Skip to content

Dunno if this is a bug or not but....my blackguard became a paladin

VeissVorraVeissVorra Member Posts: 24
My blackguard all of a sudden turned into a paladin and I have no idea how that happened. Now i lost access to all of my skills and i'm just a gimped fighter now.......

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Are you running any mods?
  • VeissVorraVeissVorra Member Posts: 24
    i'm using the happy patch mod and lower reputation = better prices mods. Other than that nope. I used EEKeeper once a few days ago also.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @VeissVorra, which version of Keeper did you use? The earlier versions, much like Shadow Keeper, didn't detect Blackguards as a kit.
    I'm using v1.0.2.4 and Blackguard is in there so i dunno if my client was a problem or not. It's weird cause my character has been playing just fine for the past 2 days since i used EEkeeper to change a proficiency point.

Now all of a sudden after finally figuring out Durlag's tower i went to the lighthouse area and when I went to a temple and rested, I realized my innate skills weren't coming back for my blackguard. Then i checked my status screen and sure enough for some reason i'm a Paladin.

Maybe it had something to do with using the helmet of alignment or something.....?
    edited June 2014

Maybe it had something to do with using the helmet of alignment or something.....?

I just tried it now and using the helm didn't change my status from being a blackguard. Even after leveling up.

Edit: But the moment I used poison weapon and attacked someone to the point where my reputation dropped it did. Interesting.

So basically I think it was the helmet. I'm guessing you must have started with very low reputation so the moment you put it on it acted as though you were a paladin that had fallen.
    i'm really stumped how it could of occurred then. This problem really killed my buzz for continuing haha.
    edited June 2014
    What was your reputation approximately at the time when you noticed this issue?

Did you at any point use the helm of alignment on the character?
    my reputation was at 1 and i used the helm of alignment just to see what it looked like. After that I went to the temple and paid the 500g to remove it.
    Yep so what happened was basically likely this.

You put on the helm of alignment. Due to the fact that your reputation was below the normal threshold for any other paladin to fall (which I believe is a reputation of 8) for some reason the game treated your character as though it had fallen. Except that rather than making you a fallen paladin it just made you a normal paladin instead.
    Troodon80CrevsDaak
    Well according to EEkeeper it did make me a fallen paladin since I wanted to see what was wrong with my file. Guess that's what I get for being curious about how it would look on me haha. So i'm guessing the only way I can fix this is by getting rep 8+ and using the helm again?
    edited June 2014
    @Dee @Tresset (figured I'd get other people's thoughts on this) I'm assuming this is a bug. I mean the helm of opposite alignment as far as I know doesn't normally strip you of your paladin status.
    Troodon80CrevsDaak
    edited June 2014
    @elminster, you are correct, it is the helmet. Find the attached save game. :-)

It looks like the kit loss is governed by alignment? If the character is evil, then there is no kit loss, but if the character becomes anything but evil and the reputation drops to 6 (if higher than 6 at the time of equipping the helmet) or less, the character will then lose the Blackguard kit. Interestingly, they will become a Fallen Paladin but it will not be shown in the character record screen as such.
    elminster
    edited June 2014
    Alternatively, just create a Blackguard and edit it in Keeper so that the Fallen flag is set. It has nothing to do with the Helmet as such, that's a means to Fall but does not make you Fall—it's the lack of reputation that does that. It's to do with the fact that there is no 'Fallen Blackguard.' It is referenced in the TLK (32307), but apparently it is not used?
    So the first class i decide to play when i get to finally play this game has a weird problem like that? talk about bad luck.
    Troodon80
    edited June 2014

Well according to EEkeeper it did make me a fallen paladin since I wanted to see what was wrong with my file. Guess that's what I get for being curious about how it would look on me haha. So i'm guessing the only way I can fix this is by getting rep 8+ and using the helm again?

I don't think so. I think the only way is to just remove the Fallen flag in Keeper.

elminster
    edited June 2014
    @elminster‌, this looks like #5280 (or related to it).
    elminster
    How do I attach my save here? I did what you said and it says i'm a Blackguard, but I still don't have my innate skills and my negative plane protection isn't there anymore.
    Troodon80
    You need to use WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-Zip, or if you are using something other than Windows, then whatever that operating system has. Compress the folder, labelled with syntax that should appear something like '000000001-Quick-Save' (not just the SAV or GAM files), use the 'Attach a file' link just below the comment box here on the forum and navigate to your now-compressed saved game and select that.
    Hope i did this right.
    @VeissVorra, you can find your saved game attached, it should be fixed.

For future reference, this can be fixed by using the "Kit" assign buttons on both the Innate tab and Effects tab in Keeper (as of the latest version). It allows quick and easy assignment of kit-based abilities and effects. :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Sergio, it still needs a bit more refinement, but yes it will add bonus damage.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    To answer the question from earlier, it's not a bug, although it's not ideal certainly: good-aligned paladins fall at low reputation, and the blackguard is a paladin kit; so if your blackguard's alignment becomes good, and your reputation is low, you'll fall.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80‌ the Fallen Blackguard TLK entry is used
    in BG2:EE, if Dorn kills both Patrons, he's made a Fallen Blackguard.
    Thanks for helping guys. =)
    CrevsDaak
    @Dee, the issue here appears to be that when a Blackguard falls, he or she becomes a straightforward Paladin according to the Inventory and Character Record screens—but becoming a Paladin is in name only, the Fallen Blackguard loses all their innate abilities. The bug is that the character record and inventory screen should show 'Fallen Blackguard' instead of 'Paladin'. Like this:

imageimage

I realised that the reason is because there is no entry for the fallen version of the blackguard.

Easily remedied by adding the required strings to the TLK and adding this line to classtxt.2DA:

FALLEN_BLACKGUARD 6 32 32302 28606 32303 31492 1 31256

Since the open beta already contains the 'fallen blackguard' and 'Fallen Blackguard' text strings, just replace the 32302 and 32303 with the correct ones. :-)
    SethDaviselminster
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    I've reported this as issue 8847 in the bugtracker.
    CrevsDaakelminsterTroodon80