Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Fighter/Mage multi-class : hit-points

Luke93Luke93 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,265
edited July 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
I'm currently Fighter 9 & Mage 11. When I level up as a Fighter, I receive 1 HP instead of 3 HPs!!!!!
Also, when I reached level 9 as a Fighter & level 10 as a Mage, I received the wrong amount of HPs ( don't remember exactly how it was wrong, but I was pretty sure it was incorrect)!
Is it possible? Any confirmation ?

Comments

  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,608
    Sounds like it is working correctly?

    A single class fighter would get +3hp from level 9 to 10. A multiclass should get +1.5hp because they are only 50% fighter. The game does this by alternating 1's and 2's so 1 at level 10/12/14 and 2 at level 11/13/15 etc.

    A single class fighter should have a higher hit point potential than a multiclass fighter of the same level. e.g. a level 1 fighter will have 10hp with standard constitution whereas a fighter 1/mage 1 will have something like 7hp (half of fighters 10 and half of mages 4).

  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Actually, HP increases are always rounded down (except for bonus HP from CON, and in cases where rounding down would result in zero), so levelling up as a fighter after level 9 will always grant +1 HP.

    There does seem to be something wierd when you hit F/M level 9/10 though, at least when you have a CON bonus. I have a F/M level 8/8 with 18 CON. I level up to mage level 9 and get 4 HP. This corresponds to a mages hit die divided by 2 plus my CON bonus divided by 2, so this checks out. I then level up to F/M level 9/10. I should get 5 HP from fighter, 2 HP from mage, and 4 HP from CON, for a total of 11. Instead I get 9.

    I think this stems from the fact that mages get CON bonus for the first 10 levels, while fighters only get CON bonus for the first 9 levels. It looks like the game is deciding that a mage only gets CON bonus for the first 9 levels in the case of a F/M. No clue if this is intended behaviour.

  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 2,728
    The hit point table for fighter/mage is hpfm.2da; mine says "sides" up to level 9 is 7 then a modifier of 2 after that. Given an 18 con the mage side gets a bonus of 2 while the fighter side gets a bonus of 4, with all numbers being divided by 2. So...at 8/8 you level up to 8/9 (gain a mage level) and you get int(7/2)+(2/2) = 4 hit points. Leveling up to 9/10 would gain you int(7/2) (the fighter level) + (4/2) (fighter con bonus) + (2/2) (the mage level but level 10 on the hp table gives only a flat increase) + (2/2) (the mage con bonus) = 7. I presume the extra 2 hp come from the alternating calculation Gate70 mentions.

    Note also that my hpfm.2da table may not be the same as yours--I "corrected" mine to be what it should be, (10 + 4)/2 per level up to 9th.

  • Luke93Luke93 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,265
    edited July 2014
    TJ_Hooker said:

    Actually, HP increases are always rounded down (except for bonus HP from CON, and in cases where rounding down would result in zero), so levelling up as a fighter after level 9 will always grant +1 HP.

    There does seem to be something wierd when you hit F/M level 9/10 though, at least when you have a CON bonus. I have a F/M level 8/8 with 18 CON. I level up to mage level 9 and get 4 HP. This corresponds to a mages hit die divided by 2 plus my CON bonus divided by 2, so this checks out. I then level up to F/M level 9/10. I should get 5 HP from fighter, 2 HP from mage, and 4 HP from CON, for a total of 11. Instead I get 9.

    I think this stems from the fact that mages get CON bonus for the first 10 levels, while fighters only get CON bonus for the first 9 levels. It looks like the game is deciding that a mage only gets CON bonus for the first 9 levels in the case of a F/M. No clue if this is intended behaviour.

    That's exactly what happened to me when I hit F/M level 9/10! As far as I can recall, I received 9 HPs ( with my character having 18 CON)

    TJ_Hooker
  • Luke93Luke93 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,265
    Gate70 said:

    Sounds like it is working correctly?

    A single class fighter would get +3hp from level 9 to 10. A multiclass should get +1.5hp because they are only 50% fighter. The game does this by alternating 1's and 2's so 1 at level 10/12/14 and 2 at level 11/13/15 etc.

    A single class fighter should have a higher hit point potential than a multiclass fighter of the same level. e.g. a level 1 fighter will have 10hp with standard constitution whereas a fighter 1/mage 1 will have something like 7hp (half of fighters 10 and half of mages 4).

    If what you say is correct, why does Jan Jansen receive 2 HPs when he levels up as a Thief ? He's a multi-class too, so he should receive only 1 HP...

  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,608
    edited July 2014
    I stand corrected about the 1/2/1/2 sequence, looks like it works as @TJ_Hooker‌ says.

    What levels did Jan go from and to?
    (edit: looks like Jan is set as a mage-thief which uses hpwiz table. Should be 1hp per level but if you are talking about him going from 9/10 to 9/11 it probably is allowing a roll or CON bonus instead of a fixed point because his mage level hasn't reached 10)

    Post edited by Gate70 on
  • Luke93Luke93 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,265
    Gate70 said:

    I stand corrected about the 1/2/1/2 sequence, looks like it works as @TJ_Hooker‌ says.

    What levels did Jan go from and to?
    (edit: looks like Jan is set as a mage-thief which uses hpwiz table. Should be 1hp per level but if you are talking about him going from 9/10 to 9/11 it probably is allowing a roll or CON bonus instead of a fixed point because his mage level hasn't reached 10)

    It seems that he gets 2 HPs every time he levels up as a Thief....

  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,608
    At what levels though. I've just tried via the console and this is what I think is happening.

    Illusionist / Thief.
    9/9 43hp
    9/10 46hp (random roll + con?)
    9/11 48hp (random roll + con?)
    10/11 50hp (random roll + con?)
    11/11 51hp (1 mage)
    11/12 52hp (1 thief)
    11/13 53hp (1 thief)

Sign In or Register to comment.