Skip to content

The (SCS no-reload) Tale of Serene Winterbloom, Beast Mistress of Candlekeep

13»

Comments

• TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Aw, I like Serene. I'd definitely like to see more of her, and how you handle SCS BG2. I find it a lot harder then SCS BG1, but you see so few reports about it, as many of the people doing reports are playing no reload and never make it through BG1!

(If only you had taken Kivan in to the party... if you're not using BG2EE (just plain old BG2) so he still works, I would consider him a prime candidate for Serene. No heartbreak, generally sweet guy recovering from his old pain, slowly falling in love together... it's very touching.)
    BlackravenRavenslightlolienJuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Thanks @EnialusMeliamne, @Elrandir, @MacHurto, and @jackjack for your kind words :)
    jackjackEnialusMeliamne
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    As I understand it, you have had a technical glitch and need to reload. I would treat it RP-wise as a dream sequence warning. Bhaal powers and all that. After all, the game crashed so Serene would not die. Who are you to defy the Gods? :-)
    RavenslightElrandirBlackravenlolien
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I was delighted to see you had decided to continue Serene’s story after all. But wow, what an unlucky start. Coran, that bad penny… It has to be Coran.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Wow! Big update! =D Poor Alora... No one who manages to kill the 'Vok should be chunked... As for the strange glitch, I would attest it to your heritage and keep going, but, like, not revive your allies or something. True you already lost gear, but isn't a corpse necessary for revival? (In PnP. Obviously not in game terms. =p) It would be a sad thing to happen, but at least she's still alive. At the very least you'd be taking a serious penalty. I know it's hard for you to justify your continuation of a series without serious penalties.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I agree with @Elrandir. Reload, considering it's a glitch, but sacrifice your group of companions and say they fell to the ambush Serene only barely managed to escape. It's a heavy sacrifice- Coran, Jaheira, Minsc, Nalia, and Aerie all gone in a wave of the hand, but I know you like handicaps if you have to 'restart' with a character.

And aww, Alora. I feel bad for her. Well, I feel bad for everyone, actually. That ambush sucks.
    Blackraven
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    How did this fly under my radar? I only noticed this thread last night. After finally catching up, I have a few things to say.

First, again thanks for the awesome story! There were a few parts in your tale that had me really laughing. Minsc and Alora killing the commoners was priceless, though I'm sure it pissed you off as it happened. My eyes went O.O at the part where Alora got chunked, followed by a wide grin and guffaw. Again sorry, I'm sure it wasn't funny for you at the time. I find the aspect of you gaining your ranger class back very intriguing, and I'm excited to see that you've decided to pick up the reigns once again. Look forward to your next post.
    JuliusBorisovlolienBlackraven
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    All the Orogs form the ambush are untouched by SCS (level and stat wise), so using Cloudkill will kill them all. That's what I did with Darhaina (Kensai/Conjurer/Assassin) to survive from the Orogs.
    I was surprised to see an SCS Mage casting PW: Sleep over Aerie; and it makes me wonder if you haven't edited her into a Half-Elf.
    The Rune Assassins are very tough, they have 19 STR and a backstab multiplier of 4, I always do that part of the quest if I have 3 > Stoneskins to cast (if I don't have SCS one Stoneskin can handle both very well).
    JuliusBorisovElrandirlolien
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    @Blackraven‌ - great write-up!
    Must have taken almost as long to compile as to play.

Did you post your mod list anywhere? (Are they all available on EE as well?)

Lastly, is Serene still Fallen? (How would you find a RP context to "raise" her status, I wonder?)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Thanks @FinalFront, and @Ygramul! :)
    I've failed to respond earlier because I keep getting logged off the site. Sorry about that.

I'm going to continue this run as a test run through BG2. I'll keep on trying to journal not only Serene's progress but also RP aspects. But first I want to have a proper no-reload character in BG2. I'm working on that with an Undead Hunter. (@CrevsDaak, Sampariy the wicked Halfling Barbarian/Druid has got to wait a bit, because that one is going to be RP'ed character, and I still need to flesh him out a bit.)

@FinalFront, don't worry about laughing. :D I also tend to laugh or at least smile when I read about other players' ordeals. The setbacks, the narrow escapes, the changes of plans help make these kinds of journals very interesting. Plus as fellow gamers we can all imagine how one feels in given situation.
    @Ygramul, you can find my WEIDU log here. Just scroll down to the middle of the page... Some of the mods aren't available yet for EE I'm afraid. I hope that mods like aTweaks, Hard Times and Item Randomization do become available at some point. They've become staples for me to play with.
    Serene is still fallen, but I don't need to find an RP context to restore her to Ranger status, as the game provides two of them:

completing the Ranger Stronghold Quests, and the Hell Trials.

@CrevsDaak, Cloudkill :) Good tip! Thanks. Btw I hadn't edited Aerie into Half-Elf...
    FinaLfrontCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov