Skip to content

Renfeld wouldn't talk to me.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I got the random encounter and Renfeld would not talk to me. This is my first playthrough of BG2 ever, so I wrote it off as just a one off named beggar in the street and went about my day. I just was wondering about what that building the in docks district was and found out that I've missed out on the Harper's quest line.

I tried adding his body to my inventory with EE Keeper, but that doesn't give me a dialog with the gentleman outside the Harper's area. I can't find any way to reset this quest line to allow me to have that random encounter again and get a chance at properly starting the quest. Is there some way I can manually start it?

I appear to not be alone in this problem, searching the forum led to finding this post which describes the same problem I had (within the spoiler tag): http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/425429#Comment_425429

Any help resolving this would be appreciated!

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Do you have a saved game from before the encounter? Just trying to see if I can repeat the bug.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    If you've added item MISC5F the GlobalTimerNotExpired("RenfeldDeath","GLOBAL") will have passed. Find that value in EE Keeper and change it, e.g. from 2013456 to a much higher value like 9000000 (keep the same number of digits though).
  • HygaardHygaard Member Posts: 2
    Sadly I do not have a pre-encounter save, I just wrote the encounter off as weird (this is my first ever play-through of the game). That was about 20 hours of real world play time ago.

Thank you Gate70! That worked. I didn't have the "RenfeldDeath" global variable, so I just added it with your suggested value and Rylock gave me the quest dialogue.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Glad to hear it. Non-existent variables are assumed to have a value of zero, which works for probably everything except timers.