Skip to content

Advice for Socially Conservative BG2:EE Playthrough?

Greetings. I did not pre-order BG1:EE but ultimately played and was impressed overall, which led to my pre-order of BG2:EE (and future patronage for wherever this company's ship may sail). I have not yet had the time to play, and am beginning to place thought into such an undertaking. However, I was a bit alarmed at some of the more morally progressive elements introduced into a 15 year old game, and I have gotten wind of some potentially disturbing ethical developments introduced into BG2:EE through my infrequent perusal of these forums.

Might my more traditional fellows of the forum community offer some playthrough advice to a simple gent with a fixed early 1980's code of ethics, who thinks in lockstep with what was and was not appropriate in 1st and 2nd edition AD&D and this time period in general? I do not want to be trampled by a rabid stampede of 2014 virtues if a new NPC joins my party, or if I accidentally wander into the wrong new content area. Will I be confronted and left aghast by a conundrum of deviant behavior, sunk into an unsolicited quicksand of uninhibited customs, and made an offer I cannot refuse to a festival of dionysian mores?

I am looking for helpful words of kindred wisdom to those who have successfully traversed the pitfalls I speak of, and offer my apology in advance for any offense imagined due to my lack of a membership card in the cult of fervent progress.

Sieur de La Cornbread
sersafir

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2014
    Interesting question. What kind of AD&D content or behavior in general was considered improper in the early 1980s but not anymore in 2014? I'm not sure whether I understood your post correctly, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Why not play a conservative paladin or cleric-type? Or in a way play yourself if you're conservative on issues such as homosexuality, hedonism, promiscuity etc. From your post ('dionysian mores' and 'uninhibited customs') I gather that these are the areas where your morals are offended.

Personally I think the real world both pre and post 1980s, and fantasy settings such as AD&D, present much more morally repugnant phenomena such as slavery and other forms of exploitation of defenseless people, racism, persecution of "deviants", etc but that's just my opinion.

In the game your character could surround himself/herself with more or less likeminded companions (types like Keldorn, Anomen and deal with any behavior you consider immoral in the way you see fit.
    For your RL the only well-meant piece of advice I could give you is to accept that people are different and consequently have different morals.

Edit: Ignore my post if I misunderstood you. Apologies in that case for any incovenience caused.
    Post edited by Blackraven on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited May 2014
    Edit: If you're looking for actual roleplaying advice, please disregard this post.

Alright, maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but you seem to be implying that you don't like the idea of your character being hit on by someone of the same sex? If so, I believe that any romance can be avoided simply by choosing the correct dialog option when the NPC tries to initiate. Alternatively, just avoid Dorn and Hexxat.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    Iamdorf
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Huh, you could just only play with LG and NG NPC's. Anomen, keldorn, arie. I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you liked bg1, bg2 is not that different morality wise.
    CrevsDaakatcDave
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Grats on helping a bigot, guys.
    Almateria
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    When I read 'socially conservative' I thought (besides thinking of being logged out because of that new banner :P) that this was a joke thread about 1st may, which is the Marist's worker's day.

What I realized was that I am confused about everything. And that I still don't get what is this thread about besides confusing me so badly about everything.

If you mean to play a 'Classic' style of heroes party, I recommend following @meagloth advice
    meagloth said:

Huh, you could just only play with LG and NG NPC's. Anomen, keldorn, arie. I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you liked bg1, bg2 is not that different morality wise.

Blackraven
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Just play a good aligned character and recruit a good aligned party. You really won't have any problems. I'm pretty "traditional" too!
    elminsterbooinyoureyes
    @TJ_Hooker, I think your logic is flawed here. Who says that the homosexual does not or may not hurt (offend) the homophobe and his beliefs? Can you decide that? And does a homophobe necessarily hurt a homosexual, simply by being a homophobe? I'd say it takes more than that (e.g. discrimination, violence etc).

