Skip to content

The exploits of Teyl, the Evil Strifeleader/Thief (no-reload, initially solo) Spoiler alert!

1235»

Comments

• AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201
    Nice thread Raven. I liked Teyl. It is a shame he died. I hope you decide to try a druid next: my favorite class. Would love to read a playthrough with a druid.

I have played druid several times: twice years ago and once recently part-way through BGII (Torgal shredded him). I highly recommend a Totemic Druid over an Avenger, especially for a solo run. Having played both several times through much of the game, I am confident that the totemic druid outperforms the avenger in a group, but even more so solo. You would be surprised how little you actually use those mage spells (the druid spells at every level are actually better more often than not, with the exception of web at 2nd level- are you really going to give up an Insect Swarm for Chaos- and as nice as improved invisibility is... how many Call Woodland Creatures do you intend to sacrifice to be invisible? ). The Avenger shapechanges aren´t that special (other than the swordspider, which loses its free action... bs... in BGII).

I have some nice images of my battle in Duchal palace, which I finally got around to tonight, on Aurorus that I will post when I get to that point in my posts. Jaheira truly was a force of nature in that battle, basically soloing it with her nymphs and an assist from Imoen´s greater malison. With a couple of spirit wolves, she could have soloed it, I am certain.

The problem that you will encounter though is that the totemic druid lacks his own "punch" after getting his summons out, except outdoors, but the summons give you a lot of options and solutions to many different problems: wolves paralyze after 3rd level, snakes poison and have free action (for mages), the lions get 3 attacks per round once you reach 5th level and after (for tearing up mirror images), and the bear can cause fear. With doom, you have a nice spell to lower saves and soften up enemies for your summons´ special abilities. Go with darts and staves to start. Then, surprisingly, I recommend taking single-weapon specialty at 4th level... why? for flame blade, which will serve you well until 8th level when you can take 2-handed weapon for your staff; at 12th level take scimitar and you are pretty much set.
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201
    I forgot to mention that the totemic druid can wear ankherg plate and the avenger cannot: which really makes all the difference in BGI.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Aurorus said:

Nice thread Raven. I liked Teyl. It is a shame he died. I hope you decide to try a druid next: my favorite class. Would love to read a playthrough with a druid.

I have played druid several times: twice years ago and once recently part-way through BGII (Torgal shredded him). I highly recommend a Totemic Druid over an Avenger, especially for a solo run. Having played both several times through much of the game, I am confident that the totemic druid outperforms the avenger in a group, but even more so solo. You would be surprised how little you actually use those mage spells (the druid spells at every level are actually better more often than not, with the exception of web at 2nd level- are you really going to give up an Insect Swarm for Chaos- and as nice as improved invisibility is... how many Call Woodland Creatures do you intend to sacrifice to be invisible? ). The Avenger shapechanges aren´t that special (other than the swordspider, which loses its free action... bs... in BGII).

I have some nice images of my battle in Duchal palace, which I finally got around to tonight, on Aurorus that I will post when I get to that point in my posts. Jaheira truly was a force of nature in that battle, basically soloing it with her nymphs and an assist from Imoen´s greater malison. With a couple of spirit wolves, she could have soloed it, I am certain.

The problem that you will encounter though is that the totemic druid lacks his own "punch" after getting his summons out, except outdoors, but the summons give you a lot of options and solutions to many different problems: wolves paralyze after 3rd level, snakes poison and have free action (for mages), the lions get 3 attacks per round once you reach 5th level and after (for tearing up mirror images), and the bear can cause fear. With doom, you have a nice spell to lower saves and soften up enemies for your summons´ special abilities. Go with darts and staves to start. Then, surprisingly, I recommend taking single-weapon specialty at 4th level... why? for flame blade, which will serve you well until 8th level when you can take 2-handed weapon for your staff; at 12th level take scimitar and you are pretty much set.

Thank you very much @Aurorus for taking the time to read and comment on my journal. It's much appreciated. As to running a druid, I actually started a playthrough a couple of days ago. You can read about it here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31317/a-narrative-of-the-life-and-adventures-of-aya-avenger-druid-of-candlekeep#latest
    This was before your recommendation of trying a Totemic Druid. Traditionally it's my favourite drid kit, as I'm more into a summoning than a shapeshifting druid, but I must admit that my experiences with he Totemic Druid are minimal (I tend to kit Jaheira into a Fighter/Totemic Druid, but that's not the same as a straight Totemic Druid). Your description and @Bengoshi's solid run with a Totemic Druid suggest that it's an underrated kit. Either way I'm having a good time with my Avenger, who's quite versatile and even though she's had a few rough encounters, she's generally breezed through the first part of the game.
    I've got to go to work now. I will catch up on Aurorus the Archer's journal. I really appreaciate reading it. Your descriptions of battles are detailed which make them very insightful. I also like how you highlight your party members and their roles in your party. Keep up the good work!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @Blackraven‌ Thank you ! I am actually considering it but I don't think my english is good enough to write an interesting story. If I find a really cool character concept I will try to make something with it.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Gotural, you're welcome, and I wouldn't worry too much about your English. First of all I don't see a problem with your English and secondly this forum is very international, with lots of non-native speakers. I for one would be interested in reading your journal, regardless of possible spelling or grammar mistakes. No-reload journals are generally very insightful to read.