Skip to content

The Story of Grynne, Executioner of Wizards (New Attempt)

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Nah, she's going to explore the southeastern part of the game and then take a day off at the carnival, and THEN tackle Nashkel. I have a piece of gear I want from those areas, and once she's completed Nashkel, well, I think the main quest will take precedence over most everything else. I'll be hopefully completing all the southeastern areas tonight, though, in a super long chapter. That's the plan, anyway.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Gear in the Southeast? Hmm a belt maybe? My memory of vanilla BG(EE) is a bit hazy. I think I'm going to run a 75 stat no reload character through vanilla BGEE though, just to see how long I'll last :)
    CrevsDaak
    Actually it's a pair of bracers. It might be a bit out of character for Roisin to kill the guy, but the dialogue option you choose to anger him is definitely like Roisin. Here's a hint. He calls himself the greatest swordsman on the sword coast. =p

And that sounds cool! Some classes don't even need more than 75, honestly.
    Ah rights! Those are the best in game, poor Meilum. The greatest swordsman of the Sword Coast, wandering around in what amounts to rags, accepting a duel with Roisin, and then getting perforated by her arrows... :(
    edited March 2014
    I would love to see a mod that actually makes him the best swordsman on the sword coast. Grandmastery in longswords, specialization in single weapon style, and some excellent magical studded leather. (Since I think of lightly armored when I think of swordsmen, as opposed to heavily armored warriors) A big boost in level couldn't hurt either.
    Rewolf
    Good idea! I think you can do that yourself if you look him up in the creature browser in EEKeeper, and edit him... I agree on the light armour, or maximum medium armour (chainmail). I like those characters better than the bulky heavily armoured tanks.
    ElrandirCrevsDaak
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    You could also put one point into two handed swords and just use the spiders bane for the same effect.

And you should also get a scroll or protection from magic from Daverons brother or the gnome in the area with the ring of fire resistance if my memory doesn't fail me. One of them should give you a potion, the other a scroll.
    Blackraven
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Blackraven‌ and @SionIV‌

Davaeorn's brother gives the potion of Magic Protection. The gnome in the area with the ring of fire resistance gives the Protection from Magic Scroll.

The wizard slayer without modding can't use a Ring of Free Action as any other ring, amulet or neckless in the game, so the Free Action effect for him (solo) may come only thanks to the Spiders Bane.

The wizard slayer without modding can't use all those useful potions against magical effects as well.

He even can't use a potion of STR from the Nashkel Carnival, so no Tome of STR for him (his starting STR is 18/00, I wonder if Grynne's 19 STR + DUHM will be enough, though, as 18/00 STR + DUHM is not enough to open the appropriate container).
    BlackravenSionIVlolien
    @bengoshi and @SionIV‌
    Thank you for th info on the respective items from the Surgeon and from the gnome. They'll come in very handy.

@bengoshi‌
    My modded (rebalanced) WS has access to to green scrolls, and to items that protect against magic or magic damage. This means indeed no Ring of Free Action unfortunately. I'd forgotten that. It's interesting to see how Grynne is not able to do quests and use things I'd normally take for granted. :)
    I think a STR of 24 is needed for forcing the locks for the tomes below Candlekeep, which would mean no way for her to get the STR tome with DUHM alone. This means that she will hire people to get certain items. My challenge is first and foremost about survival (no-reload); it doesnt have to be solo (which is another indicator that my challenge isn't as severe as yours).
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Blackraven‌ I think that you need at least 25.
    Nice on getting with this playthrough again!
    RR adds a Ioun Stonero BG2 that gives Knock 3x day and some other things that could be good for you. I think that WS can use that one.
    FoA gives Free Action when you make it a +5. Also Shield of Harmony for BG2 is nice for her. You should do the pacific quests in BG2 until you have enough XP to kill harder enemies.
    With WSR I think that you can use Wands of Ruby Reversal, not sure still.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    edited April 2014
    @Blackraven‌ yeah, I thought about that, but maybe if you just use a thief NPC it does give you the option too.
    You can buy a Battle Axe+1 from Feldelpost at his Inn, in Beregost, unless you made it a 'Exceptional Axe' with SCS's 'Make all the +1 unmagical' component or if that got changed by the item randomizer.
    Also, I recommend getting a Full Plate Mail, they have better modifiers to AC than the Ankheg plate but weight much more (25 to 70!!!), which I don't see that would cause problems with your 19 STR (although those 50 throwing axes don't get carried by themselves, but actually 5x50 would be 250 ibs just of axes...quite much).
    @CrevsDaak, good idea. I'll try with a thief...
    I think Taerom hasn't got the axe, but I'll check. And I'd like to get a suit of full plate, but I haven't found one yet. I might be able to kill Taugosz for it, at the Bandit Camp but it will be difficult.
    Will post an update soon. Thanks for your recommendations!
    @Blackraven Feldelpot Inn, the one where Tranzig is in, just talk to the Barkeeper, he has it.
    Blackraven
    So happy to see Grynne return!
    CrevsDaakBlackraven
    There's actually a lot more to tell, but annoyingly the pics won't upload... So I'll wait and try again later.

