Skip to content

Favorite Alignment

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
I realize I have been making a lot of polls lately, but this is fun! A couple of you have been complaining that my polls from before left out a few quotes, so I decided to make a poll that can't possibly leave anything out.
From a Roleplaying Perspective. What is Your Favorite Alignment to Play?
  1. Favorite Alignment82 votes
    1. Lawful Good
        4.88%
    2. Neutral Good
      20.73%
    3. Chaotic Good
      23.17%
    4. Lawful Neutral
        8.54%
    5. True Neutral
        6.10%
    6. Chaotic Neutral
      20.73%
    7. Lawful Evil
        8.54%
    8. Neutral Evil
        2.44%
    9. Chaotic Evil
        4.88%

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I like playing as a murder-psychopath that also helps out people... Just to kill them later without any reason.
    DarkDoggDemonoid_Limewire
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Lol, so far so Good. I'd like to hear other people's reasons for liking their alignments though. Feedback is nice, please.
    Funny thing is @elminster Picked Chaotic Good. And Elminster of Shadowdale is Chaotic Good
    Coicendence?
    I THINK NOT
    "TURMINSEL" REVEL THYSELF!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I usually play exclusively Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Neutral Evil, or Chaotic Evil. Or Lawful Evil when deciding to play a Dark Moon Monk.

My all-time favourite alignment however still is Chaotic Evil. Also known as "Passionate Evil", at least when trusting the words of Fall-from-Grace from Planescape: Torment. But hey, she as an true Tanar'ri should know about that alignment better than anyone else! Guess I just feel more at ease when playing this emotion rich side of the scala than, for example, the cold calculating Lawful Evil side. Never was much of an planner anyway. And the evil dialogue choices as limited as they currently are make roleplaying any kind of (non-good) lawful quite a chore anyhow.
    ZaramMaldovarCrevsDaakDemonoid_Limewire
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I always vote this way on these kinds of polls (there have been a few like this I think)
    ZaramMaldovarDemonoid_Limewire
    @kamigoroshi I haven't played Planescape so I would not know of this. No spoilers, please. I attend to play it in the future.
    @Elminster Thanks for coming. I was just making a reference to Elminster the character. Is that truly your favorite alignment, or are you just trying to be in character?
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    EIther Lawful or Neutral Good, because I've always wanted to do the most good as possible when it comes to any game with moral choices. Even though I don't do it much IRL, seeing and feeling the satisfaction of the people I helped always makes it worth it and liking to see the next man happy. That and I don't have the stomach to play an Evil character.
    ZaramMaldovar
    @InvictusCobra I've never finished a playthrough as an Evil Character myself. Although I may do a playthrough as Lawful Evil, a cold, calculating, greedy and selfish villain.
    I can't find myself correctly potraying Neutral Evil, and I cannot see Chaotic Evil be able to be played correctly in Baldur's Gate.
    Regardless, no matter the alignment, my characters always have a soft spot for Imoen. Just because you're Evil doesn't mean you don't legitmately care about somethings.

"Family is all"- Hector Salamanca.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    *singing*Born free....as free as the wind blows....as free as the grass grows.....Born free to follow your heart.

I will say, I'm playing CG with my Cleric/Wild Mage, but that's only because I want the fairy dragon. I get a LOT of use out of invis 10'.

However, I have a Pathfinder game going with a CN Half-Orc Ranger. He's not a sociopath, like a lot of people like to paint CN characters, but as a woodsman who is more connected with nature than society. And, being of a race that is often discriminated against by both his bloodlines, it's easy for him to be indifferent to the bigger picture. Orcs, humans, what's the difference? He still supports and works with the party, and isn't shady in the least. He would die to protect his wolf (animal companion). He's just his own person.

I tend to favor (and legitimize) CN characters in general, though. I just really like the personal freedom that comes with it. But, I don't play them jerky. CN characters are fun, but I also don't want to ruin anyone else's game.

"Family is all"- Hector Salamanca.

I'm glad you posted that. It inspired me to rewatch his final scene. Best. Show. Ever.

