Skip to content

"Canon" Party Question

Hey,

First time BG Player who plans to go through the whole series (BG-BG2-TOB). Apparently, there is this specific "canon" party that (in theory) matches up most closely with the story. Just curious how true this is, in your opinion. Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    The 'canon party' concept makes sense because BG2 starts with the player character in a rather difficult situation accompanied by three of the BG1 NPCs, which suggests that these NPCs were the player character's companions in BG1. Nevertheless I'm not going to recommend you to assemble the supposed canon party. it's nicest to have your character just go with the flow, and approach encounters with NPCs that want to join you with an open mind.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    There is in bg1. Less so in bg2. Don't worry about it, it will probably be the first people that join your party, or their friends.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    The beginning of BG2 assumes you were traveling with the canon party of BG1.

But the end of BG1 takes place almost a year before BG2. You can always just say your CHARNAME traveled with different people while playing BG1, and then traveled with that 'canon' party after BG1 ended but before BG2 started. It's how I roleplay it, as I rarely use the canon party anymore.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    Hello, @Carl_L‌ !

If you're a first time BG Player I advice you to actually try the canon party. I think that any BG fan should try it at least once and the first playthrough seems to be the best time to do it. If your charname travels with canon party in BG1 you'd understand the start of BG2 much better and some events will give you more emotions.

Moreover, these characters who are in the canon party are actually golden in terms of their personalities, phrases and interactions. The voice over artists are amazing, you'll definitely like them.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Twani said:

The beginning of BG2 assumes you were traveling with the canon party of BG1.

But the end of BG1 takes place almost a year before BG2. You can always just say your CHARNAME traveled with different people while playing BG1, and then traveled with that 'canon' party after BG1 ended but before BG2 started. It's how I roleplay it, as I rarely use the canon party anymore.

Pretty much. I like using the one method @SharGuidesMyHand‌ posted for working around that. Because Shar-Teel is more precious to me than Minsc.
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    edited July 2014
    The whole issue of "canon" and how it factors into the Baldur's Gate game series is difficult to address. Most of the time, each player has a certain "headcanon" by which they follow over the traditional canon found in the books. While you can play the game strictly by the canon of the books, this can be exceedingly difficult if not impossible, depending on how exact you wish to make it. Moreover, the game is designed to give the player a freedom of choice and decision on how he or she experiences the game. There are dozens of available party members and thousands of possible party combinations for this very reason.

If you insist on following the game by the book canon, however, the following is the party member list of the canon adventuring group, in this order:

• Abdel Adrian - Gorion's Ward, protagonist, premade character option in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

• Imoen - friend of Abdel and fellow ward of Gorion

• Khalid and Jaheira - Harpers and friends of Gorion

• Minsc and Dynaheir - Calimshite pilgrims, Minsc is Dynaheir's guardian, Dynaheir Minsc's "witch"
    Location: Beregost (Minsc) and Gnoll Stronghold (Dynaheir), Chapter 1