CrevsDaakElrandirGotural
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Blackraven, Rigid Thinking is a killer, especially in a solo run.

You really, really need mind protection, as from the Greenstone Amulet, if you're going up against clerics, if you want to be safe from needing to make saving throws. My own experience is that a successful Rigid Thinking from an enemy equals death, solo or not.

Clerics are very fond of casting Rigid Thinking in the vanilla game - it's probably worse in SCS.

@Blackraven, Rigid Thinking is a killer, especially in a solo run.

You really, really need mind protection, as from the Greenstone Amulet, if you're going up against clerics, if you want to be safe from needing to make saving throws. My own experience is that a successful Rigid Thinking from an enemy equals death, solo or not.

Clerics are very fond of casting Rigid Thinking in the vanilla game - it's probably worse in SCS.

@BelgarathMTH, thanks for your advice. I agree that a failed save would have probably ended this run. I simply was too late to respond. It would have probably been better to flee the map. I'm normally quite a completist, but this solo run simply doesn't work like that.
    My WS has no access to the Greenstone Amulet, only to items that protect against magic and magic damage: potions of magic blocking, magic shielding and magic protection and the green scrolls. These aren't very common items, so I'll have to pick my fights....
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201
    No use for a potion of Invulnerability? Those are godsends and almost as good as potions of magic blocking. With ring of protection +2, balduran´s helm (or gift of peace), Balduran´s Cloak, and a potion of invulnerability, you can get your saves down very low. Also the Claw of Kazgerath is great for this. I got Aurorus to 1 on save vs. spell with this set up. The Claw click only lasts 3 rounds, but you can activate it again if you need it. This adds an additional +2 to all saves, +4 to missile AC, and immunity to all 1st and 2nd level spells- really an essential item for your playthrough. I do not know if it is available, however, or where with your mod setup.
    Sorry... Horn of Kazgeroth... not the Claw... though the Claw is very good too at improving saves.
    @Aurorus, unfortunately my 'rebalanced' Wizard Slayer can use only items whose most important aspect is to increase magic resistance or to protect against magic damage. This means no potions of invulnerability, no Horn/Claw of Kazgaroth, no Ring of Gaxx (in SoA), etc. I had hoped to use the Claw (thought it was available in my setup).
    So only potions of Magic Shielding/Blocking/Protection, healing potions and antidotes. She can use the Cloak of Balduran though, as well as (BG") amulets of magic resistance. Not sure if there are any rings she might use.
    edited April 2014

Not sure if "rebalanced" is the right word for your mod... lol. How about "Equally-gimped-but-in-a-different-way" mod as a better title.

@Aurorus, unfortunately my 'rebalanced' Wizard Slayer can use only items whose most important aspect is to increase magic resistance or to protect against magic damage. This means no potions of invulnerability, no Horn/Claw of Kazgaroth, no Ring of Gaxx (in SoA), etc. I had hoped to use the Claw (thought it was available in my setup).
    So only potions of Magic Shielding/Blocking/Protection, healing potions and antidotes. She can use the Cloak of Balduran though, as well as (BG") amulets of magic resistance. Not sure if there are any rings she might use.

