Skip to content

If you've played before, how do you NOT metagame? (spoilers)

BGLover1981BGLover1981 Member Posts: 13
Maybe I just misunderstand the term. But typically, at the very least you're preparing your character in terms of weapon proficiencies and spells based on what you know you'll "discover" later on. How do you roleplay "accidentally" stumbling upon Belm or Celestial Fury early on (or do you purposely avoid them, which displays equal foreknowledge)? Would you spend some extra time in an area just casually moving the mouse around until you happened to highlight that hidden stash that you didn't "know" was there?

It just seems to me that it would be impossible not to metagame unless you've never played before and have looked up nothing about the game in advance. Maybe a close second would be coming back to the game after a very long time.
Post edited by Lemernis on

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    So for me it isn't that much of a problem because I don't remember specific details of the game enough to make it worth while.

On the other hand, I do, by natural recourse, explore every single board to the fullest. In that, I use the TAB function as a form of "Searching". So as for example, when going to the Friendly Arm Inn for the first time, I don't look for or avoid looking for the ring outside. However, once I have settled in and met up with Jaheira and Khalid, I do search the grounds if for no other reason than to find joli's ring. I even 'Role play' it that it might indeed be her ring that I find under the tree. When she "Says" it isn't (in my mind), i take it to the temple to be identified.

Maybe in this it is to my benefit that I am not that great a player, because all of the strategies and such don't clutter up my mind such that they impact my Meta-gaming.

As for the Mind flayer suggestion, that's easy. Having been made aware of the uses of Chaotic Commands probably came with some 'Example' uses such as Mind Flayers. It isn't like they are totally unheard of as a species after all. And when you go into the underdark, they are one of the races most likely to be encountered, so prepare. Simple as that.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @subtledoctor‌ - Last I checked there's a dev version for BGEE

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=25430
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2014
    I always give my thief loads of sneaking skills, so he or she can scout out any areas thoroughly. This means if I spot an obvious baddy I can buff before the fight. If it's just some other adventurers I try not to buff until hostilities begin.
    I think using the tab key is fine - I always have at least a half elf if not a full elf, and they are supposed to be very good at spotting things.
    I assume that the party has a reasonable amount of knowledge about various creatures, and that their knowledge increases. After all they don't spend all their resting time asleep - they chat to other people in the inn, they read a little, they share specialized knowledge with each other etc So yes, they do know what to watch out for when facing a mind-flayer, and they would watch out for Sirenes on deserted and wild coastlines.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

It just seems to me that it would be impossible not to metagame unless you've never played before and have looked up nothing about the game in advance.

This^. People can try to headcanon their way around it, but basically there's no way completely to avoid metagaming once you know the game. Nevertheless, I do think it's possible somewhat to vary the extent of metagaming by deliberately taking decisions which are "in character" rather than what you know would have been optimal ... that's an essential element of roleplaying, I reckon.
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    Hm, well ok, in that case... Bhaal essence! *handwave*
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Divination. You know stuff because the party's mage or priest cast some divination spell revealing enemy's location or numbers or type or etc.

A nature type (Druid/Ranger) can Track enemies. "These are wyvern footprints, they must be close."

A Bard or someone with Lore heard of this place. "I heard of this dungeon, supposedly is filled with undead and I think a Lich rests here."

Scouting with someone invisible or hidden. Or the one with high Charisma asks questions about the area or rumors or important places. Maybe he bribes them or intimidates them.

The simplest way is just say "divination magic" and be done with it. Scrying can work wonders in PnP.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited June 2014
    Let the Fates Decide - that's one true way to play without metagaming if you have played before.

Everything else has its flaws but this playthough is simply ideal.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    There's been very small increases in metagaming between my playthroughs, including the first and the second. This is because I'm such a hardcore badass roleplayer I read a guide for the first playthrough.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Let the fates decide really is the only way to do it. I don't mind to much, I try to see the world and interact with it in the way my character would but you just can't forget where all the quests are and all the powerful loot.
    For me having a back story for my character is rather important, if I don't know a bit about him or her it's very difficult to determine how he or she would react in a given situation.
    Never the less, that style isn't for everyone.
  • BGLover1981BGLover1981 Member Posts: 13
    bengoshi said:

Let the Fates Decide - that's one true way to play without metagaming if you have played before.

What all does this mod do?

