Skip to content

Mods you wouldn't go without - Tell people about your favorite BG I mods!

2»

Comments

• ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    Khalid and Jaheira ugh.... Now the truly good part of BG1 NPC project is Shar-teel, Viconia and Kagain. Evil parties with that mod are hilarious.
    jackjackrevanbh
  • DomiDomi Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the votes of confidence in the BG1NPC and all the luck & patience to @LiamEsler to get it ported. It was and it remains a child that was raised by the BG fan village :)
    ShinStradlinStoneSwordsBlucher
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

Sword Coast Stratagems, by DavidW.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

It changes enemy spell casters from lobotomized cretins to legitimate challenges, depending on how many components you install. Not only that, but it also makes other types of hostiles *much* smarter and more potent than before (dragons, beholders, vampires, mindflayers, etc.). It does all this through scripts, enforcing the same rules on hostiles that apply to the player's own party. Also, unlike other mods, it doesn't cheat by showering enemies with godlike stats, abilities, and resistances.

If all that wasn't enough, then the chance to take on the whole of Ust Natha would be reason enough to install the mod (unlike in vanilla SoA, the SCS-buffed Ust Natha features respawning waves of ever more powerful dark elves and their retainers). Though the improved drow city is only a tiny sub-component of SCS, it has made my game all the more interesting because it poses an incredibly fun challenge - one that's hard to pass up.

Here's a YouTube vid of a guy fighting through the improved Ust Natha:

Overall, I'd rate SCS 9/10... the -1 is due to it spoiling me! :P

I can't play BG2 anymore without SCS installed on it.

those this exist also for bg2?
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited January 2014
    SCS
    And it works quite well with EE. @EnterHaerDalis
    Nothing is "bugless" in BGEE - including vanilla BGEE (seriously, I have a long list developing - all vanilla).
    But it works quite well and (I think) makes the experience much more fun -- but I like roleplaying & danger when I play. Having enemies use "cheese" creates fun little puzzles and a LOT of tension if you're a no/minimal reloader. :)

Metal Armor susceptible to iron plague mod - from "BGII Tweaks" (which works with BGEE, despite the name)
    Really minor, but I like it - especially with the SCS option to make all +1 weapons "fine" non-magical weapons.

EEKeeper & Near Infinity - not technically a mod, but I would have fun enjoying the game at this point if I couldn't (a) fix bugs I find in vanilla (b) muck with things to make PnP appopriate character concepts fit. (My current character started life as a "Riddlemaster" and quickly turned martial as life forced itself upon him :)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Stradlin said:

Finch NPC
    There are at least half a dozen Tutu exclusive mods out there which originally were designed to complement and suplement BG1 NPC Project. Finch NPC is one of them!

I'll second that notion. When I was playing BG1TUTU, Finch was a must have in my party. As you mention, she was exceptionally well done, and was a definite bonus to my party. Unfortunately, I have my heart set on playing a Cleric/Ranger multi-class so I don't really need her in my EE run through. I'd certainly like to see her updated with EE in mind though, for any future runs.

Fafnir
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    I'll third the Finch praise and also suggest Indira - a LG 1/2 elf fighter/mage. She is a very useful character with well done dialogue and excellent voice acting. And she has some great interactions with Finch if you take them both.
    FafnirCrevsDaak
  • maximilian87maximilian87 Member Posts: 3
    hello, fairly simple question i guess, to what destination/directory should i extract mods in general?
  • GolmarGolmar Member Posts: 5
    generally, if its a WIEDU mod, then extract to the same directory as the "CHITIN.KEY" file. otherwise you may need to drop it in the "override" file (same directory, create it if is not already there)

but always check the mod's directions to be sure :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so I have a confession:
    I've never modded BG1. I'm worried I won't be able to import my character into BG2 if I do - is there any validity to this?
    The mods I have added to BG2 greatly enhance the experience for me, so would likely similarly enjoy doing the same with BG1.
    Are there any mods in particular that might introduce compatibility issues?
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I can think of no BG1 mod that alters your character in a way that makes them unimportable to BG2. A mod that does that would likely be say, a mod that adds spells to your character and then doesn't have those spells in BG2... and even then, I think your character would still import, just without those spells (don't quote me, though). So I would avoid adding-spell mods unless you're also planning on using that adding-spell mod to BG2.

Other then that, go free and go wild.
    jackjackFafnir
  • joeblowjoeblow Member Posts: 8
    First time poster and recent purchaser of both BG titles that I plan to play through for the first time. I have a few questions from you mod fans before I start my run (after the 1.3 patch releases of course)....

