Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
Just a general testing of the water here. In Australia we have a violent, bigoted, racist, mindless old fool for a prime minister at the moment. Although you might say for a politician, "That sounds a bit over qualified" most Australians seem to be growing tired of him rather rapidly.

Every now and again in my country, usually it seems to be once every 12 or so years, having forgotten what it was like last time, we vote in the Liberal Party. We then proceed to remember why we stopped voting for them the last time. Because it's awful and in a few short months sends the country spiraling back into the dark ages with such memorable golden quotes:

‘I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons’

And lets never forget!

‘Climate change is absolute crap’

So, what are some opinions of politics and politicians in general where you're from?
I doubt this will be everyone's cup of tea but I do enjoy insights into other countries!
If you took the time to read this I thank you!
Post edited by Tresset on
JuliusBorisovAristilliusCrevsDaakrufus_hobartlolienFinaLfrontelminsterButtercheeseBaldursCatMush_MushsparkleavbutteremailsProont

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Wow. Well, I'm not sure. Our prime minister is an ass but Australia has never really been a country of military action. We don't share land borders with anyone and tend to remain militarily out of things. We went to Afghanistan and Iraq in support of the U.S. however I really didn't feel this was out problem. I was fortunate in not having to serve there.

The opinion of Putin abroad is much the same. He's a strong man, former KGB who seems to miss the "Glory Days" of the Soviet Union. Granted the Soviet Union had it's successes, namely World War 2. Without Russia's involvement in that the west would be German and Japanese now. The west owes Russia a debt in that respect that can never be paid, and sadly probably never will. It also had a great many not so glorious achievements. Russia has a long history of rough leadership but has had a few extraordinary ones as well. Sadly they seem to be few and far between and are never around when you need them.

Georgia and the Ukraine I fully agree on. Russia has no business and no justifiable reason to annex the Crimea and arm, organize and train "Separatists". To be honest I think, from a military and political point of view he was looking for a chance to flex his muscles and rattle the saber a little bit. Although it may have blown up in his face a little bit. He doesn't seem like the type to admit a failure.

I feel rather sorry for the Russian people to be honest, it looked like it might be beginning to improve a little there after the fall of the Soviet Union but seems to be heading down hill again. Another arm's race with the U.S. or E.U. is certainly NOT what Russia needs.

We hear he plans to build several large nuclear aircraft carriers by around 2020ish. On top of a fairly large blue water navy. Which is a total waste of resources and money.
    JuliusBorisovDemonoid_Limewirelolien
    @ZelgadisGW‌ that seems to be the general feel for politicians here. My fiancee and I think they should have massive pay cuts and loose they're government pensions. Ergo it would become something you do out of a general desire to lead rather then get rich at the expense of everyone else.
    Here, if you set foot in the prime ministers office you get a pension when you leave. Regardless of age or how long you stay there. Could be a day and you'll still get it. Plus all the benefits...
    Demonoid_LimewireBaldursCat
    @Squire‌ Oh yea! Politics is always a great topic! Nothing brings out fire and death like POLITICS!
    Okay how in the hell did that happen? More importantly who thought it was a good idea? "Bring peace to the Middle East. Obviously if we invade here... and... here... we can give them a healthy dose of democracy." Well, your obviously qualified. You can drive... so... :P

@NaturalBornKieler‌ Boring is great! Germany runs with the well oiled efficiency one would expect of Germans I expect :P Isn't your Chancellor an ex-scientist? That might indicate the presence of a brain...
    Demonoid_LimewirelolienFredjo
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    @CaloNord I have a friend of mine from Australia who despises that guy, even invited me to like a page that bashes him. As Lemmy said "Politics %$#@ You!"
    CaloNordCrevsDaak
    @TarotMaster‌ at this point I will pay money to anyone who can actually FIND a Liberal supporter. We couldn't find anyone when he was voted in and your damn sure we can't find any now...
    Oh yea, there is tons of those, even I run one from time to time....
    https://www.facebook.com/KickTonyAbbott?ref=br_tf
    Ahahaha :D
    TarotMasterDemonoid_Limewire
  • NaturalBornKielerNaturalBornKieler Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 407
    CaloNord said:

@NaturalBornKieler‌ Boring is great! Germany runs with the well oiled efficiency one would expect of Germans I expect :P Isn't your Chancellor an ex-scientist? That might indicate the presence of a brain...

