Skip to content

[Known 1454] The Twins and the Boogeyman

ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
1. Start a new game with the Abdel pregen
2. C: CreateItem("Godbow")
3. Open Inventory and equip the godbow
4. C: MoveToArea("AR0162")
5. Speak to Laerta
6. Speak to Gervisse
7. Speak to Voltine
8. Attack Gervisse with the godbow
9. Speak to Laerta

Observed
Laerta does not acknowledge that Gervisse is dead. The quest is not completed and the journal is not updated.

Expected
Laerta should acknowledge that Gervisse is dead. The quest should be completed and the journal should be updated.
In one of the houses in Baldur's Gate North West section a pair of twins are scared by a boogeyman that turns out to be either a druid named Voltine or a mage named Gervisse (they blame each other).

Current behaviour:
After you get rid of the boogeyman by killing Gervisse or Voltine or both, Laerta doesn't give you any reward.
In particular if you kill Gervisse (the actual villain), Voltine will give you a wand as reward, but still Laerta will not give any reward.

Expected behaviour:
After you dispose of Gervisse or Voltine or both, Laerta should give you as reward a scroll of Protection from Evil and 1000 xp

Note:
I never had any problem with this quest before in vanilla or tutu bg.
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited January 2013
    What do you see when doing GetGlobal("helplaerta","global") ?
    It is likely this is the Die() bug again.
    @CamDawg --> see gervisse.bcs i'm pretty sure it is causing the problem.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013

What do you see when doing GetGlobal("helplaerta","global") ?

HelpLaerta global does not exist (but Gervisse is dead)
    HelpVoltine global set to 1
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'll check it out!
    edited January 2013
    On a side note, setting (with the CLUA console in my case) the global variable HelpLaerta to 1 before speaking to Laerta has also fixed the "no done quest entry in the journal" bug for this particular quest
  • JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    Definitely a bug, I ran into the same problem with this in my game.

To get Laerta's reward, what I did was talk to Laerta FIRST right after killing Gervisse, get reward from her and then talk with Voltine and get her reward.

If I talked with with Voltine first after killing Gervisse, then Laerta would not give reward or acknowledge quest completion of eliminating the boogeyman...
    I confirm this bug is still present in v2012. Some additional information:

it looks like it depends on how fast Gervisse is killed. If he is killed fast enough (e.g. backstab, critical hit, etc.) the global variable HelpLaerta is not set to 1, if he lasts longer everything works fine. This seems to confirm what @Avenger_teambg said about the Die() bug in GERVISSE.BCS.

@JTM
    In my case there was no difference in talking first to Laerta or Voltine, but if you did reload it is possible that what you experienced was caused by differences in the time required to kill Gervisse.
    @erg the bug will be fixed in next release.
    Erg
    fixed in 2013
    Erg
  • WayniacWayniac Member Posts: 132
    This hasn't been fixed. I still cannot complete this quest if I beat him too quickly. I think it is because he explodes before he ever turns red. Still, I feel like the global variable should still be set properly.
    ErgVakarian
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    Agree with Wayniac. I am still having this problem in v1.2
    Erg
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited November 2013
    Can either of you upload a saved game and a set of re-production steps?
    @Illydth

I don't have a save or re-production steps for 1.2 as I stopped playing the Enhanced Edition several months ago, but it looks like the bug may be still caused by Gervisse dying too fast.

I see the devs have replaced Die() with StateCheck(Myself,STATE_REALLY_DEAD) in Gervisse script, but maybe if he dies too fast the script doesn't fire properly, so why not check for his death somewhere else too ?

For example the devs could add a Class Script to Laerta with something like

IF
    Global("HelpLaerta","global",0)
    StateCheck("Gervisse",STATE_REALLY_DEAD)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("HelpLaerta","GLOBAL",1)
    END

Would something like that work ?
    @aVENGER, @Troodon80: I'm going to summon the two of you to this thread as you're both a lot more familiar with this than I am.

If either of you would like me to file up a bug on this, I'd be happy to.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited November 2013
    @Wayniac
    @Vakarian

I'd really like to get a save game to confirm what the issue actually is.