For one, I am 99% sure I will play each title once. That's been my pattern for past adventure games I've beaten (Dragons Age: Origins, Skyrim, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, etc.). However, in each of those titles I played them a year or two after release and took advantage of modding them up for my only play through. Because I absolutely LOVED those titles after modding them, I want to do the same for BG:EE and later, the sequel.

I already did some research and know I want a Cavalier Paladin for role playing reasons. I like a decent challenge, so I plan to play core difficulty using the SCS mod (with the trick to briefly dial the difficulty down when leveling up and scribing stuff). What I want to know is:

- Should I use the BG1 NPC Project for my game if I want the most entertaining experience, or is it more important to use the core characters in my party so the story stays on point?

- I am considering some convenience mods, like the locks and traps one just so I am not forced to take a thief for the sole purpose of dealing with those. Am I making to big of a deal about that? Will I miss an important story development with no thieves (minimal-to-no-spoilers please)?

- I'm also considering the GUI mod (uses BG2:EE GUI), and if someone has a suggestion for a first play through, I'm happy to listen.

Thanks!
    Ravenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    The BGI NPC Project is one I would personally recommend if you like your party members to feel more alive and interactive with your PC. It doesn’t add new characters to the game, it enhances the ones already there. Without it the NPCs are fairly quiet. I consider the traps and locks you must overcome a part of my role playing experience, but some find them a nuisance. It depends on how you feel about such things.
    [Deleted User]WillyML4
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    SCS
    Rogue Rebalancing
    NPC Banter pack! I hate travelling in silence!

That's all I run with! :) I love it that way. Don't really use anything else but I have tested a few other combinations over the months, but I like KISS. Keep it simple stupid.
    edited July 2014
    I looked at Rogue Rebalancing, but that's a BG2 mod, right? Same with the Banter Pack... the thread title says BG1 EE mods only.

The BGI NPC Project is one I would personally recommend if you like your party members to feel more alive and interactive with your PC. It doesn’t add new characters to the game, it enhances the ones already there. Without it the NPCs are fairly quiet. I consider the traps and locks you must overcome a part of my role playing experience, but some find them a nuisance. It depends on how you feel about such things.

I don't have a problem with locks or traps, but I don't want to waste a party slot for a character whose primary purpose is to take care of those things. That's what I've been reading about thieves in this game.

Thanks for clarifying the NPC pack's setup. I guess it is a must have.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Rogue Rebalancing works for both BG1 and BG2. A lot of mods are doing that, these days: for Baldur's Gate II, you want SCS, not SCS2, and likewise for BG1 (or IWD, for that matter), you want BG2 Tweaks, not BG1 Tweaks (if you can still find it anywhere).
    CrevsDaak
    Now that is confusing, thanks.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Finch has been mentioned, and while I'm still desperately pining for her EE port, I feel a shoutout must be given to 2 related-ish mods.

First is Indira, a Half-Elven Fighter/Mage, Lawful Good. She's fairly cheerful and has banters with everyone, but feels like she fits into the mold of the first game.

Next is Murneth. He's very different than your typical character. Ya see, Murneth is a slime creature, a Ghaunadite, given humanoid shape by Ghaunadar, an evil god. Yes, he's an Evil Thief, and he's currently EE playable.

Both of these characters can be used alongside Finch AND WILL BANTER WITH HER AND EACH OTHER!

To me, they are the perfect trinity of TuTu NPCs and three of the best mod NPCs in the saga itself. Please, someone, get Finch and Indira in soon. I'll love you forever!
    Stradlin
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    This is all awesome news!! Thanks a lot for putting the work in!!, is much appreciated. I'd love to help out a tiny bit by beta testing..but somehow I'm pretty sure you would not appreciate the..acticity my current schedule allows.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Is it weird I wouldn't go without a mod I made? o.O
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    CaloNord said:

Is it weird I wouldn't go without a mod I made? o.O

No, I don't think it's weird. If I made a NPC mod, I wouldn't use it, since I don't use NPCs.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited July 2014
    Stradlin said:

This is all awesome news!! Thanks a lot for putting the work in!!, is much appreciated. I'd love to help out a tiny bit by beta testing..but somehow I'm pretty sure you would not appreciate the..acticity my current schedule allows.

@Stradlin feel free to try the mod at your convenience and just play as usual. The BETA status is a precaution, but AFAIK it should work fine (or at lest I'm not expecting any major bugs).
    Stradlin
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    edited August 2014
    @Stradlin maybe you should add the BG1NPC link to the available version for the EE, true it a sticky so it easy to find but I feel it lacking from the opening post http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32379/bg1npc-for-bgee-prerelease/p1 @AstroBryGuy works hard on this mod and for that I thanks him!
    Post edited by kaguana on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Unfinished Business. Period. It's though for me to think that I've paid for an enhanced crippled game. I kinda feel like I've been robbed.