If you say so :) Yes she's a physicist but she does not make much use of it. Her main political goal is to stay in office. She achieves that by telling everyone that everything is great as it is and therefore nothing should be changed and she'll make sure that no change happens. Enough people want exactly that and reelect her all the time. Oh well. Could be worse, as I said, but boring.
    CaloNordlolien
    @NaturalBornKieler‌ Hahah well it's going better for her then it is for Russia and us. People naturally don't like change. We liked our country the way it was. Before Abbott swung by and made sure we work until 70. Yay. I can't retire and claim a government pension for another fourty eight years...
    She reminds me of the voice over from Fallout if I recall "All is well. All is well. Return to your rooms. All is well."
    JuliusBorisovDemonoid_Limewire
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014

Politicians should be changed as often as diapers. And for the same reasons.

They unfortunately aren't. Any American will recall how the news media flipped when incumbent Eric Cantor was beat out for the first time in like 40 years or some shit.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/us/politics/eric-cantor-loses-gop-primary.html?_r=0
    The thing everybody keeps repeating is that cantors campaign spent more at steakhouses than brat spent. At all. Gives me hope about winning a general assembly seat with the $17 I found in my sock drawer. Time to break out the charm spells!
    elminsterCrevsDaakCaloNord
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    @elminster At least ford is getting help now. Now if we could only do something about those conservatives...
    CaloNord
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Corvino said:

= Perhaps encouraging people to transfer from relevant jobs into politics would inject a bit of pragmatic common sense instead of the moronic career politicians that seem to be everywhere.

I'm 100% for this
    Quartzlolien
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

The thing everybody keeps repeating is that cantors campaign spent more at steakhouses than brat spent. At all.

Interesting fact about this campaign is that Brat and his opponent are both professors at the same university.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    meagloth
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    CaloNord said:

Without Russia's involvement in that the west would be German and Japanese now. The west owes Russia a debt in that respect that can never be paid, and sadly probably never will.

As per wiki and an annoying person with a cough...

In August 1939, at Stalin's direction, the Soviet Union entered into a non-aggression pact with Nazi Germany, containing a secret protocol, dividing the whole of eastern Europe into German and Soviet spheres of influence. Thereafter, Germany and the Soviet Union invaded their apportioned sections of Poland. cough... starting WW2... cough as the bad guys... cough cough The Soviet Union later invaded Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and part of Romania, along with an attempted invasion of Finland. cough... Finland kicked russia's ass cough cough Stalin and Hitler later traded proposals for a Soviet entry into the Axis Pact.

And... back to non-wiki...

Germany failed to even come close to taking Britain due to losing the Battle of Britain in the air. The blitzkrieg, the only advantage Germany ever had really, because they were not the superior race, they were far weaker because they could not see the talents in others... Were never ever going to win. As for Japan? They were going to defeat the entire Chinese sub continent and America? I haven't enough time to look up reasons why Japan stretched itself to idiotic limits by attacking the USA. But I can call you an idiot for making crass opinions stating we owe russia, who sent its soldiers to war without even rifles...

Most people with access to higher education think Putin is a bully. Most people call him worse. But then a country like russia may need dictator or it would collapse. Multi billion dollar industries would be destroyed and the only people who would benefit would be the people. All 143 million of them. But dictators don't like people so he won't let thar happen without a few thousand deaths...

And lastly. You must be a New Zealander to actually say Australia is not a militaristic nation. Look up your own history and give your own people the damn recognition to allow you to vote for the stupid arsed politicians you have today. If you feel you can do better sign up and get yourself elected. Although to get elected you will have to convince others your not a twat.
    CaloNordJuliusBorisovlolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Sorry, was that a flame? I thought it was a reiteration of facts? I suppose I did want him to recognise the 27,073 Australian men who died to ensure he had the freedom to vote for the politician he wanted...

Angry isn't me... And I suppose not everyone has to teach history, or had to grow up strong and proud under the shadow and threat of the mushroom cloud...

Can't we make a technocracy. People give a problem and post it on the net. People give a range of solutions to it and post them . The people then all get a vote via the Internet... It will completely disfranchise those without an internet connection... but first law is...Give everyone the internet. End of politicians. Everyone becomes a politician. Amen (actually better keep religion out of it) Sorted.
    meaglothlolienFredjo
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited June 2014
    One thing that could help politics but doesn't seem to be much used is "Evidence-Based Decision Making". It gets used a lot in scientific, medical and business projects but doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on the policies of most governments. Basically you do limited trials of policies to see in practice what works.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt announced "bold, persistent experimentation" as part of his presidency. They tried new things, kept them if they worked and admitted and cancelled them if they didn't. There's a reason he's the second most popular US President of all time.

Because he is smarter and better at explaining things than I am, I suggest reading some of Ben Goldacre's articles on it.
    CaloNordmeaglothlolien
This discussion has been closed.