@Aurorus haha, no but honestly it's not that bad...

Rebalanced Wizard Slayer:

Advantages:

- Starts with 10% base magic resistance (Vanilla doesn't)
    - Gains an additional +2% bonus to magic resistance for every level of experience (vanilla WS only 1%)
    - Gains the Disrupt Magic passive ability at first level: Whenever a Wizard Slayer lands a successful hit on an arcane spellcaster the target is afflicted with a cumulative spell failure penalty. During the next 3 rounds, the victim has a 10% base chance to miscast any arcane spell plus 1% for every experience level the Wizard Slayer attains. (Vanilla WS gets a fixed 10% chance with no increase at levelling up)
    - Gains the Shatter Magic ability at first level and every 8 levels thereafter: During the round when this ability is activated, each successful hit removes one combat and one specific protection from his target. However, this temporarily nullifies the Wizard Slayer's innate magic resistance making him vulnerable to magic during the next 2 rounds. Until his magic resistance recovers, the Wizard Slayer cannot use any special abilities that rely on it. (It doesn't breach PfMW or Mantle though, but Vanilla WS doesn't have this or anything like it.)

Disadvantages:

- Cannot use any magic items except for weapons, armor and healing potions, and (unlike vanilla WS): items which provide protection from magic in some form, such as the Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance, Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance, the Cloak of Balduran, Potion of Magic Protection, Cloak of Mirroring, Belt of Inertial Barrier, Amulet of Spell Warding, Ring of Spell Turning, Potion of Magic Shielding and Potion of Magic Blocking.
    - Cannot dual-class (Vanilla can actually dual)

Special HLAs:

Reflect Magic (replaces Resist Magic)
    An experienced Wizard Slayer eventually learns to channel his innate magic resistance in a manner which allows him to reflect magic back to its source. For 3 rounds after this ability is activated, all spells targeted directly against the Wizard Slayer are redirected back to the original caster. However, this temporarily nullifies the Wizard Slayer's innate magic resistance making him vulnerable to any spells that are not directly targeted at him. This vulnerability takes effect when the ability is activated and persists for 3 rounds after it expires. Until his magic resistance recovers, the Wizard Slayer cannot use any special abilities that rely on it.

Arcane Bane (replaces War Cry)
    An experienced Wizard Slayer can apply a special technique to his attacks making them extremely effective against wielders of arcane magic. For 2 rounds after this ability is activated he gains a +5 bonus to damage against all arcane spellcasters. Furthermore, the Wizard Slayer's attacks become so forceful that his opponents must save vs. death with a -4 penalty or lose one of their memorized spells on each hit.
    CrevsDaak
    It´s still pretty bad. However, do the abilities work with ranged attacks, i.e. from a bow or darts? Seems to me that WS, both this version and vanilla version, actually are not completely horrible if they can add their anti-magic attack to bow or dart attacks. This would allow them to select an elemental damage type, or poison, or stun (as with darts), or even use arrows of dispelling (with shatter magic picking up any buffs that are not dispelled), and get extra attacks every round.
    CrevsDaak
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Blackraven, sorry, I forgot about your WS restrictions when I suggested the Greenstone Amulet. Those magic item restrictions seem to be quite a handicap, especially for a solo SCS run.

Gratz on beating SCS Daveaorn! That was a very exciting read. It looks like all those extra guards might be a (new?) part of the "better calls for help" component of SCS.

I've documented runs with screenshots and partially in-character journal entries before, and I know how much work that is, so good job!

If I'm not mistaken, a vanilla WS wouldn't have been able to beat Daveaorn the way you did, because of not having spell failure ability on ranged weapons (like your throwing axes), and not having the special protection stripping ability.

There was a thing that came up in some of the WS discussion threads about whether spell failure penalty would proc through a hit on a Stoneskin, and you just proved that it does with the mod. Do you know if it also procs through Stoneskin hits in the vanilla version? That makes a big difference in how effective the class can be.

(Some people in the threads were very confident that spell failure doesn't proc until all Stoneskins are removed, and some other people would insist that it does, but nobody ever seemed to want to take the time to test it.)
    JuliusBorisov