@Illydth, already there: #1454, make a note of it on that (and let aVENGER know).
    @Troodon80: The issue is in closed status, I've added a note to it but I can't re-open it at this point. We can either leave it as is (even though it's closed) or open a new bug on this. Probably want to get a saved game first and verify what the issue is before we open a second issue on 1454.
  • WayniacWayniac Member Posts: 132
    @Troodon80
    I didn't even think about it. I don't have a saved game available. I pretty much abuse quick save and for everything else I just create a new save at the beginning of the chapter... which has now been overwritten after getting to Chapter 6.

I can tell you that I think it happened because he didn't turn red. I would splatter the walls with him before he had a chance to become hostile. If I waited (literally) about one second for him to become hostile, it seemed to fix the problem completely.
    Unfortunately, I did the same thing as Wayniac and don't have a saved game available. I had a similar experience where the problem did not occur if I waited for him to become hostile before finishing him off.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I have encountered this bug in v1.2 as well, but I didn't notice it until I was clearing out leftover quests in my journal, so I don't have a save before starting the quest, only a save after it's been done (and along with a bunch of other stuff done afterwards). Would it still be helpful to upload that save?
  • CeberonCeberon Member Posts: 6
    I ran into this bug as well. Since I always doing quick saves I could reload that state and do it again. To overcome the problem I also tried to kill Voltine instead. The funny part... Laerta rewarded me for this action. Is this intended to happen?
    @Troodon80
    I now have a save (both immediately before and after) from another playthrough. Let me know if you'd still like to have it.
    @Vakarian, a save (or two) would be great. :-)
    @Troodon80
    No problem. Two questions: is it the *.SAV file that you need, and how do I send it to you? (apparently I can't attach it to my post)
    @Vakarian, the folders where the SAV and GAM files are located. e.g. 000000077-Save Game, you can use WinRAR, WinZip, 7-Zip, or similar archiving software, then attach the archive containing those entire folders. :-)
    edited December 2013
    @Troodon80
    Ok, here they are. One is immediately before taking out Gervisse, and the other is shortly after. Voltine recognizes that Gervisse is dead regardless of how quickly it's done, but the twins only give the quest reward if he turns hostile before going down.
    Erg
    edited December 2013
    From @Valkarian save,

SPRITE_IS_DEADGERVISSE = 1,

but

HELPLAERTA is not set to 1.

So StateCheck(Myself,STATE_REALLY_DEAD) in GERVISSE.BCS doesn't work reliably. It would be better to check for Gervisse dead in a different way.

Voltine recognises that Gervisse is dead because she doesn't check HELPLAERTA, but she uses Dead("Gervisse") as condition instead.
    @Vakarian, thanks for that. :-)

I think I can see what's wrong. Attached is a script that should fix the issue, retroactively as well. You just need to extract the file to your override directory (if a file by the same name exists already, remember to make a backup). This issue is still logged as #1454, and will be fixed properly in due course. Thank you for the save games.
    Erg
    @Troodon80
    Glad to help. Thanks for the fix.
  • toxintoxin Member Posts: 57
    Troodon80 said:

@Vakarian, thanks for that. :-)
    I think I can see what's wrong. Attached is a script that should fix the issue, retroactively as well. You just need to extract the file to your override directory (if a file by the same name exists already, remember to make a backup). This issue is still logged as #1454, and will be fixed properly in due course. Thank you for the save games.

Hi Troodon80,

I extracted the file to my override directory (SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override) and it doesn't work retroactively for me. That is, I already killed Gervisse and talked with Voltine, but talking with Laerta still results in the same "do you believe in the bogeyman" line.

I've attached my save file.

Thanks!
    @‌toxin

The fix, as @Troodon80 said, should work retroactively too.

I don't have the Steam version, so I cannot check if that path is the right one. You should check if there is a file called chitin.key in the same path as the override folder. If not, move the override folder where the chitin.key is.

If this doesn't solve your problem, you can try the following workaround:

1) enable the console
    2) enter the following command:
    C:SetGlobal("HELPLAERTA","GLOBAL",1)
    Troodon80