Skip to content

Weird Backstab Values

OneHandedSquireOneHandedSquire Member Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Not An Issue
Hey folks,

I've been noticing an extreme incongruity in the damage I should be dealing during a backstab with my Shadowdancer character and the damage I actually end up dealing.

Attached are some screenshots fighting some goblins (I assume they have no resistances that would apply, though this phenomenon is not unique to them), a save from just after taking those screenshots and a save just after importing my character. At this point I should be doing 9-16 on a normal hit with my longsword, but my results have regularly been in the 13-28 range with a x3 backstab.

This happened during BGI as well, but I wasn't concerned until I started the second game and am doing damage that looks more like what my base damage should be to a bunch of scrub goblins. I've heard there are hidden fatigue penalties that get involved, but my character should definitely be well-rested. I just imported and have slept a few times before the first day was even out.

I worry that a bug or design error might be involved if it's occurring under these circumstances, but it's certainly possible there might be something invisible going on. BG isn't always blatant about what's going on under the hood.

If anybody could enlighten me as to why I'm getting these results, it'd sure be appreciated!
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    ...intersting. In that first pic it looks like you multiplied by 3 and 16. How did you roll a 5.3333333333333?
  • OneHandedSquireOneHandedSquire Member Posts: 4
    I'm not exactly sure about the mechanics going on underneath, but there's a few reasons I can think of that it might give me a result not divisible by 3.

It might be rolling my 1d8+8 three times and taking the sum rather than rolling it and multiplying. Of course, even if it did that I should be getting at least 27.

It might be adding or subtracting a value from my total damage roll somewhere along the line, maybe it's rolling 3d8 and then adding the flat bonuses once or these goblins have a suspicious hidden resistance to sneak attacks? I have no idea for what reason it might do that and I've noticed that it's told me when it's subtracted such values before (like fighting the doppelganger at the bottom of this dungeon).

I guess it's also possible the numbers I'm getting on the goblins are just their max hit points and the game doesn't want to tell me about potential damage I'm not doing, but that seems unlikely for a few reasons. I assume all the goblins don't have variable HP values and I'm doing damage on them alone that ranges from 13-28. I'm also getting sub-par sneak attacks on things I can't one-shot. And I'm reasonably sure I've cranked in a few blows that were overkill and the game was happy to report on the damage.

Or maybe I rolled a 5 1/3... somehow. I'm surely flummoxed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hello, @OneHandedSquire‌ !

Everything is right.

The STR bonus to damage is not multiplied for a backstab. Only your base damage is. Your STR bonus is just added later. @meagloth‌

So, in this case you have a 1d8+1 sword. It looks like you've got 2 on your damage roll. So (2+1)*3+7=16.
  • OneHandedSquireOneHandedSquire Member Posts: 4
    Well, don't I feel silly now. Still, nice to have that cleared up! Thanks a bunch, Bengoshi!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    bengoshi said:

Hello, @OneHandedSquire‌ !

Everything is right.

The STR bonus to damage is not multiplied for a backstab. Only your base damage is. Your STR bonus is just added later. @meagloth‌

So, in this case you have a 1d8+1 sword. It looks like you've got 2 on your damage roll. So (2+1)*3+7=16.

That's dumb tho.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2014
    Your normal damage is [2-9] + 7 = [9-16], so your backstab damage is [3*2-3*9] + 7 = [6-27] + 7 = [13-34].

Not an issue.