ZaramMaldovar
    @Kneller‌
    Oh my CN Dragon Disciple, Zaram isn't a Sociopath. He's just an arrogant, greedy, jerk who does things on a whim. Luckily for the world, most of his whims lean more towards good.
    I'm playing him from a roleplaying perspective though, so he'll get a lot of character development in Baldur's Gate 2
    @Kneller To Clarify. An Arrogant, Greedy, CHILDISH Jerk. He's fun to play :P

I'm going to be play him in Table Top eventually, but when I play him in tabletop he'll be a Wild Mage.
    There are wild mages in tabletop? That can't be in any of the core books. I think a wild mage would be way more awesome in tabletop than a video game. How does it work? Is there a d100 table you have to keep nearby or something?
    @‌Kneller
    Perhaps not, I don't know. But the point of tabletop is being able to do what you want. And if Wild Mage is a kit in Baldur's Gate, why shouldn't it be a kit in Tabletop.
    My friend has created a few new classes, races, and even a couple gods.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    elminster said:

I always vote this way on these kinds of polls (there have been a few like this I think)

Not terribly chaotic of you...
    SwordsNotWordsBlackraven
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    abacus said:

elminster said:

Not terribly chaotic of you...
    Thankfully my alignment doesn't require me to be chaotic about my poll choices...
    abacusjackjackSwordsNotWordsDemonoid_Limewire
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

Neutral good, because it's the purest of good alignments out there.

That's basically the way I see it.

Lawful good is potentially undermined by a commitment to the law, while chaotic good allows for the possibility of going too far in the opposite direction. Neutral good combines the best aspects of both alignments and without the potential drawbacks of either.
    GoturalSCARY_WIZARD

Neutral good, because it's the purest of good alignments out there.

That's basically the way I see it.

Lawful good is potentially undermined by a commitment to the law, while chaotic good allows for the possibility of going too far in the opposite direction. Neutral good combines the best aspects of both alignments and without the potential drawbacks of either.
    Pretending to be neutral good when you clearly worship Shar, a neutral evil god. Tsk tsk....how very neutral evil of you. :D
    GoturalDarkDoggjackjack
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I like to adhere to mortal constructs that make me feel less monstrous and make me look cuddly.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Neutral apathy.
    ZaramMaldovar
    edited June 2017
    Lol
    Apathy about everything is hard to play though, and not neccesarily how a True Neutral character is played.
    Take Druids for example, they aren't apathic, they just want balance of all things, especially nature
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    When I'm playing Druids it true neutral ofc no other way lol, but with my other class I always choose chaotic good because I like to be good and help out but I don't really like rules that tell me what I need to do, I can't see myself playing evil as a nurse I see too many stuff that happen from people hurting each other and other thing that happen when people are bad, so no thank you even if it just a game.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    I'm the only Neutral Evil here =)
    ZaramMaldovar
    edited June 2017
    @‌DarkDogg That is either because people don't have the heart to play an Evil Character, or because Neutral Evil is much harder to play than Lawful or Chaotic Evil. Neutral Evil is evil for evil sakes, Pure Evil. No Morale Ground whatsoever. There is nothing you won't do to fuel your own ambitions, and the rise to greater evil for all the realms. It sounds simple, but it's much to harder to roleplay than you think when it comes down to it.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    Lol, I noticed nobody picked Lawful Good.
    Nobody likes being a Goody Two-Shoes huh?
    Can't say I blame you :P
    Southpaw
    edited August 2014
    @CrevsDaak @ZelgadisGW @Kamigoroshi @elminster @invictuscobra @kneller @sharguidesmyhand @SCARY_WIZARD @CoM_Solaufein @kaguana @darkdogg

Hey Guys, I have an idea. Create a character with your alignment and make up a line they would say.
    This should be fun.
    SCARY_WIZARD

@‌DarkDogg That is either because people don't have the heart to play an Evil Character, or because Neutral Evil is much harder to play than Lawful or Chaotic Evil. Neutral Evil is evil for evil sakes, Pure Evil. No Morale Ground whatsoever. There is nothing you won't to fuel your own ambitions, and the rise to greater evil for all the realms. It sounds simple, but it's much to harder to roleplay than you think when it comes down to it.

I don't think it's so much difficult to play NE. For me personally it's rather harder to play neutral characters. I'm not just talking about Chaotic Neutral hahaha Well, the fact is I have never played a Neutral character in my life. Only Good or Evil. (I've never played a Druid too). Lawfull Good is the easiest to play.
    edited August 2014

Hey Guys, I have an idea. Create a character with your alignment and make up a line they would say.
    This should be fun.

Usstan quartha dos elghinn'an!
    ZaramMaldovar
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    It comes with a complimentary cat.
    meaglothjackjackSouthpaw
  • FleshIsADesignFlawFleshIsADesignFlaw Member Posts: 39
    I have no interest in he D&D alignment system (especially the metaphysical baggage) beyond being descriptions of your choices. I generally try to play characters that act as I would, were I in their universe. Best described as ranging from chaotic good to chaotic neutral.