: 10
    *chirp chirp*
  • fooflamfinnfooflamfinn Member Posts: 18
    You know what? I feel bad for the person doing the Android coding. Not because it's Android; just because they've been stuck staring at the same (general) pile of code for a while now. I just hope they've got some other eyes as back up in the office, especially for testing (besides us). Just doing Oracle coding I can say my eyes start seeing weird things when staring at the same queries/data for a while...
    Aristilliuswigglesg
    #Android is alive...

Im not sure if we can talk about it or not though...

#Keepthefaith
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    Suprised this hasnt been announced yet but be on the look out for a google+ invite to the baldurs gate group. The invite is for beta testing the expanded play store beta/demo version for android. They are having some issues with downloading, having devices be approved, and scope. As always please be patient as they have mentioned amending the download. This started less than 24 hours ago on the play store so again, be patient.
    fooflamfinn
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    Cr4zyJ said:

Suprised this hasnt been announced yet but be on the look out for a google+ invite to the baldurs gate group. The invite is for beta testing the expanded play store beta/demo version for android. They are having some issues with downloading, having devices be approved, and scope. As always please be patient as they have mentioned amending the download. This started less than 24 hours ago on the play store so again, be patient.

How many years do you have to wait for an already released game before you're allowed to stop being patient?

In seriousness, how are they sending out the G+ invites? I don't want to be left out.
    Cr4zyJ said:

I wasn't sure if we can talk about it, hence my post yesterday -
    Out2lunch said:

#Android is alive...

Im not sure if we can talk about it or not though...

#Keepthefaith

Yes #Android is back in testing through the Play Store and a private group on Google+, so check your spam folders etc.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Google+ has some odd limits on the number of invites you can send before it stops you, but if you want to ensure you'll get an invite, make sure you have a Google+ account set up; it won't let us invite anyone that isn't part of the network.
This discussion has been closed.