Skip to content

Fallout 1&2

badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
Would it be a reasonable assumption that someone who enjoys the BG serious would enjoy the first 2 Fallout games?

Aside from the different genre it would seem that the games "feel" similar in my eyes but would love some trusty opinions from one of the nicer and certainly wiser in the way of CRPG's community.

I wouldn't want to miss out on a classic series so please let me know.
TeflonJuliusBorisovjackjackCrevsDaak

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Fallout does not have various item slots like rings amulet boots however its unique atmosphere, which can make me feel like inside the games world, like baldur's gate.
    I cannot assure you feel it same way it is up to you :)
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Archaos said:

Fallout actually allows to make non combat characters. Using stealth, skills or speech to get around or find solutions

This single handedly has convinced me.
    I think it might be worth a crack than and see how it goes.

JuliusBorisovjackjack
    Thanks for the great rundown @archaos however it seems that it will be difficult to get a copy as gog and steam seem to have been forced to remove it.
    I won't give up that easily however, the search WILL continue.
    jackjack
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I'm not going to say it on purpose to rub it, but I actually got it for free on GoG.
    Some time ago GoG had it available and decided to give it away for free.

You can also get it for 15$ from Amazon. That includes Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Trilogy-3-Pack-Compilation-Pc/dp/B001V9PTVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400249852&sr=8-1&keywords=fallout
    badbromance
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited May 2014

Thanks for the great rundown @archaos however it seems that it will be difficult to get a copy as gog and steam seem to have been forced to remove it.
    I won't give up that easily however, the search WILL continue.

Removed it? I still see it in steam's catalogue, but could be because I own it

Anyway, it is a game of interesting options. Here's a hint: don't drain your intelligence on your first playthrough. It will Literally make your character mental and speak caveman speak sort of. However it could make an interesting second playthrough :)

I love that feature a lot. In BG you could be 3 wis and int and still get around no problem toward your goal using sense
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163

Would it be a reasonable assumption that someone who enjoys the BG serious would enjoy the first 2 Fallout games?

Aside from the different genre it would seem that the games "feel" similar in my eyes but would love some trusty opinions from one of the nicer and certainly wiser in the way of CRPG's community.

I wouldn't want to miss out on a classic series so please let me know.

^If you want a world closer to BG but in the Fallout Universe, then Fallout Tactics is more up your ally. Personally, I like it better than even Fallout 2, which is great but nothing like BG.
    elminster
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    The fallout series are classic games, masterpieces, benchmarking to the genre (turn base rpg). The entire series (with tactics), was once able to be purchased from GoG, but the sharks blackmailed it into removing and deleting those games from their service. Still, some people, keep gifting the GoG version of these exquisite titles, to anyone who might want some. Like "serial killers" who "kick ass" and own a "KAT" (meow).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

The fallout series are classic games, masterpieces, benchmarking to the genre (turn base rpg). The entire series (with tactics), was once able to be purchased from GoG, but the sharks blackmailed it into removing and deleting those games from their service. Still, some people, keep gifting the GoG version of these exquisite titles, to anyone who might want some. Like "serial killers" who "kick ass" and own a "KAT" (meow).

The games are still available if you already own them on gog, so its not as if they were removed and deleted from the service. Just from the store. Also there was no blackmailing. Interplay got sued for not meeting the terms of their contract for a Fallout MMO and as part of them losing the lawsuit they lost the license to sell Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics (Bethesda held the Fallout IP rights but up until December 2013 Interplay had the authority to sell those games). Its also most likely the reason for the giant free offer (which was a well played move by gog.com/interplay). Either way after December 2013 GoG.com/Steam couldn't have kept selling the game when they had no legal authority to do so.
    jackjackbadbromanceCrevsDaakDemonoid_Limewire
    Thanks for the rundown @elminster‌.
    elminsterCrevsDaakjackjack
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I've played both of this games pretty late, like two years ago. And there is much I love about these games, but the most important thing to love is the mood. And, in case of Fallout 1, the pressure you have on you. Sure, graphic is outdated, controls may be confusing at first etc, but still early Fallouts were great. Also, the fact that you can beat Fallout 1 (not sure about 2) in basically three ways possible (straightforward, diplomacy, stealth) is really cool. Whoever made an idea for F1 final villain is genius.

I wouldn't play any moder Fallout games, thought. They seem to be much like Skyrim. And Skyrim bored me to death.

@elminster
    You haven't played due to controls and UI? Shame on you, Elminster, shame on you.
    ArchaosTeflonDemonoid_Limewire

@elminster
    You haven't played due to controls and UI? Shame on you, Elminster, shame on you.

Not exactly what I wrote...
    jackjackDemonoid_Limewire
    Sorry to necro (my own post no less) but it looks like Fallout 1 and 2 are being sold again on Steam!

