Skip to content

A Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Aya, Avenger Druid of Candlekeep

2»

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hey Mr modest ;) Don't say that, makes me look even less modest lol..
    What instruments do you play?
    Aristillius
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Hahaha Nonsense! You've said nothing boastful so far! Or maybe I didn't notice it because I'm boastful too. ;)

Piano is the one I took for 9 years. I confess I don't play it much nowadays, but it's handy for when I want to practice my choral music. I own and know how to play an ocarina, but it's not a terribly musically diverse instrument, (especially my small 5 hole ocarina) so I mostly pick it up around Christmastime to amuse myself with carols. I've tried learning guitar (as has just about every male I think) several times over the years, but about eight or nine months ago I really got into it and have actually learned a decent bit, though it's mostly finding tabs\chords for songs I want to play and then figuring them out.
    Far out! Piano and guitar are both amazing instruments. I sucked at the guitar when I was 13 years old, was too impatient :/
    I actually had to google Ocarina, had never heard of it....
    Not a Legend of Zelda fan, I take it? ;p

I had the same problem with guitar when I was younger, but I've found that as long as you have the patience to figure stuff out and are undaunted by a challenging song, you can always find the inspiration to keep going, just by finding sheet music for the songs you like. There's a website I use with just about every song you could want on it for guitar. Piano sheet music is a bit harder to find, at least for free... =\
    Blackravenlolien
    Well at this point I wonder whether I'll ever start playing the guitar again. Oil painting is a priority, but for that I'll first have to get out of this hellhole :p (kidding, it's not that bad, but I will move in a few months)
    ElrandirJuliusBorisov
    Hey, painting's awesome too. =p
    BlackravenCrevsDaak
    :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Blackraven and @Aurorus

I reported that bug as soon as I could play BG2:EE back in November, 2013^ http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24133/avenger-s-spider-form-is-not-immune-to-the-web-spell#latest

At first I didn't like this behavior but as I went on my run I started to accept it. At least, Avenger's spider-form in BG2:EE can poison enemies so with a right item or spell this spider becomes even more lethal than in BG1:EE. Ring of Free Action + 3 webs + Avenger's spider-form = profit;)
    Blackraven
    edited April 2014
    I've warmed up to continuing my no-reload campaign with Aya & friends (after a failed no-reload attempt with a solo Mage/Swashbuckler) and discovered two things.
    (1) I apparently deleted my latest save, so I will have to replay a number of already journalled events, including the Tranzig fight, Hobgoblins for Boots of Stealth, and Lamalha & co. Especially the latter fight can prove difficult (it did so last time). I could ctrl-y them, or simply fight and see what happens. It would be silly to die at a point I had already passed. Anyway, this is all hypothetical, I should of course take the four down...
    (2) It seems Aya can't cast the mini-fireballs while in Salamander form. If I click on the Cast Spell button I can only see Aya's normal spells and under the Special Abilities button the spell doesn't appear either. Another thing I noticed is that the SCS 'shapeshift tokens' - which allow shapeshifting into the respective forms and back to normal at will - don't seem to disappear over time. Does anyone know whether this is intended? I would have expected the shapehifting to be possible during a fixed amount of time, e.g. number of rounds, or maybe 8 hours per day after which rest would be required to restore the ability.
    CrevsDaakElrandir
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Another thing I noticed is that the SCS 'shapeshift tokens' - which allow shapeshifting into the respective forms and back to normal at will - don't seem to disappear over time.

Oh, nice! I'll get Cernd for a quick time just to make one for my K/C/A PC, probably tomorrow I'll have everythign ready to play :D again!

I've warmed up to continuing my no-reload campaign with Aya & friends (after a failed no-reload attempt with a solo Mage/Swashbuckler) and discovered two things.
    (1) I apparently deleted my latest save, so I will have to replay a number of already journalled events, including the Tranzig fight, Hobgoblins for Boots of Stealth, and Lamalha & co. Especially the latter fight can prove difficult (it did so last time).

That really sucks man, a while ago I deleted a save after doing all the Hell Trials in BG2:EE and I had to do ALL of Sundalessenar again, so I know how bad it feels.

(2) It seems Aya can't cast the mini-fireballs while in Salamander form. If I click on the Cast Spell button I can only see Aya's normal spells and under the Special Abilities button the spell doesn't appear either.

If you hand me a save I can fix it with Near Infinity, or I can fix it without it, but I'll need that 'Shapeshifting Paw' ITM file *and* the related spells if so.
    If you want to do it by yourself you should 1) check if that spell is really an Innate and it's tagged as such. 2) Check that the Shapeshifting Paw isn't blocking Innate abilities 3) Try it again in-game to see if it works.
    Blackraven
    CrevsDaak said:

Oh, nice! I'll get Cernd for a quick time just to make one for my K/C/A PC, probably tomorrow I'll have everythign ready to play :D again!