Don't get me wrong here. I'm very very liberal. Like I said, live and let live. But it's precisely for that reason that I don't think you or FrozenCells or any 'advocate of tolerance' is entitled to decide what other people like OP should believe or not believe. I think that would be dangerously judgmental.

And yes, in a way I'm for tolerating intolerance as long as it's merely opinions we're talking about, as in the original discussion. You're taking it quite a bit further with your example of imprisonment. I disapprove of that analogy, and I'm not going into that.
    MacHurto
    edited May 2014

@TJ_Hooker, I think your logic is flawed here. Who says that the homosexual does not or may not hurt (offend) the homophobe and his beliefs? Can you decide that? And does a homophobe necessarily hurt a homosexual, simply by being a homophobe? I'd say it takes more than that (e.g. discrimination, violence etc).

There exist laws that restrict the liberties of homosexuals in many countries, whether it's simply denying them the ability to marry, anti-sodomy laws, or even making homosexuality outright illegal. These laws only exist because they are supported by people who disaprove of homosexuality. This is more what I had in mind when I said "hurt", not just that someone would read a homophobe's comments and get upset.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm very very liberal. Like I said, live and let live. But it's precisely for that reason that I don't think you or FrozenCells or any 'advocate of tolerance' is entitled to decide what other people like OP should believe or not believe. I think that would be dangerously judgmental.

Well, while I don't necessarily agree with you, don't take that as implying that I agree with FrozenCells. Also, my post wasn't really focused on this thread and was more a response to the general statement you seemed to be making. As you can see by my first post in this thread, I tried not to judge the OP, despite disagreeing with him.

And yes, in a way I'm for tolerating intolerance as long as it's merely opinions we're talking about, as in the original discussion. You're taking it quite a bit further with your example of imprisonment. I disapprove of that analogy, and I'm not going into that.

Fair enough. I was worried my analogy was a bit hyperbolic.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    BlackravenLoubCrevsDaak
    edited May 2014
    @winters, no smokescreen here. I'm probably as much against homophobia or any form of intolerance as you seem to be, given your reaction.

All I was saying was, that if I were a homophobe and you wouldn't notice it (because I kept it to myself), would I hurt you? I don't think so.
    And as I said in my previous post, when intolerant beliefs are translated into actions of intolerance it's a whole different matter to me. I never defended that.

I just don't like people deciding what others have to believe, as mistaken as they may be or seem to be from one's own point of view. My apologies if I offended you.
    Post edited by Blackraven on
    TJ_Hookerbooinyoureyes
    winters said:

Apart from that and before we all burst into argument, something doesn't smell right. If that's a legit question, why the smokescreen which makes it almost incomprehensible? Somehow I can't make myself treat seriously someone trying to sound like Kiser Jhaeri and this definitely is a serious matter.

Are you still referring to @Blackraven‌ here, or to the OP?
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    edited May 2014

@winters, no smokescreen here. I'm probably as much against homophoby or any form of intolerance as you seem to be, given your reaction.

Nah, not yours, I was talking about the original post all the time.

And we burst into argument anyway. This is so wrong. That's why I'm getting back to rolling my umpteenth Swashbuckler this evening, bye!

Edit: @TJ_Hooker, see above.

TJ_HookerBlackraven
    @Winters, ok sorry, I thought your entire post was directed at me. Good luck on the Swashy, I almost feared that I had brought mercenaries into trouble ;)
    @TJ_Hooker, I'm glad we managed this in a mature way. I think we understand each other, and I'm glad about that.
    wintersTJ_Hooker
    edited May 2014
    @TJ_Hooker Me too! Would be awesome. :D
    However, I noticed the OP coming online in this thread various times after he first posted, but so far he hasn't bothered to clear things up or reply in any other way. Maybe he's just a troll after all? The surname is kind of corny...
    TJ_Hooker
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252

@TJ_Hooker Me too! Would be awesome. :D
    However, I noticed the OP coming online in this thread various times after he first posted, but so far he hasn't bothered to clear things up or reply in any other way. Maybe he's just a troll after all? The surname is kind of corny...

