Skip to content

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
Just thought I would create a thread and see if anyone in the Baldur's Gate community still plays Morrowind. After putting about 1100 hours into BGEE (according to Steam), I thought I would take a break before starting on BGEE2.

I am having a really good time. My guy is amazing. He's a level 100 Arcane Warrior (custom class) with enchanted ebony armor and an enchanted Daedric Claymore (Paralyze 3 seconds + Frost dmg 3-51). He is overleveled big time but I am having an absolute blast.

I am using the overhaul mod (MGSO).

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/mgso-release/

I plan on coming back to BG eventually, but for now I am really enjoying the break.

Anyone else still play Morrowind?
elminsterErgCorvinoKamigoroshiTroodon80Demonoid_LimewireElrandirBlackravenjackjackCrevsDaakTeflonJuliusBorisovSvarShapiroKeatsDarkMagesemiticgoddess

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited July 2014
    I'm not playing Morrowind at the moment, but I will go back to it soon or later :)

My current character is an Imperial pure mage, usually to busy reading books or collecting herbs to bother with fighting Cliff Racers and other similar annoyances. Actually, he has delegated all the fighting to his female Nord bodyguard (see picture under the spoiler tag). Sometimes, when really irked by the noise of the battle, he just casts some cold based area of effect spell of mass destruction, well knowing that his bodyguard is immune to cold.

StormvesselTroodon80Elrandir
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Wow, what great comments! Those pictures are amazing. And what a sexy bodyguard! I have to get me one of those. Long legged blondes - gotta love 'em.

I have the graphics cranked, too. I maxed everything in MGSO 3.0 and it usually runs pretty well on my 3 year old rig (i5 2500k and 6970 x2) but I do occasionally get some lag when jumping. And by jumping I mean casting fortify jump 250 points and hopping from one side of the island to the other ;).
    ErgTroodon80JuliusBorisov
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    well I joined the elder scrolls series with Oblivion so I am biased to like that one best, but Morrowind is a great game! I love all the spells that later got removed, the sense of puzzling together quests, and just the openness of the gameplay system that allows you to go crazy with it. right now I am playing from elder scrolls arena and up (already played them all before, but wanted to try a run through the series in a row) and am at daggerfall so Morrowind is up next on the list. honestly I forsee this stopping early in skyrim. whenever I play skyrim it ended up being long play sessions through the day and then I never go back for months when I would rather start a new character. I understand Oblivion removed a list of things from the games before it, but skyrim went too far, and doesn't get the bias that comes with the first game you play of a series.
    Stormvessel
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    I never played any Elder scroll game previous to Skyrim. On skyrim i have about 500-600 hours on the 360? I like it but it can get boring after lvling up alot. I find my self recreating new people and doing diffrent things with them each time.
    StormvesselTroodon80
    Tarot - you should play Morrowind. It's way better than Skyrim (though Skyrim is one of my favorites).

Child - Don't forget Redguard and Battlespire...
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

I never played any Elder scroll game previous to Skyrim. On skyrim i have about 500-600 hours on the 360? I like it but it can get boring after lvling up alot. I find my self recreating new people and doing diffrent things with them each time.

i would recommend any of the other elder scrolls games before skyrim, even more importantly I would recommend them on PC. the modding community for the games can really give them new life after several hours with the vanilla. i actually agree on the leveling, and so I actually use a mod to slow down the leveling process drastically to postpone the moment I will find myself without a challenge to face. since we are talking morrowind you should look the game up and if you think you could enjoy it you should try it. even if you don't like the look of the systems there is a mod for both oblivion and skyrim to bring morrowind into them, while also being able to play oblivion in skyrim. however you must have a copy of those games to install the mods.
    StormvesselErgTroodon80Elrandir
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Ill see if i can get it a a later date. It does look interesting.
    Troodon80Stormvessel
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I could never get into Morrowind, despite numerous attempts. For one it looks so ugly (this is without the overhaul mod) and while I usually don't care about graphics, it interfered with my suspension of disbelief.

Also, I love playing rogue type characters but the stealth system was just so horrible in this game. You had to hold down C to crouch which was so awkward, enemies seemed to have cast permanent True Sight, and sneak attack was so unpredictable. It probably gets better as you level up, but the first few hours are torture.

I wanted to like it as there was so features it had Oblivion lacked (levitation, the ability to kill anyone, unique setting and story), but I just couldn't get past all the problems.
    Troodon80Demonoid_LimewireTJ_HookerStormvessel
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited July 2014

And what a sexy bodyguard! I have to get me one of those.

@Stormvessel, she is from the mod Companion Hilda, I've only changed her hair and armour. The armour is from the mod Aleanne Clothes and Armor part 1 and 2, the hair from some mod I can't remember (I had several mods adding new faces and hair and I merged them to reduce the number of .esp files, so now I can't tell anymore from which one I got those hair, unless I manage to find the original mod somewhere in my hard drive).

