Skip to content

What's your favorite season?

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
I don't imagine this will lend itself to much discussion, but I'm interested in the results. Since we live all over the world, I made the options for cold and hot available also, so if you like summer in Alaska it's different than liking summer in Ecuador. Just think of cold and hot as a shorthand for up by the poles and hot as down by the equator. Here, I'll make this more exact:

If your daily high temp is routinely above the number for the season then you're hot. If you're routinely below, then your cold.

Summer: 90F/35C

Autumn: 55F/12C

Winter: 20F/-6C

Spring: 65F/18C
  1. What's your favorite season?37 votes
    1. Cold winter
      16.22%
    2. Hot winter
        0.00%
    3. Cold spring
        8.11%
    4. Hot spring
        5.41%
    5. Hot summer
      13.51%
    6. Cold summer
        8.11%
    7. Hot autumn
      13.51%
    8. Cold autumn
      35.14%

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    You live in Washington, @Nonnahswriter‌?! Lucky. We moved from Seattle when I was 4, to this hot, flat, Midwestern, Dystopia *wonderful city*. I would love to live back there, I like the rain, and mountains. We are big hikers(which probably sound funny to you. Everybody up there is. Down here it's... Not *that* unusual to like camping:P)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    meagloth said:

You live in Washington, @Nonnahswriter‌?! Lucky. We moved from Seattle when I was 4, to this hot, flat, Midwestern, Dystopia *wonderful city*. I would love to live back there, I like the rain, and mountains. We are big hikers(which probably sound funny to you. Everybody up there is. Down here it's... Not *that* unusual to like camping:P)

Yup. :D I live about an hour outside of Seattle. (An hour on a good day, when the traffic isn't horrid...) I love it here--got the mountains, the ocean, and the forest, all in the same spot! But I've got family who live in Texas and Arizona, and it's a serious climate shock whenever we visit them. I don't know how people can live in the south/midwest. Sooooo hoooooot and dryyyyy... ;_; It only hit mid-80s here yesterday, and we were dying.

The only downside is the humidity. It's usually pretty tame up here as far as summers go, but if it rains while it's hot (like it did just a few days ago), oh gods, is it miserable. Places like Arizona and Texas at least have a dry heat, so it's not as muggy when it hits eighties. Course, they also get over the hundreds more often than we do, so I wouldn't think of trading climates any time soon. XD

Oh. And the rain. I forget, some people don't like the rain. :P
    I always think it's funny when people complain about 110F in Arizona or Texas. The humidity is like 5%, so it's really not that bad. Here the humidity is usually height than the temp, and the temp is usually 90(e.i. Yesterday. Today it's weirdly nice) it's terrible.
    And the bugs.. Do you have many Mosquitos, @Nonnahswriter‌? They're terrible here. Colorado is awesome cause the little buggers are all but nonexistent, it's so dry. It's amazing to us because we can't even sit outside in the evening. You get 1-3 bites every two minutes or so after 5:00. No exaggeration.
    edited July 2014
    I also agree with all of @Silverstar‌ reasons for liking winter, along with being able to wear wither coats. I hate having to wear shorts and t-shirts. So... Few... Pockets. In the winter I get to dress like this:
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I once had the pleasure of visiting the northern parts of Greenland in early Winter. T'was such a lovely blizzard weather with temperatures below -25° Celsius... A dream come true for Winter lovers like me who have a healthy obsession with Auril. Truly, I wouldn't mind to have such low temperatures all year around. :-D
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    edited July 2014
    The smell of wood smoke in the air and those perfect sunny days with a nice cool breeze :-) I agree with @Nonnahswriter about the excuse to cocoon yourself in blankets.

I lived in Seattle for 5 years and I really miss it. The perfect weather for me all year round.

Oops how did I forget football. That also makes Autumn great.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    Polar bears are better suited for the cold ^_^
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    meagloth said:

I always think it's funny when people complain about 110F in Arizona or Texas. The humidity is like 5%, so it's really not that bad. Here the humidity is usually height than the temp, and the temp is usually 90(e.i. Yesterday. Today it's weirdly nice) it's terrible.
    And the bugs.. Do you have many Mosquitos, @Nonnahswriter‌? They're terrible here. Colorado is awesome cause the little buggers are all but nonexistent, it's so dry. It's amazing to us because we can't even sit outside in the evening. You get 1-3 bites every two minutes or so after 5:00. No exaggeration.

