Skip to content

So is it just me or is it super hard to believe that Jan Jansen is poor

JSearsonJSearson Member Posts: 9
The gnome is a pretty decently-leveled mage when you meet him; that seems like pretty a pretty lucrative skill. Why does he do all this turnip/flasher stuff when he could just, I don't know, scry people or enchant things? I feel like it would be more believable if he was some other class.

Also, like Vaelag, I get that you're an asshole and you've got guards, but a wizard is just going to eat those guards for breakfast.

I feel like he was written as a thief, and they only made him an illusionist after or something.

Is it that he can't afford a license to use magic in Athkatla? That would make sense (and be interesting!) but I feel like you ought to get a conversation about it.
Montresor_SP

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The taproot share holders of Amn sold all of their stock in a hurry... fundamentally slaughtered the equity market of bio turnips in the process and left poor ol' Jan copperless.
    jackjack
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Yeah, but all his skills are illegal... And he's clearly too far out there for the Thieves Guild to be interested in them.

Also, he's a scatter-brain... yes, he's brilliant, but his marbles are all rolling in different directions... People like that don't end up wealthy unless they find a shrewd partner to channel their talents.
    jackjackmeaglothCrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • JSearsonJSearson Member Posts: 9
    @abacus, you're right - they don't end up wealthy. They do usually get to be middle class though.
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Aaaaahahaha... Thanks for a good laugh :)
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Oooh readings for when on the loo!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjackCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sergio said:

@elminster so, when are you going to release a jan jansen banter pack? :D

Its not something I'm planning on doing :)
    jackjack
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    JSearson said:

@abacus, you're right - they don't end up wealthy. They do usually get to be middle class though.

Not if they're gnomes and the Athkatlan middle-classes don't want to live with 12 square blocks of them!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AnduinCrevsDaak
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The Jansens are distant cousins of the Anduins.

They should not be slandered!
    jackjackCrevsDaakScooter
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @Anduin‌ what about being slanderedered?
    AnduinCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sergio said:

@elminster but you should :'(

Its a lot of work and I'm busy with other mods related to BGEE/BG2EE (along with other life things).
    AnduinjackjackCrevsDaak
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    elminster said:

abacus said:

Yeah, but all his skills are illegal... And he's clearly too far out there for the Thieves Guild to be interested in them.

Also, he's a scatter-brain... yes, he's brilliant, but his marbles are all rolling in different directions... People like that don't end up wealthy unless they find a shrewd partner to channel their talents.

Pff...scatter-brain. Nobody in the Jansen family could ever describe themselves as being such.

Well I suppose except for uncle Tillbert. Even then that Polymorph Other spell wasn't intended to invert his opponent. Much less him. Rotten luck really.

Its like cousin Bernie used to say; "Never let a good spell get in the way of a good story". Mind you it was a few moments before saying this that Bernie had tried to summon a familiar, only to end up summoning a demon. Ever wonder why there are no gnome wild mages? Some say we lack the skills and talent necessary to wield it, but really collectively we're just too sane. Cousin Bernie was a rare exception to this.

Like the time when he told Aunt Margaret that he'd fix a hole in her roof. Off he went, sure and confident in himself. Next thing you know rabbits are jumping off of the roof, gnawing away at the families turnips, and ruining perfectly usable turnip leaves. Though the roof ended up looking good. All the same it was still a travesty. They didn't even touch the neighbours carrots!

Mazzy: SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    Sergio said:

In reality, nosecret necromanced this thread because he really wishes a banter pack for Jan by elminster.

True Statement
    elminster
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Jan is a good character.

I dont find it odd he is poor. Bet all your stuff on a single die? Yep.

Then do some quick get rich scheme involving monkeys. Only to have it blow up in your face. But do a heist and your rich, spend spend. Whoop taxes! Poor again but the first a scheme could work now... and so on and on