If so, then let the game speak for us.

Protagonist: Why do you use so many big words? Are you trying to make me feel stupid?
    Kiser Jhaeri: My utilization of complex locution is more a reflection of my own superincumbent mental acuity than an aspersion on your circumscribed lexicon.
    Protagonist: Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy.

If not, then I apologize, but this was waaaay too tempting.

TJ_HookerBlackravenCrevsDaak
  • SieurdeLaCornbreadSieurdeLaCornbread Member Posts: 21
    By tolerating all souls except those who do not tolerate something/someone, two hypocritical mirrors are created which reflect each other into infinity, until they combust, leaving a primordial amoral jelly which lacks opinionated sentience. This truly Western mindset must, out of necessity, shield itself from the existence of more ancient lands, for fear of the self-awareness of looking down upon the entire earth with scorn from the yellow pine throne of unbigotry. Are we willing to claim a race, culture, and religion/ethos of our own? Perhaps this is only acceptable in fictional games. However, in the hopes of easing the nerves and trigger fingers of the forum administrators, I will steer the wagon back to the main road.

I apologize for my lack of response, for although I did examine the gist, I preferred to keep my hands to myself and let the conversation develop in hopes of finding answers to my initial ponderance. Several courteous men have offered thoughtful advice on playing good or neutral aligned parties to avoid any of the over-the-top wickedness that would be unacceptable in the early 1980's. Specifically, I am told to shun Hexxat and Dorn in favor of Keldorn, Anomen, and Aerie. I thank you for your time and your helpful words. I must say that it is disappointing to navigate such a social gale in a sea of unsavory sinisterness, and would prefer to witness the inclusion of more sanitary and traditionally good/neutral/evil NPC's by Beamdog, but you sages have given me the charts I required. Luckily, I already possess the compass.

Several others disagree with the perceived implications of my post. Some even find distasteful my line of query, which seems to have strayed beyond the acceptable lines of 2014 orthodoxy, while a noble few defend my right to ask. I come from a land of cavaliers and cotton fields, so I apologize for the affinity I hold for tradition and its preservation, which I extend to my AD&D. I am much obliged to all for using their faculties of reason to consider my archaic but needful curiosity.

Sieur de La Cornbread
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    The best part of this thread is that the OP stated he bought both BG games and will continue to do so with future games.

I simply don't have time to praise/condemn people for their beliefs or views on the internet. I don't even like doing it in person, much less through text.

So....

....thanks for the support towards Overhaul...(?)
    meagloth said:

I'm not old enough to know, but I think a lot of crazy sh*t came out of the '80s, just like any other point in time?

I give you... the 80s:
    meaglothelminsterCrevsDaakDJKajuru
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Everyone knows name calling and flaming are strictly against forum rules, so I agree with @Tresset‌. As long as the thread remains polite and mature I see no need to close it.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to read the site rules.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I don't intend to 'strike a nerve' with you @SieurdeLaCornbread but if you're socially conservative and don't want the temptations of those fallen astray, then why do you play a game that practices polytheism? I'm not questioning 'you' as in everything you're saying is false, I'm more curious. Most people I know that are socially conservative disregard or look down upon my hobbies of fantasy, magic, polytheism, and role-playing as a 'sin', for lack of a better word.

*potential spoilers*

Again not being privy or questioning your beliefs or hobbies, but how can you play a game when your own character is the son or daughter of a god of murder? He or she will make very unquestionable decisions between two evils (the guild war for example), and will take the role of a fantasy creature to impersonate among them in their evil and vile ways. Your character will also fight multiple demons and devils and will even visit Hell because he or she's very soul is taken.

Do you as a person look the other way on this and ignore it? I don't care personally if you do, it's your life and values that matter to you and only you and that's what's important. I'm more curious on someone you who is socially conservative plays a role-playing fantasy game that is mostly frowned upon by others of the same social stature.

Even if you don't reply, thank you at least for reading.
This discussion has been closed.