Skip to content

Cat owners, is it normal...?

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Grrrr RRRrrr!! Can I eat Dynaheir now?
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    While I'm not certain if cats hunt bugs for food... But it's normal for them to hunt just about anything that they can.

And they don't really treat what they catch as trophies, they bring them in as food but fail to grasp the concept that most humans don't really like to eat half eaten rodents and birds...

And they are going to go hunt no matter how well they're fed and treated... It's just a part of their nature.

...And besides, cats wont eat anything they don't like or anything they know it's not healthy for them.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yes, animals are generally very good at judging what's edible and what's not.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Have you cat owners, ever found yourself before similar, disgusting shows?

As everyone else here has said, the behavior is 100% normal. In fact, it's actually strange for cats to not eat a bug and just leave a mangled corpse behind, or not even go after it in the first place.

My cats never leave the house, but they still put on the exact same exhibitions as you're describing when a bug finds its way into the house.

Keep in mind that cats don't distinguish between one type of edible thing being "nutritious" and another kind being "yucky" or "disgusting" the way way do.

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    With a cat in your garden and a gecko or two in your house you don't need to buy pesticides or insecticides - just a flamethrower for dealing with parktown prawns which are immune to any damage except fire.
    We can't have a cat in our apartment, so @JessicaKrystal‌ made me go to Toyworld today and buy a robotic one. It's bloody murderous. . .

But atleast it doesn't cr@p on my rugs. . .
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    dunbar said:

With a cat in your garden and a gecko or two in your house you don't need to buy pesticides or insecticides - just a flamethrower for dealing with parktown prawns which are immune to any damage except fire.

And then the cat eats the geckos ;)
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    The geckos live on the ceiling;)
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    In my opinion, it's not normal to own a cat.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Deefje said:

In my opinion, it's not normal to own a cat.

People don't own cats, cats give people the privilege of keeping them company when they feel like it.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2014
    I don't understand why people treat their cats like royalty, like it's an honor to feed a little furball that doesn't even care about you... A dog is always happy to see you, a cat will hiss or ignore you entirely. I've seen it time and time again with cat owners.

Here's a fact about cats... not for the faint hearted.
    A cat will eat your corpse within hours of you dying, or they'll abandon you entirely. I knew a woman who's cat just disappeared when she died. A dog will remain with you, and wont eat you until it's starving to death. This is truth, if you don't believe me research "Postmortem Predation" on google... and don't say I didn't warn you.
    edited July 2014
    @TheGraveDigger, what a lovely topic. In truth, I don't think I'm going to be in a position to care much about my corpse once I am dead.

Edit: also, your fact applies to dogs as well, and just about any carnivorous animal.
    I wont care when I'm dead, but it's just proof that cats don't care about their owners. And dogs only begin eating you when they become desperate... even a human would eat you if desperate enough. A cat will eat you almost straight away, so they can't be starving or anything... they just do it because they're evil! EVIL I TELL YOU!

I don't want to make this thread too grim or anything, so I'll shush.
    His name is well earned. @TheGraveDigger‌ brings forth the grim darkness. ;)
    Shall we start a new thread? Call it 'Gruesome Topic of the Day, with TheGraveDigger.'

*On Topic Hat* I've never owned a cat, I've always wanted one though. Where we live at the moment won't let us have one and we don't have enough room to have a dog at the moment either. Traditionally I'm a dog person but wouldn't mind having both. That way the dog can protect me from the cat when I shuffle off the mortal coil. :P
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Troodon80 said:

@TheGraveDigger, what a lovely topic. In truth, I don't think I'm going to be in a position to care much about my corpse once I am dead.

Edit: also, your fact applies to dogs as well, and just about any carnivorous animal.

Technically people as well. Chimpanzees(or was it gorillas...?) eat the remains of the rivals the take as well. And it's true that you cannot own a cat. They only tolerate you cause you pay for their food and water. Cats are not dissimilar to drow, actually. Lost of people seem to like them. (Though i don't know how well feline lust chambers would go over....)
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    meagloth said:

Troodon80 said:

(Though i don't know how well feline lust chambers would go over....)

