Skip to content

Game Crashes Before Even Loading

MaSQueMaSQue Member Posts: 11
I just purchased BG EE from Steam and installed it. After the Install I click on the game to load it up, the game never loads up it just throws up a error box that states ....

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has stopped working.
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

then it gives to options
Check for an online solution and close the program
or
Close the program

.............. it does this every time. Whats going on with this?

I run Win7 and have a super high end machine, there should be no problems with my machine not being big enough to run it and all I did was install the game off of Steam.

Comments

• MaSQueMaSQue Member Posts: 11
    oh and when I check for a solution it will start searching, then the box closes and no web browser opens with possible fixes.
    anyone?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80‌ or @Gate70‌ could do better than me, since I don't know much about Win.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    More information on your system is required. What hardware are you running and what version of drivers/software are you using? Is it a laptop with dual graphics, Intel integrated and ATI/nVidia, or is it a desktop?

Is OpenAL installed? Steam should take care of those requirements, but one can never be certain.
    Ran a DXdiag - Not sure if you need any more information than this so if so let me know. This system is a desktop. I assume OpenAL is installed, I DL'd the game from Steam and I think it comes in the DL. Drivers are up to date also.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: H55M-UD2H
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8156MB RAM
    Page File: 3373MB used, 12935MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1183&SUBSYS_841F1043&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 4042 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
    Shared Memory: 2047 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: LONTIUM
    Monitor Id: LTM0000
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Have you shut down your PC after installing and restarted it - a few people seem to have had similar issues and found that helps.
    yea, does same thing
    this is the error the box gives me

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: BGEE.exe
    Application Version: 0.1.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 527185d6
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18409
    Fault Module Timestamp: 53159a86
    Exception Code: e06d7363
    Exception Offset: 0000c42d
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 65a9
    Additional Information 2: 65a95709135fe39e0dcba9328019d4db
    Additional Information 3: 0aa4
    Additional Information 4: 0aa445e2dd5f61555f9b8f3e0e89c29e

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    @MaSQue, it looks like it might be DEP. Data Execution Prevention.
    To configure DEP settings
    • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    • Click the Advanced tab. Then, under Performance, click Settings.
    • Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    • Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy.
    • Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy.
    • If you selected the OptOut policy, click Add and add the applications that you do not want to use DEP with.
    You will need to navigate to the location of the game executable and add that to the list of exceptions.
    I cannot for the life of me find where Steam installs there games to.
    I progressed to the end of your instructions but I have no clue where BG is installed and I have searched my PC from top to bottom. I even went into properties on Baldurs Gate to find location. The location it gives is not to be found. I think I wasted my money on this sadly enough.
    In the Steam library, right click the game title and select Properties, then select the Local Files tab, then click on the Browse Local Files... button. That should bring you right to the game executable.
    I was finally able to get to that and when I clicked on BG Enhanced it throws up a pop up box that says -

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition
    No Such Interface Supported
    does this last post mean anything? Anyone have any idea why I get that message?
    edited July 2014
    There is mention of OpenAL here, sounds like a similar effect.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30968/game-will-not-launch-all-of-a-sudden-steam

This one mentions a possible location.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17647/copy-steam-version-to-dvd

Or possibly this one, although the details seem a bit strange to me.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17453/steam-bg-ee-crashes-immediatly-no-startup-no-nothing

edit, & for Windows 8 opening Control Panel > Programs shows OpenAL is installed. I assume similar for Windows 7.

edit2, & this link indicates "no such interface supported" can be due to lack of OpenAL.
    https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/issues/2620
    That's usually a problem with a library (DLL) on the system. If you haven't already, then try adding the game executable as a DEP exception using the steps above and select the 'BGEE.exe' executable. Then try launching it again from within Steam.

This could just be an issue with a component such as OpenAL (you can download it here, extract it, and then install it), or it could be an issue with Steam/the Steam version.

It might be a silly question, but do you know if your Visual C++ Runtime package is up to date? To do that, go into the Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Features. In there, you should be able to find the something that looks like Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64/x86 Redistributable v10.0.40219. If you have 2008 and 2010 then you should be okay.

The only other suggestion would be to wait for the next update (which should be along 'soon', there's positive movement but I don't have any sort of time) and see if the problem persists. If it does, you may need to contact Steam since the executables for the Steam and Beamdog versions are not the same.
    is there a site that downloads the enhanced edition thats NOT associated with the Steam client? Maybe I can install it as a stand alone and run it as a normal game and yes my C++ is current. OpenAL is good also. Gonna continue to research for a fix.
    edited July 2014
    Yes, but if you bought through Steam you can only download through Steam (unless you purchase a second copy through Beamdog).

I guess it's unlikely but is sound enabled. If I disable my speakers and headset the game screen goes black on startup and when I try to do anything it pops up "...has stopped working..."
    yea sound is on