Perfect timing due to waiting for some games to be released over the next few months!
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Well, damn that steam already. Enough with it! Anyone wants the Fallout 1, 2 and tactics? Anyone wants the guilty gear series, that GoG was blackmailed into stop selling them? Anyone is sick tired of Steam already, and it getting all exclusive rights for selling games, while better services and DRM-Free, are getting constantly pummelled, punished and attacked??? (unhealhty competition)

Faq that steam. Visit KAT (meow, a cat!). There, Cereal killers (sorry, serial killers) and shinigamis who sleep (ZZZ), give out for free, the GoG/DRM-FREE versions of games, which GoG was blackmailed into abandoning, and crappy steam has the only exclusive rights of selling. To hell with it, already.
    FinneousPJ
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    As mentioned before, there was no blackmail, it was a simple case of rights expiring and then transferring from Interplay (who had a contract with Gog) to Bethesda (who don't).
    Bethesda then decided to use Steam to sell the games again (like they use steam for ALL their other games in the last few years).

There is no conspiracy, no blackmail and Steam did not grab power while smoking a cigar made out of hundred dollar bills while cackling maniacly. The new legal owner of the games decided to change shops, that's it.
    Demonoid_LimewireelminsterQuartz
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Piracy apology is strictly against forum rules.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to read the site rules.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I wouldn't recommend FO 1&2. They're clunkier, glitchier, more brutally unfair, and less fun to play than Baldur's Gate on its worst day.

The 'tutorial' dungeon in FO2 alone is enough of a pain in the ass to provide a reason to avoid the entire game, much less the stationary plant monsters in the very first side quest that have more than three times your HP and better AC than you.
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

The 'tutorial' dungeon in FO2 alone is enough of a pain in the ass to provide a reason to avoid the entire game

I'll be honest, I tried that game and this is the EXACT reason I stopped playing it. I'm kinda surprised, I thought it was just me. I lasted 5-10 minutes tops.

The 'tutorial' dungeon in FO2 alone is enough of a pain in the ass to provide a reason to avoid the entire game

I'll be honest, I tried that game and this is the EXACT reason I stopped playing it. I'm kinda surprised, I thought it was just me. I lasted 5-10 minutes tops.
    It's beatable, but stupid. FO1 actually handled it better, by giving you two semi-decent weapons and then dropping you outside the Vault, than FO2 trying and failing to hold your hand, giving you nothing but your bare hands to fight your first ant, and a spear to fight the rest.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You can edit the fallout.ini so that you start off in Arroyo Village proper; this will also make the game think that you defeated the Temple of Trials via the speech path and reward you 600xp. I hang around just long enough to grab a few items, get a level under my belt, then head out.

My son wanted to play Fallout 2 and I told him he could be warned him that the game is *deadly* to your character. To his credit, he managed to make it to Klamath before giving up.
    jackjack
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I got FO1, FO2, and FOT on gog when they were free, and I really didn't like it. At least I know where Arcanum got its engine from.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    mlnevese said:

A quick look through that I'm not seeing where it's strictly against the rules. It says posting links is not allowed; nothing more. I think it's ridiculous discussing is not allowed...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667

mlnevese said:

A quick look through that I'm not seeing where it's strictly against the rules. It says posting links is not allowed; nothing more. I think it's ridiculous discussing is not allowed...
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/312654/#Comment_312654

The whole thread is rules, not just the top post.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Maybe it could stand to be clarified that actively encouraging people to pirate games is also not allowed.

Again, common sense. @Demonoid_Limewire‌ was well aware of the rules.
    jackjackFinneousPJ
    Anywho...

Apparently Bethusda may not be involved in Fallout 4. Its just a rumor floating around though. Still, it could end up being good for the franchise. Depending of course on the direction they end up taking with it.
    jackjack
    I dunno. I'll say this for Bethesda, even though I prefer Obsidian's New Vegas, that FO3 has some great dungeons. Like, if you want the feel of actually scavenging around in haunted, empty places that really aren't so empty, FO3 does beat NV in that regard. New Vegas' animals caves are too straightforward monster hunts, and only the Vaults and the DLC provide particularly compelling dungeons.

If Bethesda isn't involved, that means their expertise for dark delves is also not involved, and for me that is a detriment, no matter how good the rest of the game might be.
    elminsterjackjackMathsorcerer
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'm just saying if you're going to quote the rules on "strictly being against" something, there should be an explicit point in the rules about it. Which there isn't. I can see the point though that encouraging piracy shouldn't be allowed.

As for the original topic I love FO2 and would recommend it to anyone. It's very much a peer to BG2 IMO.
    jackjack
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    They've aged really badly and they're super clunky, I had a lot of trouble just trying to click to enter buildings at times. That being said I had loads of fun with them, they are really clever games in more ways than one. FO2 has way more to do, but I enjoyed it less because aforementioned problems being greater, and as a previous poster mentioned, the opening section is poorly designed.