Skip to content

What is your favorite method of killing dragons?

I made this discussion out of pure curiosity. I wanted to know different people's approaches to killing the greatest creatures in all of Faerun.

The first two dragons I killed I killed with planetars and their vorpal hits. Those two were Firkraag and the dragon whose name I can't pronounce or spell who drops the Goblet of Life. The second two (Draconis and Abazigal) I killed with Peridan (Dragonslayer) and Timestop-Dragon's Breath-Comet.
elminsterbooinyoureyeslelag200

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Timestop+shapechange: mindflayer.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I usually use Harm to reduce them to 1 HP then kill them with a Magic Missile / Poison Weapon
    BlackravenMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Doesn't magic resistance protect against Harm?
    I'm using Minsc with Peridan, Valygar dual-wielding Flail of Ages and his katana, Nalia with all her spell protections and Arbane's short sword +2 and a regular short sword +1, my main character with Holy Power, Aura of Flaming Death, and a Mace +1, Viconia with a regular warhammer, two Air Elementals, two Skeleton Warriors, and an Aerial Servant.

I HATE Wing Buffet. And I respect Red Dragon Breath. That did 129 damage to one of my skeleton warriors in one of my tries. And I'm up to five of those now.
  • lethaltoconcretelethaltoconcrete Member Posts: 27
    Like some others above, I usually buff up my party to the max then just charge in. It's more exhilarating to fight like that than to use crazy combos or buttloads of traps and such, I think - gets your heart racing, you have to manage your characters constantly throughout the fight. Like @Nonnahsriter said, you're fighting a freaking dragon, after all! Unless you wait til the end of the game and are super powerful, I guess... But then there's always Improved Abazigal! :)
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
    Yeah. That's my strategy for most fights, with some exceptions. I just run in there and start killing anything hostile (except for Commoners, who don't even attack).
    With Firkraag, I have my summons, Minsc, and Valygar attack him, have my main character cast Dispel Magic, have Viconia cast Bless, and have Nalia sniping him with her arrows.

Right there with ya. Firkraag wing buffeted himself to death right before I could kill him the other day. No XP. I was disappoint :(

How does he kill himself with his own wings? That's rather amusing, but how's that possible?
    The first line is what @lethaltoconcrete said. I have some problems when I delete parts of quotes (I deleted my quote.
  • lethaltoconcretelethaltoconcrete Member Posts: 27
    I think there's some bugs in some versions of the game where wing buffets hurt the dragons themselves? Could be a mod or something doing it - no clue. It is kinda funny.
    Saladrex is a dragon? I always assumed he was a lich...

It is ironic that a dragon got killed by Dragon's Breath. That's what happened to Draconis and Abazigal...of course, it was Minsc who killed them ultimately. It's ALWAYS Minsc. It's weird.
    lelag200booinyoureyes
    Ohhhhh... Where is he? I wanna kill him (I am not Chaotic Evil, it's just a fun challenge to fight a dragon).
    booinyoureyes
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Watcher's Keep 4th floor down.
    jackjack
    I assumed. I just wasn't sure.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    Magic Missile.

On my first playthrough, I believe Firkraag almost killed everyone or I was in deep trouble in some way, I cannot remember.

I think he was approaching Aerie after having devastated my party but we did serious damage to him.
    She launches one of her last Magic Missiles and he dies.

That was a huge sigh.
    NonnahswriterKamigoroshiCluas
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    I always liked the tactic of remove magic residtance+GM+Doom+Feeblemind. Your own dragon punching ball!

JuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    abazigal5 said:

I wanted to know different people's approaches to killing the greatest creatures in all of Faerun.

Pfeh, everyone should know that the oozes are the top of the food chain in the Forgotten Realms.

No flying lizard shall stand against the slithering, slimy might of Ghaunadaur's children!
    BlackravenFinaLfront
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Magic resistance can indeed block Harm, so I use a trigger with some Lower Resistance before if I'm high level enough, or I cast them manually if this is not the case.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Well, i always like using glitches, especially xp loopholes, in the original. Me killing dragons, always involves heavy summons, varieties and combinations of simulacrum, plus heavy duty damaging spells. But only once or twice was i forced to reload ever. I always reach them with enough levels to just have them dead, while my party is toying and trolling with them...
    JuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Mostly I find that just-charge-right-in-and-kill-it works, but it somewhat depends upon who's in my party and what abilities and equipment we've got.

I often find that Firkraag needs more careful preparation than other dragons, because he's quite tough and you can meet him quite early. The other dragon you can meet quite early (Thaxll'sillyia) is not so tough, and by the time you meet other (later) dragons you're probably pretty high-level yourself, so you can just stomp them.
    JuliusBorisov

Mostly I find that just-charge-right-in-and-kill-it works, but it somewhat depends upon who's in my party and what abilities and equipment we've got.

I often find that Firkraag needs more careful preparation than other dragons, because he's quite tough and you can meet him quite early. The other dragon you can meet quite early (Thaxll'sillyia) is not so tough, and by the time you meet other (later) dragons you're probably pretty high-level yourself, so you can just stomp them.

Is Thaxll'sillyia easier than Firkraag? I hope so.
    I just beat Firkraag. An Aerial Servant killed him, not Minsc. Why do I say that? Because Minsc kills everything. Literally EVERYTHING. He's killed Draconis, Abazigal, my first lich kill, and an Adamantite Golem. All in my first file; I'm in my second.
    abazigal5 said:

Is Thaxll'sillyia easier than Firkraag? I hope so.
    Oh, I started the whole Temple Ruins Quest, which I really didn't want to do, just so I could get the Crom Faeyr Scroll for Crom Faeyr. Then, you know what? I discovered I didn't have the Sewer Key so I COULDN'T GET THE HAMMER OF THUNDERBOLTS WHICH IS REQUIRED FOR CROM FAEYR. REALLY??!!