Skip to content

Not so much a new forum member as an old D&Der

kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
I am new to this forum, but I've been role playing and D&Ding since forever .... I even played D&D before there was an AD&D! I've been BGing since the first game came out, and been part of other forums for almost as long. I even ran my own Forgotten Realms site and forum when I had money and my brain still worked ;) I'm not actually boasting here ... what I'm actually doing is letting you know how old and decrepit I am.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Don't worry. You're quite young compared to some of the undead roaming around the forum. Am I right @Anduin‌? ;)
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    mlnevese said:

Don't worry. You're quite young compared to some of the undead roaming around the forum. Am I right @Anduin‌? ;)

I bet I'm not! My roleplaying goes back as far as traveller as well as the original D&D.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I'm 6000 thousand years young. But I played Games Workshop versions of DnD. (Warhammer) so you may have played DnD longer than I. However I can trump you still @LadyRhian‌ has played DnD from the start as well and has all the box sets!
    edited June 2014
    @LadyRhian Oh excellent! Or as they used to say in kiwiland where I came from Choice eh!
    I started out as a wargamer (the only female wargamer in New Zealand at the time), and then moved on to RPGs as well. I used to have boxed sets of Traveller and Runequest - but lost them in a custody battle.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @kiwidoc I remember both Traveller and Runequest- but never played either. I do remember some of the war-games a friend of mine was into- mainly ones set in World War 2- I never got into those, either. I did have the hardback edition of Traveller, and I remember reading about "Empire of the Petal Throne", another one I didn't play. I did get Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Gangbusters, Boot Hill and Gamma World. I still have my Top Secret stuff (I didn't like it when it morphed into Top Secret/S.I.). I did play Ghostbusters, Paranoia, a game called "Dai-Sho, Soul of the Samurai" (my character actually rolled a Tachi (two-handed samurai blade) and once hit another man so hard that the blade got stuck in him… During that adventure, my character won the Tsuba (sword-guards) of the Daimyo, which was a big honor. It was fun!), and I even got to play Dark Tower (the electronic game, which I bought again online on E-bay) and Talisman. I also have a lot of Judges Guild stuff. The best were their books of Treasure Maps and The Book of Ruins.

I also remember T&T, Tunnels and Trolls. And Toon. I played Toon at a convention once. A Cat and a Mouse find magic wands and have a duel. I played the cat and when the mouse buried me in whipped cream, I pointed my wand and said, "Cherries". That made the GM laugh, and I got points for it. I played "Rifts" once, but never really got into it. I played a game called "Merc", also at a convention (in West Point, NY), and survived the game.

http://www.amazon.com/MERC-Modern-Playing-Counter-Insurgency/dp/B000CIRA6W

I also had/have Grimtooth's Traps. There is a whole sequence of humiliating traps to make the player not want to talk about how they died… like the whipped cream pit- you drown in a vat of whipped cream (it's too light to float in/on and will still gum up your lungs like whoa!). Or the Hall of the Memorial Carpet- where you are locked into a room with a descending ceiling. If you don't manage to escape, you become part of the "carpet" that covers the floor.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    This thread has made me feel nostalgic and happy so I would try to pass this feeling to others:

Now I'm really waxing nostalgic. Top Secret - oh gods I remember playing that. Did anyone else play "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - a game that was out before they were cleaned up, and made sugar sweet for kiddies. I have fond memories of my mutant badger with a naughty sense of humour.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @bengoshi I used to have the first printing Deities and Demigods with the Melinbonean Mythos in it. But I sold it at one point when my Mom convinced me to give up AD&D. It lasted a whole 3 months, but I have never been able to find another copy like that. :P

@kiwidoc I never played it, but I remember the ads for the RPG in Dragon Magazine. I also remember the ads for "City-State of the Invincible Overlord". Also 1881, "Buck Rodgers in the XVIth Century", TORG, Shadowrun (which I *did* play, cutter ;) ), Ghostbusters, DC Heroes, Marvel Heroes (Which I never really liked because of the vague generalities about the character's powers and stats. "Good" strength vs. "Unearthly" strength?). I also played the Hero System (Champions) and Villains and Vigilantes- oh, and the Doctor Who Roleplaying Game! And Gurps. I also played in a Game of Rifts, but never was enamored with it. And I played in a Star Wars:RPG at a convention. I played a Bounty Hunter named Anitra of Nivia. I played stupid as a Gamorrean Guard so that everyone would discount me, and at the end, I pulled the fat out of the fire for the PCs. When anyone (outside the PCs) tried to talk to me, I was all "Me Guard. She person I guard." (points at the Republic Senator we were guarding). When she defected to the Empire, the Moff she was defecting with/to sent two Stormtroopers to take care of me. I pushed them aside and grabbed the Moff and pointed my blaster at his head, saying, "Make a move and you'll start breathing through a new orifice."