Skip to content

[DUPE 7245] No party banter

ekrayekray Member Posts: 5
edited June 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Since almost the beginning of the game there's been almost no banter between the members of my party. Neera's romance triggered and I think is working but the characters aren't talking to eachother. The only exception lately has been Minsc repeating the dialog with Neera about pink Boo. I've seen the post about that one but this issue was happening before the new one happened. I tried using Ctrl+I to trigger dialogs but nothing happens, the characters say some phrase (no dialog starts) and look like they're about to speak to eachother but they dont. I used the no Irenicus dungeon mod (uninstalled it anyway to see if it was the issue) but I don't think that's the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    This is one of those fun bugs that ruin a playthrough. With Neera and Minsc in the party the Neera bug doesn't allow any banters. Removing Minsc might get it out of the loop (I've had it work and not work on different playthroughs) but removing Neera does allow everyone else to start bantering again.

This one can't be fixed until Beamdog is arsed enough to release a patch.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    It does seem like the banters are few and far between... I am not sure how one would write a report about it considering that we need a repro case. The only repro case I can think of for this is:

1. Start a new game.
    2. Play the game normally.
    3. Notice how rare the banters are.

And that won't work because the developers don't have that kind of time.

@Dee while it may be near impossible to repro on a developer time scale I think this one may be a legitimate issue. Could you look into cranking up the banter frequency somehow?
  • ekrayekray Member Posts: 5
    So @zenblack what you're saying is that I should replace Neera if I want banters to be back? The problem is she's the mage I picked for my comp (I'm good so no Edwin and I hate Nalia) and I'm also trying to go through her romance since it's the new one.
    I am not sure that removing Neera will help anything in this matter.
    edited May 2014
    It is easy to reproduce and it does it every time. You just need Neera and Minsc in the same party for long enough to fire banters. You can use Banterpack or speed up banters or just use CLUA console to fire them off. And removing Neera does work, I just tested it again, so Tresset can keep giving bad advice. Sorry you don't get to use the mage you want and get banters Ekray, that's just the state that BG2 is in. Your better off if you don't want a buggy experience by not taking any of the new NPCs. They all have similar bugs to this in their questlines, some you can get around with enough CLUA'ing but I found after that particular NPC goes buggy it just gets worse.

If you have a save before the banter fired the first time you can dump Minsc and continue along Neera's romance until you hit another bug.
    Sadly I don't have one so I guess I'm stuck. I kept playing anyway and I'm already in the Underdark so I'll just finish this playthrough, at least SoA.

Since you said that other new NPCs are bugged aswell I've got a question. I might try an evil playthrough with Dorn and Hexxat in my team, are they bugged aswell?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @zenblack‌ instead of bashing @Tresset‌ (who isn't even sure), I recommend taking a look at the DLG and checking the variables that is stated incorrectly by that dialog.
    @ekray‌ is that save after or before this issue?
    edited May 2014
    The errors are in Action 26 & 27 form BMINSC.DLG. The first one should set the variable to 2 and the second one to 3 (to kill the loop). I'm uploading the fixed file in this post.
    edit: fixed a typoooooooo!
    edited May 2014
    ekray said:

Since you said that other new NPCs are bugged aswell I've got a question. I might try an evil playthrough with Dorn and Hexxat in my team, are they bugged aswell?

Hexxat bugs out constantly when you go on her subquests. Dorn seems to work fine with the exception of the issues presented in the workaround thread which you will probably have to utilize at some point. Also his ToB quests can go tits up, so make sure you save your game regularly if you need to go back before it starts.

As for @CrevsDaak . Tresset can spout that bullshit that devs can't know their game is bugged or expect it to be tested by it's beta testers somewhere else. This is especially annoying after the OP just wants some help with the his bug if he wants to defend Beamdog's competence he should try it somewhere else.
    I feel like I'm tagging @Tresset again.

And that there are already more thread about this topic with fixes if you really want to help, if you can't go and check a DLG and then blame Beamdog.
    I don't critique anyone who is doing something I am not capable of doing myself, hence why I can't blame Beamdog for enhacing the game engine-wise but their content being buggy as hell, but I can help! So that's what I do. Kinda all the fixes are in particular threads, I'm going to buy eyes for everyone this christmas, Eyes of Awarness +3.
    @zenblack‌ I ignored your first uncalled for insult towards me because I am a nice guy. The second uncalled for insult has put you on my nerves. I suggest you go read the site rules; especially the one about being polite and civil to everyone. This includes beta testers, forum moderators, and developers. Do not antagonize anyone in the future.
    edited May 2014
    And you are on my nerves for claiming that it's impossible to reproduce for Beamdog because it took all of 5 minutes to reproduce for myself. I don't know how long it took Crevs to fix it, but it took 25 minutes between his first and second post so my guess is up to 25 minutes. It also took me less than 5 minutes to see if removing Neera fixed it, which you claimed it wouldn't with no proof just to, I don't know, give the guy no hope. Tell me again how someone who is looking for help needs you to defend the developers instead of help them by typing your first post?
    @zenblack‌ I am not defending anyone. I was just saying I wasn't sure how to report this given the established format we have to use. I even told Dee to look into it if he could. I noticed banter frequency issues in my game too (those are probably different from the issue with the Neera/Minsc banter) and assumed that was what was being talked about. For the issue I was thinking about (that being a very low banter frequency in general) removing Neera from the group would not have helped. You must understand that I do a LOT of work around here (all volunteer work too, mind you) and have a lot of things bouncing around in my head. A little confusion now and then is forgivable I should think. If you could repro the issue so easily, then all you would have had to do is politely tell me that and I would have looked into it.

