Skip to content

Dwarf Fighter Help! (Stat Rolls)

I have just bought the BG:EE from Steam I played this game many many years ago, I loved it! Now I am starting a new character to kick off getting this game again. My question is what is the highest stat roll I can obtain legitimately so far I have a roll of 85 with 18/97 STR! I'm wondering if I can roll a few more points and try my luck.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Alistar2013Alistar2013 Member Posts: 44
    Scratch that roll of 88 with 18/95 STR! :D
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    An 88 roll with 18/95 exceptional STR is really good on a Fighter since they only really benefit from maxing STR, DEX and CON. Good scores in the other stats are nice bonuses but don't really alter your character's prowess as a Fighter.
    The maximum roll would be 18-17-19-18-18-16 on a Dwarf in BGEE I believe. This is 106 roll. But you might be rolling for the rest of of your life before you obtain that score, and as I said, there's really no need to.
    Thank you sir! Where would I find this information if I wanted to look it up for another character later on?
    Just had a thought. So does that mean I could roll max stats for all characters legit?
    ahhhh so many questions! So with my extra points which should I invest more into other than STR, DEX and CON?
    edited May 2014
    You're welcome sir ;)

Well you can see the maximum stats for a character you create at the Ability Score screen at character creation, by clicking on each ability (there it will say your minimum and your maximum score).

As to which stats to prioritize for which class (or multiclass), the manual gives some information. But it's not that difficult to understand really. Warrior types benefit the most from high scores in the first three stats: STR, DEX and CON, which are the three physical stats. For Thieves and Monks it's the same, because like Warriors these classes don't cast spells so they don't need high mental stats (although high INT/WIS is nice for Lore, and high CHA for shop prices). STR and DEX should be priorities; CON needn't be higher than 15-16 for these two classes. The other classes are casters: either divine casters (Cleric, Druid) which calls for high WIS, or arcane casters (Mage, Bard), which calls for high INT. The caster classes benefit from reasonably good physical stats (carrying capacity, ability to hit, dodging, hit point rolls), but they don't rely on them as much as Warriors and Thieves and Monks do. The odd class out is the Sorcerer who's a caster that doesn't need high WIS or INT, so you could be more generous with the physical stats and with CHA when you play one.

If you're playing a Warrior/Caster or Thief/Caster multiclass you'll have to combine the recommended stats of both individual classes.

ahhhh so many questions! So with my extra points which should I invest more into other than STR, DEX and CON?

With an 88 roll on a Dwarven Fighter, my statpoint distibution would probably look something like this.

STR: 18/95 (= max)
    DEX: 17(= max)
    CON: 19 (= max)
    INT: 15
    WIS: 8
    CHA: 10

However, as I said, with the non-physical stas it doesn't matter much how you dsitribute them. I wouldn't go lower than 9 with your INT, so that you could use certain items that have a minimum requirement of 9 INT. High INT will also protect you against a specific type of enemy in BG2. I like my characters to be reasonably intelligent anyway and moderately charismatic.
    Thanks again dude! =D
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    An 84 roll with decent /xx Str is completely adequate for any fighter, thief, monk or barbarian, as @Blackraven has said. Max Str, Dex and Con and anything else is gravy (unless you're a human and plan on dual classing).

High rolls only become necessary with MAD (multiple attribute dependent) classes like Fighter/Mages, Fighter/Clerics, Paladins and so on. In many of these cases (especially Paladins and Elven Rangers) you actually get high minimums for many stats, making high rolls easy. IIRC Dwarf Fighters are one of the hardest class/race combos to roll high on.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    It can be handy to have a very high charisma as it makes a big difference to the prices in the various shops. I've given a fighters "spare points" to Charisma just for that purpose.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    kiwidoc said:

It can be handy to have a very high charisma as it makes a big difference to the prices in the various shops. I've given a fighters "spare points" to Charisma just for that purpose.

You can also just shift a "face" NPC into the #1 slot when shopping. Imoen is great for that.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

kiwidoc said:

You can also just shift a "face" NPC into the #1 slot when shopping. Imoen is great for that.
    But still, to have a charming PC is never excessive. It's good from a RP point of view. So, it's completely up to the player. The same can be said about INT and WIS for characters who don't need those attributes - I tend to think that characters with 3-5-6 in those attributes feel strange.

That's why I fully agreed with @Blackraven‌ 's distribution of stats.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Bards also benefit from high scores, since their minimum dex, int and charisma are already average.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    18/00 with a half-decent roll is going to make the low levels MUCH easier, but if you've played through a few times, you can play less min-maxed characters, which will be a different experience. Dwarves really benefit from a high cons stat, and good mental stats will make the unnatural feeling metagaming most people do feel less abusive. 18 int or wis is truly profound remember, so your character could figure out some pretty metagaming stuff no normal person can ever guess. I like high stats for solo characters, but if you have backup, tactics are extremely powerful.

Dwarven fighters have low minimums, so an +85 is a great roll. Less great with an elven ranger or Paladin, as noted. The hardest build to roll up imo is Fighter to Druid DC. Wis and cha both need 17 to dual, which makes getting decent str harder. You'd likely just go for highest total.