Oh yes. DX I hate mosquitoes. They're really not that bad in the summer time, especially down here in town, but when I lived up in the mountains on national forest land, they were horrendous! Every time we wanted to have a barbeque outside, they'd chase us back in the house!

The worst experience I've had with mosquitoes though was in Montana during the summer. We stayed in a campground nestled on a lake, and while there weren't any bugs on the lake shore, they swarmed us at camp. Aggressive buggers too. We're normally a really environment-friendly family, but we had no shame spraying ourselves with deet-based insect spray, because nothing else even came close to working. I was covered in bites by the time we left.

Remember: the best way to ruin a mosquito's love-life is to disturb still-water! >:D
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    CaloNord said:

When you do throw yourself into the ocean you get attacked by sharks and jellyfish because the ocean is full of things that hate you.

It seems like a wonderful place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdihHnaOQsk
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited July 2014
    Forever Fall for me :D
    As @deltago‌ says, jacket weather. Not too hot, but not too cold either.
    I find it the most beautiful time of the year.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Oh it's a wonderful place, if you own air conditioning or a pool. I won't go in the ocean. I don't mess with sharks, they don't mess with me.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I live in the broiling heat of Georgia. I despise it. Born and raised here, yet I can't wait to get away. I love the cold, but I love autumn even more than winter. I think due in part to the fact I was born in the fall. It also has the most beautiful colors, many of which are among my favorite colors. Spring is alright. Screw summer.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    You know, we have nearly 9 months of "winterospring" in my city. Dark sky, cold weather, grey buildings, nearly no sun during 3/4 of the year.

So I would gladly take the hot summer. Beach, sea, breeze, holiday...
    Elrandir said:

I think due in part to the fact I was born in the fall. It also has the most beautiful colors, many of which are among my favorite colors. Spring is alright. Screw summer.

Hey, same here! As a little kid I really liked that my birthday was on the equinox, or "first day of fall", as I put it, my favorite season. As a little kid I don't know which came first. Now as a big kid I really love that I share a birthday with Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. I don't know how it could be better than that. I'm just about done with summer by now.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Damn, I voted without thinking. I actually don't like summer because it gets light out too early. I like temperatures of anywhere between 10-20 degrees C though.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    edited July 2014
    Cold Autumn and cold Winter, it seems this forum is populated by frost giants.

Difficult for me to decide between the two. I love a crisp cool autumn. You can sit inside while the rain batters against the windows, or journey out into the elements where it feels like you're attacked by nature from all sides.

I also love when the weather gets so cold you can barely breath. It's invigorating.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2014
    Hot summer. I am deeply in love with the sea, its life and its denizens (in water). Also, i love it how girls are "forced" to wear almost nothing at all, wander in nosebleeding, intended or not, poses/lucky moments, etc. I am very fond of seasonal fruit, such as peach, melon and watermelon, and i enjoy them cold and finely chopped, in a fruit-salad. I love tourists, especially girls, that visit. They are a spicy new out of the ordinary life here, and always nice to get yourself something lucky and hot out of it all. Last but not least, i love hedgehogs. Yes, *that* poor little beast that wanders at night in your garden, and are active only at hot months. I clean them, pet them, feed them, cuddle them and play at my heart's content!
    Hmm. No love for arctic spring, huh?
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @meagloth‌ It's like the worst parts of winter, without any of the good parts of fall.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @meagloth, we have the same birthday :D
    As a Dutchman who has lived near the equator in recent years, I've come to appreciate all seasons really. I used to hate winter back in NL: the short days (sun up at 9 AM, sun down at 4.30 PM) used to be pretty depressing for me, especially in later years when I worked and had little to no time to enjoy the light of day. However, two years ago I really digged the snow, well not literally, and the cold during a brief visit to NL in December-January.
    Here in Colombia, there aren't any seasons. Climate depends mostly on the altitude of a place, varying from tropical (lowlands such as the coasts, amazon, plains) to subtropical (800-1200m, places like Cali), to moderate (Bogota, the paramos) or even colder. It's a beautiful country really, incredibly diverse.

In Holland I loved warm springs. Days becoming longer, new life everywhere you look, no longer dependent on gloves and 3+ layers of clothes, and happy people...
    I think it's a beautiful bird.
    @Blackraven‌ it seems to be a pretty common birthday. I share it with my aunt, and my grandma is the 23rd. I think one other relative is 22 as well. Great minds....um, are born alike?