Skip to content

World cup 2014. Who's gonna be the winner?

PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
edited May 2014 in Off-Topic
I tried my best in choosing the options.

This poll will be closed 10 days before the first match (02/06/2014 or 06/02/2014 if you call this sport soccer).
I just want to see what we think NOW.
When the cup will be closer, we could have different ideas, so we could use a new poll and see the differences.
  1. World cup 2014. Who's gonna be the winner?29 votes
    1. Argentina
      13.79%
    2. Brasil
      24.14%
    3. England
      13.79%
    4. France
        3.45%
    5. Germany
      17.24%
    6. Italy
        3.45%
    7. Spain
      10.34%
    8. Uruguay
        6.90%
    9. Croatia, Netherland or Portugal (Teams who played at least a semi-final)
        3.45%
    10. Any other team
        3.45%
Post edited by Pibaro on
jackjackJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakDungeonnoob

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My vote goes to whoever has more tentacles in their team.
    PibaroDungeonnoobjackjack
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I still think it's a little bit too early to make a prediction. We don't know final squads of the major favourites yet, we haven't had Champions League and Europa League finals yet, several national championships are not over yet (including Spain), we don't know if there are any major absentees in terms of footballers who right now seems to be fit.

Of course, a vote in this poll can be just fun and I'm able to vote now. But as I would like to be sure (at least at the moment I vote) in my own opinion, I'd wait a little bit longer. To see some news regarding every team, to check final squads, to read more or less detailed observations about footballers and coaches.

Right now, William Hill, one of the world's biggest bookmakers, offers the following odds:

3/1 to Brazil, 9/2 to Argentina, 11/2 to Germany, 7/1 to Spain, 14/1 to Belgium, 20/1 to France, 22/1
    to Colombia, 25/1 to Italy, 25/1 to Uruguay, 28/1 to Netherlands, 33/1 to England, 33/1 to Portugal, 40/1 to Chile, 66/1 to Russia, 100/1 to Switzerland, 125/1 to Japan, 150/1 to Bosnia & Herzegovina, 150/1 to Croatia, 150/1 to Ecuador, 150/1 to Ivory Coast, 150/1 to Mexico, 150/1 to USA, 200/1 to Ghana, 250/1 to Greece, 250/1 to Nigeria, 250/1 to South Korea, 750/1 to Australia, 750/1 to Cameroon, 750/1 to Iran, 1000/1 to Algeria, 2500/1 to Costa Rica and 2500/1 to Honduras.

Looking at these odds, the safest vote would be Brazil but in football it doesn't always happen this way. Anything can happen. Even these odds can change many times before the first kick-off.

So I would just wait and see.
    PibaroDungeonnoobjackjackAristillius
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    edited May 2014
    @bengoshi‌
    I see your point.
    I changed the topic.
    This poll will be closed 10 days before the first match.
    The purpose of this poll is just to see what we think now. We could make a new poll later and see if we change our mind.
    Post edited by Pibaro on
    jackjackJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'm rooting for Belgium and Japan.
    PibarojackjackJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, after giving a thoroughly detailed analysis to all the squads, footballers and coaches of the WC at the weekend, I think I'm ready to vote.

So, @Pibaro‌ , this is what I'm thinking now: Argentina (1st), Germany (2nd) and Brasil (3rd).

Of course, this can be changed closer to the tournament, so that before I place my bets for the forum game, I'll give this another thought.

BTW, this utility can help greatly to check what teams can play against each other : http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/world-cup/tournament-predictor
    Pibaro
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Croatia Crrrrrr-ooooooooatia! Cro-at-ia.... Croatia!

I have never seen a soccer game. I don't play soccer. I don't watch soccer. I live in the us and don't even like American football. Hell, some of you are already made at me for calling it soccer.
    But Croatia is fun to say. Cro-at-tia CROATIA!
    Cro-at-tia CROATIA! Cro-at-tia CROATIA! Cro-at-tia CROATIA! Cro-at-tia CROATIA!
    jackjackJuliusBorisovPibaroDungeonnoob
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I have a good feeling for Argentina this year... Hmm, but I like so many of the teams! Germany is awesome, Uruguay will be super aggressive, and Brazil will be just bad-ass :D
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovPibaroDungeonnoob
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    edited May 2014
    I hope England wins it and i hope Rooney will stop passing and start shooting like he did in Everton.
    Its better to face Italy early than in the playoffs methinks.. but it still going to be tough.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackBlackravenbooinyoureyes
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    No option for Fifa?
    PibaroCrevsDaakelminster
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2014

I firmly believe that this is the year that The Netherlands makes it to the World Cup Final, and on the big stage, finally, FINALLY gets that fifth Runners Up Medal. ;-)

It would be their fourth ('74, '78, '10). They reached the semis in '98, with a team that was actually better than the 2010 squad imo, but lost unluckily on penalties to Brazil.
    Anyway I think if you asked people in Holland right now if they'd be content with 2nd place, you would get a big YES SIR! Expectations are low, and understandibly so. The majority of the squad consists of youth players from the national league with little or no international experience. The coach, Louis van Gaal, seems to prefer these kinds of players to work with, and has even ignored talented players with experience in some of the big leagues and the Champions' League such as Virgil van Dijk (Celtic), Alexander Büttner (Man Utd), goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham), Urby Emmanuelson (AC Milan) and Gregory van der Wiel (PSG). Obviously if it would come to another final, the Dutch would mourn yet another 2nd place...

I'm intuitively going with Argentina. They have one of the four or five best teams in the world (together with Spain, Germany, Brazil and maybe France), but I have no solid arguments why Argentina would prevail over those other teams. I filled out the schedule a few weeks ago in @bengoshi's thread, and had Argentina beat Brazil in the final.
    Post edited by Blackraven on
    DungeonnoobbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't really care about soccer, but I just like Germany for some reason.
    elminsterjackjackJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Truly, the real winner will be the sport of football itself.

But I'm going to say Germany.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovelminster
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Ok.
    Today it's the closing day.
    I thnk it's about time to close this poll.
    Now we can make more detailed predictions here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31776/world-cup-countdown-only-8-days-to-go-participate-in-our-tournament-and-make-your-predictions#latest

I can't close the poll... maybe a moderator can :)
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Let the most luckiest win this poll! The time will tell;)
    CrevsDaak
This discussion has been closed.