By the way, I regularly go out of my way to help people around here. I always do what I can to help anyone with issues and it really bothers me when there is nothing I can do to help them.
    edited May 2014
    zenblack said:

I don't know how long it took Crevs to fix it, but it took 25 minutes between his first and second post so my guess is up to 25 minutes.

Actually it took me around a minute to fix it. I spent around 20 minutes playing NetHack on my phone, really, that thing is *too* addicting.
    Also, a some things about Tresset, beta testing in general (I might not be NDA bound nor have early access but I am (illegitimately, because I'm underage) a beta tester) and about fixing errors in the IE (infinity engine):
    First, Tresset makes *lots* of asumtions to see if he hits the nail, pretty much what I and others beta testers do when they 1) don't have access to a computer 2) are actually playing the game 3) busy with other stuff 4) are not sure.

Second, I spent more time spotting the actual error than fixing it. Yes, how would I know that it was on Minsc's and not Neera's dialog? I checked all the way through Neera's, and then through Minsc's, when finally I found that two variables were getting set at the same value they were checked before. I simply edited the variables, changed a one for a two and another one for a three, that was all I did.

Third, if you put Tresset on his nerves, you must be me and my bad understanding of all the words that exist in english to describe actions with your fingers (btw; sorry), or you are doing something else that is also breaking the site rules (btw; sorry again).

And Fourth, Overhaul, a division of Beamdog, is composed by 11 people (or 10? Not even small numbers fit in my memory), whom more than the half are surely working over BG:EE's 1.3 (so awaited) patch, and then you can assume between 1) Adventure Y 2) the 1.3 patch for BG2:EE 3) Android version of BG2:EE 4) Getting me a giant cookie 5) Some secret weird thing I am not aware of. Also, I think this issue was internally reported, as I do not have access to that, I can't check it myself, so I'll leave that job (checking if this issue was already reported, and report it if it wasn't) for @Tresset‌.

Edit: Tresset spent some points on Ninja'ing when he level'd up!
    CrevsDaak said:

The errors are in Action 26 & 27 form BMINSC.DLG. The first one should set the variable to 2 and the second one to 3 (to kill the loop). I'm uploading the fixed file in this post.

Hey, thanks for helping. Should I put this file in my overrride folder? After that it should work then?
    Tresset said:

If you could repro the issue so easily, then all you would have had to do is politely tell me that and I would have looked into it.

By the way, I regularly go out of my way to help people around here. I always do what I can to help anyone with issues and it really bothers me when there is nothing I can do to help them.

I did, my second post stated it as clearly as possible.

"It is easy to reproduce and it does it every time. You just need Neera and Minsc in the same party for long enough to fire banters. You can use Banterpack or speed up banters or just use CLUA console to fire them off."

Crevs there is a language barrier here and I won't assume to know what you are talking about in most of your post, it seems to contradict itself so I can't reply to the substance of your post except to state that, yes, this has already been reported, a basic google search will show you the threads, though no fix to the script was provided like the one you have.
    ekray said:

CrevsDaak said:

Hey, thanks for helping. Should I put this file in my overrride folder? After that it should work then?
    yeah, drop in the override folder. if it still no works, upload your save, Minsc may need an update of his dialog file in the .Gam file.
    zenblack said:

Crevs there is a language barrier here and I won't assume to know what you are talking about in most of your post, it seems to contradict itself so I can't reply to the substance of your post except to state that, yes, this has already been reported, a basic google search will show you the threads, though no fix to the script was provided like the one you have.

Evil people get tired fast, I'm sorry but if you have something REALLY useful to say spit it before I decide to stop reading. Really, I can be as evil as nice I was before.
    Yeah I tried and I think it still doesn't work but I'm not sure if there's supposed to be much banter in the Underdark. Anyway here's the save
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    It is in the consolidated tracker, the original reporter said the value of 3 didn't seem to help other banter, which I can see no reason for.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26578/7245-neera-conversation-loop-between-neera-and-minsc