Two words:
    Fur Affinity

Let me know how it goes.
    And take pictures!
    Loub said:

meagloth said:

Troodon80 said:

(Though i don't know how well feline lust chambers would go over....)

Two words:
    Fur Affinity

Let me know how it goes.
    And take pictures!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @TheGraveDigger‌ Cats and dogs care about their owners when they get fed. That is all. People who think their dog "loves and understands" them are misguided. I have had both animals as pets
  • NaturalBornKielerNaturalBornKieler Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 407
    I love my cat because she's so much like me. She has her own mind, sleeps late and is an overall lazy animal, and she's really able to relish the things she likes.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Everyone can feed a pet. But not everyone gets loved from, or cared from, their pets... Bonding is something different altogether from simply attending to basic needs (call me feeding, mostly). And this extends even to your average human as well. Deep inside, we still have many common patterns, behaviors, and instincts, with any little furball, than we like to think.

For some (shallow) people, (genuine) love is simply an illusion or a fabricated legend (be it towards other human, or other being). But there are some who actually are able to feel that much, and bond that strongly/deeply. Same applies to (pets) animals. There are cats and dogs, that when their owner dies, they stop eating until they die, too. Where someone found about eating corpses? It is certainly the first time i hear of this. Maybe those eaten after death owners, did not treat their cats and dogs as well as they should, while living, perchance? Or maybe, someone of japanese origin around these parts, trying to initiate us in rich and complex folklore (bakeneko, the monster cat with the forked in two tail)?

@TheGraveDigger‌ Cats and dogs care about their owners when they get fed. That is all. People who think their dog "loves and understands" them are misguided. I have had both animals as pets

Don't worry, I filled in the implied "...and I didn't feed either of them" in my head. Won't tell a soul. *Winks knowingly*
    I would like to think that my cats care, at least a little. They can tell when I'm sick and jump up on my bed. I know that sound a dumb, " oh, yea sure. They can tell when your sick" but once I was sick for a week and they took shifts sitting on my bed, a place they normally don't much care for. This happens whenever I get sick though.
    Maybe all you cat lovers are right... I've never actually *owned* a cat, but all the ones I've known have been very... unfriendly. But in their defense, I do usually stink of dogs and woodsmoke.
    meagloth said:

I would like to think that my cats care, at least a little. They can tell when I'm sick and jump up on my bed. I know that sound a dumb, " oh, yea sure. They can tell when your sick" but once I was sick for a week and they took shifts sitting on my bed, a place they normally don't much care for. This happens whenever I get sick though.

A few years ago, I had 27 cats—there was a time when they would all be on the bed when I was sick, each almost laying on top of the next so as to be as close as possible to me. It was sometimes uncomfortable, but the gesture was heart-warming and well as physically warming.

Maybe all you cat lovers are right... I've never actually *owned* a cat, but all the ones I've known have been very... unfriendly. But in their defense, I do usually stink of dogs and woodsmoke.

That'll do it, yes. (Remember, though, you don't ever 'own' a cat)
    Troodon80 said:

I had 27 cats

...do I even want to know?
    One more thing I would like to point out: all the dog headed monsters are simple primitives(gnolls, kobolds) while the feline headed monsters are intelligent magic users. (Rakshasa)
    edited July 2014
    meagloth said:

...do I even want to know?

Some were stray, some were dumped by their 'owners' and they found their way to me (as in, some where actually dumped outside my house). Others were semi-wild, a mother probably had kittens somewhere and they had little to no human contact. Two cats had a litter of kittens each, which added another eight over about two months. I had those I could catch brought to the vet to be neutered.

It's a funny story, really. In all my life, I have never gone out to find a cat, never bought a cat, and yet I have always had cats. I'm currently down to five, I had a sixth one but she passed away some time ago, but yet another stray has turned up in recent weeks. Battled-scarred, he is, and I have no idea how old he even is (4-6, I would guess).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Troodon80‌ Are you sure you're not a priest of Bastet in disguise? :)
    <.<
    meagloth said:

One more thing I would like to point out: all the dog headed monsters are simple primitives(gnolls, kobolds) while the feline headed monsters are intelligent magic users. (Rakshasa)

Gnolls are hyena-headed, and hyenas are closer related to cats than to dogs :P