Edit: fixed the links.

Edit2: Planet Elder Scrolls, like other IGN modding sites, seems to be dying or dead, so I've replaced the link for Hilda with the one from Morrowing Modding History.
    Post edited by Erg on
    Stormvesseljackjacksemiticgoddess
    edited July 2014
    I like the way soul trap works - steal the soul of a creature and it says what the creature was. You can install a mod that allows you to steal NPC's souls, and amass a very large collection of unique little souls. Leave them scattered around Hlaalu Manor, walk in and there are souls littered everywhere.

Oh, and then there is Vivec. Trap his soul in Azuras Star - if you can kill him. I warn you, he's about 5 times harder than Dagoth Ur himself, at least for me.
    ElrandirErgJuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Vivec has a death (practically insta-kill) spell, but he only has enough mana to cast it twice, if I remember correctly. Dodge it and he's actually kind of a pansy.
    StormvesselErgJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
    edited July 2014
    Elrandir said:

Vivec has a death (practically insta-kill) spell, but he only has enough mana to cast it twice, if I remember correctly. Dodge it and he's actually kind of a pansy.

Dodging it is the problem for me. I usually play a pure warrior and have very low willpower. My current guy has the atronach birthsign with 100 willpower, so I am thinking I won't have too hard a time with him (I hope).

I guess I can always brew up a super potion w/ spell absorbtion if all else fails.
    ElrandirErg
    edited July 2014
    demented said:

I could never get into Morrowind, despite numerous attempts. For one it looks so ugly (this is without the overhaul mod) and while I usually don't care about graphics, it interfered with my suspension of disbelief.

Also, I love playing rogue type characters but the stealth system was just so horrible in this game. You had to hold down C to crouch which was so awkward, enemies seemed to have cast permanent True Sight, and sneak attack was so unpredictable. It probably gets better as you level up, but the first few hours are torture.

I wanted to like it as there was so features it had Oblivion lacked (levitation, the ability to kill anyone, unique setting and story), but I just couldn't get past all the problems.

Yea, if you are going for pure power, the best class for Morrowind is hands down a heavily enchanted War Wizard using heavily enchanted gear and weaponry - preferably an artifact but you can enchant Daedric Dai-Katanas that wreak some havoc. Heavy Armor is generally the best due to high enchant values, but if you have the expansions Medium Armor is a close second (otherwise it's garbage).

For me, Stealth just isn't viable. Pure Mage can be viable, but it doesn't compare with an Enchanter. The only way I would say a Pure Mage is better is if you are using that Drain Intelligence exploit that refills Magicka anytime you need it.

It's pretty much the opposite of Skyrim. In Skyrim a stealth Archer is so OP it breaks the game. In Morrowind it's incredibly difficult to play.
    Teflonjackjacksemiticgoddess
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388

Yea, if you are going for pure power, the best class for Morrowind is hands down a heavily enchanted War Wizard using heavily enchanted gear and weaponry - preferably an artifact but you can enchant Daedric Dai-Katanas that wreak some havoc. Heavy Armor is generally the best due to high enchant values, but if you have the expansions Medium Armor is a close second (otherwise it's garbage).

For me, Stealth just isn't viable. Pure Mage can be viable, but it doesn't compare with an Enchanter. The only way I would say a Pure Mage is better is if you are using that Drain Intelligence exploit that refills Magicka anytime you need it.

It's pretty much the opposite of Skyrim. In Skyrim a stealth Archer is so OP it breaks the game. In Morrowind it's incredibly difficult to play.

I don't really care about power that much, I just love playing rogue like characters.

As for Skyrim I would say a mage is the most OP class there. By the 50th level you have so much mana and so many insane spells (lightning storm kills everything in seconds) that you're practically a god.
    Stormvessel
    edited July 2014
    Maybe it's all about playstyle.

I've played every possible character in Skyrim and, for me, the Stealth Archer w/ illusion magic was so powerful it wasn't even close. The top Stealth perk was godly - being able to achieve perpetual backstabs at 30x - just incredible. Combined with all the illusions spells and it just isn't even fun anymore. I can go into a room filled with foes and slow time (shout) before they see me and hit them all with my daedric arrows at 3x multiplier. I played a Mage, and it was probably the funnest class for me. But according to my playstyle at least, the stealth/illusion magic archer was incredibly, game breakingly powerful.

IMHO I feel the Mage was nerfed compared to Oblivion. It can still be incredibly powerful but in Oblivion the Mage was a real facemelter. Especially with High-Elf Atronachs and custom spells.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Didn't really get into Morrowind, everything was just too....brown. I know that's what they're going for but after a few hours it was just depressing.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I couldn't get into Morrowind either. Not sure why as I've enjoyed all of the other Elder Scrolls games (even the very first one).