Skip to content

Reason to choose crossbow proficiency in BG1

2»

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    In BG1 they are better if you are going to use the Army Scythe, and they are not worth for anyone else than a Bard (which goes well with RP also).
    In BG2 they are better for Warrior classes, you don't have to worry about APR, use AGWW and done, Crossbows deal higher damage and have better effects on hit, easier to get higher THAC0 and with AGWW you have 10 APR anyway. In BG2 they are not worth for non-fighter classes same way they are not worth for any other than bards in BG1.
    In a RP sense they are besides my favorite weapons, but bows look better in this game :|
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    The only time I ever give anyone crossbow proficiency is when I come across random loot with a bolt of polymorphing. Totally worth it to turn some unsuspecting schmuck into a squirrel for the rest of their life.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Role playing is always good reason for choosing crossbow proficiency. Powerbuilding is boring to me, after all.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    In BG1, bows have access to arrows so completely OP (arrows of detonation) than crossbows cannot really compete, even if you take into account the extremely expensive army scythe. it does not mean that they are bad, far from it but bows are just better
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Oh, come on. Obviously armies used bows and crossbows because the range and because the amount of ammo, both compared to throwing weapons. Besides, chopping a tree is not like killing a person. A tjrowing axe is equaly deadly than a two handed axe.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    For the same price you get the Short Bow +1 and the Composite Long Bow +1 and still have enough left gold over for good ammo for two bow users. It's usually last on my shopping list unless it's for my PC.