Skip to content

Stuck after first conversation in Irenicus dungeon (solved)

TeraAkronTeraAkron Member Posts: 10
edited June 2014 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hi all,

Please help me...I am a bit desperate because I can't solve this problem and I really want to play this game.

Whenever I start a new BG2 SoA game (fresh install), with any character (imported, new or one of the presets), the Irenicus "time for more experiments" cutscene begins to play...but once the golem comes in and Irenicus says "they act sooner than we had anticipated", the conversation stops, Irenicus and the golem keep looking at each other...and nothing happens. The game doesn't move on. It doesn't crash to desktop or anything, music keeps going on, but it just seems that the conversation breaks and the game is "stuck".

I have no mods installed whatsoever and I tried 4-5 fresh re-installs already, on different drivers just to be sure. I tried uninstalling and re-installing sound and graphics drivers. I tried to use the "repair installation" feature in the launcher many times. Nothing worked. I am running on a modern machine (I5, Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB RAM etc).

I am clueless what is going wrong, and any help would be much welcome and appreciated.

I am attaching a file for your consideration this is exactly where the game 'stops'

Thank you
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Have you tried rebooting after the install (a long shot admittedly)
  • TeraAkronTeraAkron Member Posts: 10
    Yes, many times :-(

I am quite tech-savvy, so I tried many of the standard responses already..fresh install, restarts, reinstalled audio/gfx drivers, repaired installation, etc.

No luck so far.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    What is your video card/sound card? (I'm guessing someone at Overhaul may need to know this to look into fixing this).
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited June 2014
    Could you try and modify your cutscene FPS rate in the baldur.ini file?

'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '##',

The default should be '30', so try 25 or 20 and see if you generate a different result before we start diving into your OpenGL driver version.

Knowing your graphic card would help a lot too, especially if you're using the on-board graphic chip on your motherboard, versus one you bought and plunked in yourself. A lot of new graphic cards no longer support OpenGL via their drivers, so we might have to downgrade the driver version you're using for your card.

In-game, you can check what hardware you're running to display the game.

Under the graphics option, at the top of the screen, it will display your OpenGL driver version, along with your graphic card.

When you start the game, you get the options for Baldur's Gate 2, Shadows of Amn. Baldur's Gate 2, Throne of Bhaal and the Black Pits 2. Below is an OPTIONS button. Click that, then click on GRAPHICS.

Let us know what information it provides.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Does this type of things happen with a ToB game? Are you using an imported character? If so, could you please attach it to a post by zipping/rar'ing it and uploading it with the attach a file option under the comment box?
    Hi Sylvus and Crevs,

Thanks for your answers, some feedback:

1. I tried the framerate change, but nothing was solved. I tried 20 and 25, but no progress.

2. New games of ToB and Black Pits II work fine. Cutscenes play normally.

3. My graphics card is AMD Radeon 6950 2GB. OpenGL version is 4.4.12967 Compability Profile Context 14.200.0.0

Any help appreciated :-(
    I got it !!

My sound card is Creative Titanium Xi-Fi. Creative released a new set of drivers on 7th March 2014, which have added compatability with Windows 8, apart from being able to run on Win 7 / XP.

I uninstalled this driver and installed an older one, dated 2010 (yes, it's been 4 years since Creative released newer drivers)

The cutscene now worked. Stay away from this driver update guys !!

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&prodID=17927&prodName=PCI+Express+X-Fi+Titanium

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Hey, great news brave warrior @TeraAkron!

Knowledge worth banking for anyone else who runs into this issue.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    To end, like this?

No! I... I REFUSE!

Way to Macgyver @TeraAkron‌ !
    Thanks guys, I really wanted to re-play this wonderful game.

You are right, perhaps someone with the necessary powers can add this driver issue to the "Consolidated Reported Issues" thread.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Going to move to the "Not an issue" section as it doesn't sound like a game fault.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Moved to the performance issues section so that it can be found easier and will hopefully help others that may have this problem.
  • NethogNethog Member Posts: 6
    I have exactly the same problem with the game, and I do have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series sound card. I have tried reloading an older version of the driver from http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=0&CatName=&subCatID=0&subCatName=&prodID=17813&prodName=&bTopTwenty=1&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_17813,VARSET=CategoryID:0 (file XFTI_PCDRV_LB_2_17_0008.exe released in 2010) but Windows 8.1 seems to keep overriding with a newer driver. I have tried uninstalling all creative sound card drivers using device manager, and all creative programs, and have even tried disabling windows automatic installation of device drivers, before loading the older driver cited above, but windows always overrides the driver with a newer version. Can anyone offer any ideas on how to install the older driver?