Skip to content

NPC Preview: Dark Side of the Sword Coast

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I have the original version 1.00. I'll be adding in some content that was taken out in later versions. Mostly item stuff. For now.
    An enhanced DS encounter. I just lost my three front line fighters to rigid thinking. Now I'm trouble.
    I hate Red Wizards, especially if they have been enhanced. I died shortly.
    I'm afraid I'm all booked up. Then again I should have taken that barbarian with me. He couldn't have done any worse than the rest of my worthless party members who died on me against those Red Wizards.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    So, what's the status of this project?
    After I'm done testing this beta run, I'll release it as an open beta. I want to make sure all of the quests work properly.

Just started the actual Dark Side quests with Jet joining. And everything kicked in as it should. The new areas are where they are supposed to be at on the world map.
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    Ah this mod. I remember playing it with joy. Can't wait now that we also have NPC mod out :-).
    The banshee quest needs work. The encounter was ho hum. Having it running around hiding and not doing a lot of attacking was boring. Plus its not that intimidating. Wail of the banshee spell is in the game after all. ;)
    The banshee is much more interesting now. ;)
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    i've asked before but didn't see an answer but is northern tales going to be included?
    so looking forward to playing this again as i have many fond memories
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    This is just for the "standard" DSotSC right? Without the addition of the new evil NPC's?
    No Northern tales. That is mod is maintained by someone else.

i've asked before but didn't see an answer but is northern tales going to be included?
    so looking forward to playing this again as i have many fond memories

Yep just the standard. Seems like the helpers have disappeared who were working on the new content.
    JosefineS said:

This is just for the "standard" DSotSC right? Without the addition of the new evil NPC's?

Restore spell doesn't restore your original level after being level drained by shadows and other things DS brings. Original BG 1 and therefore DS uses the Change Level effect which is negative. Looking at BG2 vampires they use the Level Drain effect. Which original BG1 didn't have. I'll have to change the DS level draining creature weapons to use Level Drain and see if Restore will work.
  • OxvaOxva Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 80
    edited April 2014
    @Com_Solaufein Are you also going to re-work the balance aspects of the mod?
    Post edited by Oxva on
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41

No Northern tales. That is mod is maintained by someone else.

thanks.

i thought northern tales was merged in with dsotsc. i remember reading that somewhere, hmm...

For the BGT version it is.
    Right now I'm feeling pretty d*** emo. Something of great importance isn't working right. I really hate that world map.
    MOVING ON.

Tested the the level drain, ability drain creature weapons that I took from BG2 and used them for EE. They work fine. Being level drained by vampires won't be a problem in Dark Side now that I have the proper weapons for vampires and Greater Restoration spell works to restore you back to your level. I'll have to give some of those spells to a temple or two. Shadows and spectres in Dark Side now have the proper ability of draining your stats, not your level. Ability drain is on a timer so your ability will go back up after the timer expires.

Skipping the Dark One quest since I can't properly do it at this time. Moving ahead.
    Dragon Quest begins. And what better person to have in a party to fight a "dragon"? A cavalier paladin.
    Guess I'll have to tone the "forest dragon" down a bit. I had it use Firkraag's script since the DS one is broken some what.
    O NOES! A real dragon is in town.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I think the lesson we can take from these screenshots is: Use Protection from Fire.
    Yeah I'll be working on the dragon's script so its not so powerful. My test party I cheated their hit points to be around 150. Imagine how fast a legit party would be wiped out.
    If I am going to use an actual dragon animation, he'll have to be in a small area not an outdoor area like it currently is at. This causes the game severe lag, like it was doing when I originally tested using a real dragon in Dark Horizons.
    Dragon found a new home. Some slow down, but can't have everything I guess.

And my party is screwed. Just me and Imoen left. We lasted a whole two seconds.
    Okay I'm satisfied with the results now. I was able to beat the dragon twice. Without a mage even. Better have healers in your party to keep your front line fighters healed otherwise you're going to die, quickly.

Time to move these files to the finished folder.
    Need to do something about those spawn points. A whole orc army attacked me.
    As promised, a new priest who will sell some neat cures, especially that greater restoration cure/spell for those nasty vampire fights.
    I am almost done playing the mod. I'll be taking the last quest in a moment.