Hahahahaa, well interestingly, my party members couldn't use the tokens, so unless your allstar NPC has UAI, (s)he won't be able to use them....
    CrevsDaak said:

That really sucks man, a while ago I deleted a save after doing all the Hell Trials in BG2:EE and I had to do ALL of Sundalessenar again, so I know how bad it feels.

Ah, but that's worse than my situation. You had a lot more to replay than I do... Am sorry to hear that :(
    If I have to do something again, like replaying a portion of the game or retyping a text I had written before, I always wonder whether my previous work was better, whether I've forgotten something etc.
    CrevsDaak said:

If you hand me a save I can fix it with Near Infinity, or I can fix it without it, but I'll need that 'Shapeshifting Paw' ITM file *and* the related spells if so.
    If you want to do it by yourself you should 1) check if that spell is really an Innate and it's tagged as such. 2) Check that the Shapeshifting Paw isn't blocking Innate abilities 3) Try it again in-game to see if it works.

In Shadowkeeper the only Fire Salamanders I can find are flagged 'Enemy', and they don't have the Innate fireball ability. The file you'd need is BALDUR.SAV from my save folder yes? I'm trying to attach it to this post, but it won't upload :/
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2014

CrevsDaak said:

In Shadowkeeper the only Fire Salamanders I can find are flagged 'Enemy', and they don't have the Innate fireball ability. The file you'd need is BALDUR.SAV from my save folder yes? I'm trying to attach it to this post, but it won't upload :/
    The save is composed by the whole 0000000 folder, take a look with NI, you won't find anything with SK, I recommend opening your save and looking at the spells, which should be applied to be given by the paws.

CrevsDaak said:

Hahahahaa, well interestingly, my party members couldn't use the tokens, so unless your allstar NPC has UAI, (s)he won't be able to use them....
    No, I'm going to keep it until UAI :D I done this a long time ago but I was not sure if they were going to expire or not so I dropped them.

CrevsDaak said:

Ah, but that's worse than my situation. You had a lot more to replay than I do... Am sorry to hear that :(
    If I have to do something again, like replaying a portion of the game or retyping a text I had written before, I always wonder whether my previous work was better, whether I've forgotten something etc.
    It was more than a month ago ;) but anyway I had forgotten to pick up the Meteor Swarm scroll and have not realized. I wonder the same, but in the end, the second time I re-play/re-wrote it I think that it's better because I knew the mistakes I could have made/did in my previous work.
    @CrevsDaak, ok, will try NI (am not very proficient with it, but maybe I'll learn something from it).
    As to the tokens, I think the more interesting one would be the Shapshifter's (rebalanced) Werewolf token.

I agree that the opportunity of doing things a second time has its advantages :)
    CrevsDaak
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201

(2) It seems Aya can't cast the mini-fireballs while in Salamander form. If I click on the Cast Spell button I can only see Aya's normal spells and under the Special Abilities button the spell doesn't appear either. Another thing I noticed is that the SCS 'shapeshift tokens' - which allow shapeshifting into the respective forms and back to normal at will - don't seem to disappear over time. Does anyone know whether this is intended? I would have expected the shapehifting to be possible during a fixed amount of time, e.g. number of rounds, or maybe 8 hours per day after which rest would be required to restore the ability.

Sorry to hear about the lost save. You may have just used quick-save thinking you would return to her immediately and then moved on to another toon and lost her progress (I did this with Amend after I switched over to my bard and druid- losing a map or so).

This is one of my major complaints about SCS, using this rather cheesy and fairly broken mod for shapeshifting. The tokens do not seem to disappear (and can be traded as I showed you with Jaheira becoming a werewolf). The instantaneous shapechange is fairly exploitable too and does not make much sense.

All that said, glad to see you returning to Aya- always like to hear about druid things, especially when successful, which I have not been lately with druids.

Aurorus said:

Sorry to hear about the lost save. You may have just used quick-save thinking you would return to her immediately and then moved on to another toon and lost her progress (I did this with Amend after I switched over to my bard and druid- losing a map or so).

This is one of my major complaints about SCS, using this rather cheesy and fairly broken mod for shapeshifting. The tokens do not seem to disappear (and can be traded as I showed you with Jaheira becoming a werewolf). The instantaneous shapechange is fairly exploitable too and does not make much sense.

All that said, glad to see you returning to Aya- always like to hear about druid things, especially when successful, which I have not been lately with druids.

Yes, an overwritten quicksave makes sense...
    As to SCS shapeshifting, it's a component of the mod. An option is to uninstall that component but leaving the other components intact, which I'm considering atm.

Either way I'll be continuing Aya, glad you appreciate it, and will also try to get my dwarven Skald up and running...
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201
    The only problem with removing that component is that the AI uses it (for the druids in Cloakwood in BGI, for example), so removing it will likely cause scripting errors, and at the very least, bizarre behavior from NPC druids, possibly even game-crashing bugs.
    BlackravenCrevsDaak
    @Aurorus: Ouch, maybe I'll keep my install as it is then...