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited June 2014
    Since Bengoshi isn't around at the moment, It isn't a mod. :) It's making decisions using a dice and a deck of cards ;) Or anything else you'd like to use :) Thus trusting to fate a bit more then your own mind :)
    For example, a d4 for directions and red suit cards for yes, black suit cards for no. Nice and easy and totally random :)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

bengoshi said:

What all does this mod do?

Click the link, oh ever clever one.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    edited June 2014
    The main thing is, I don't really care all that much.

I'm not really a power gamer anyway, I use the weapons I like; long sword, flail, mace, halberd, long and short bow. I don't need no stinken' curvy swords...
    I like a variety of character classes, I build them intelligently and by my own preferences, but I don't sweat what is "best" for beating the game. I can win with a jester, so I'm not worried about the power issues.

As far as pre-buffing, in most cases I'm willing to assume my character knows his business as well as I do. If I see a bunch of life like statues, I get the gaze reflection up. I usually have at least one tank protected by chaotic commands anyway. And for the big fights, well I figure a party of warriors, or demons, or trolls, makes enough noise to be noticed prior to the "fog of war" element allows for anyway.

I don't memorize enemies enough to remember where they're going to be standing or what spells they'll be casting or anything anyway. I just practice sound tactics to neutralize spell casters and eliminate foes as quickly as possible. As US Grant said; " I don't worry about what the other guy will be doing, I just worry about what I'm doing."
    Post edited by atcDave on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Lemernis, wouldn't you need to do a red card-black card draw to see if Yeslick agrees to put on the cursed belt? I thought the main point of your method was to give the characters minds of their own, such that you don't control their motivations yourself. :)
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    I always metagame. If I know that there is a tough fight behind the next door, I pre-buff. If I know that there is a trap on the walkway, I detect and disarm it. It's definitely saved more than one of my party member's lives.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited July 2014

@Lemernis, wouldn't you need to do a red card-black card draw to see if Yeslick agrees to put on the cursed belt? I thought the main point of your method was to give the characters minds of their own, such that you don't control their motivations yourself. :)

I do card flips or roll a die for when something is in question (in my mind) about what a character would do in the roleplay--or just to add fun value in some cases. But if I can pretty easily imagine what a character would do, I go with the roleplay.

This one will be fun to see how it plays out in imagination, as I try to imagine what the input of all the various party members is, and then finally what Yeslick is willing to do. I think Yeslick trying out the belt will be suggested to him, but exactly how it is done could definitely impact the outcome.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

The cleric can just...detect magical auras.

This is a bit of a stretch. Maybe a Wizard could do this, but....

On the other hand, although I don't suspect that your Cleric's actual Deity pays much mind to a 7th level Cleric, who is to say that whatever lesser Demi-God who does look after the day-to-day stuff for your Deity isn't 'Helping' out a bit and suggesting (in the Cleric's sleep or prayers) that X-spell might be useful, or that you should prepare for Y contingency. Just saying.

Also, remember that you are a Bhaalspawn who is already having prophetic dreams. who is to say that doesn't include some foreshadowing for your present predicament. After all, considering that you have it in you to go the distance, nothing says you weren't 'Someone's favorite all along. Just sayin.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    How do I not metagame?

I forget.
    Too many blows to the head do that to you.

However, metagaming does have its appeals for RPing too. My current character is a descendant of Balduran looking to reacquire all of his families lost artifacts. He has studied them, read up on them in Candlekeep, dreamed of wielding the sword of Balduran and practiced with Hull to become proficient in long swords. Is it metagaming that I know they exist? Or is it just crafty roleplaying because if I was playing the game for the first time, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy this character.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    Interesting question. There's really no way to start completely anew, is there.

IMO having an inkling what's ahead helps the game. It's so huge! First time I played, it took like three days to get through Irenicus' dungeon. Then we were dumped into the promenade (where are we??). It was epic and sweeping, certainly, but also a tad overwhelming.

With a bit of foreknowledge in hand, one is free to roleplay all the classes & alignments. Good grief, I think it takes at least a couple runs just to understand the spell system.

As for being totally surprised, well.. that's what new games (and new content to old games) are for :)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You know what, I always have the spell "clairvonance" memorized, even though I know how an area actually is. The feeling of "hey, I'm a cool diviner who can see through the whole area" is just priceless.