Skip to content

Turn off non attack roll attacks(?)

Is there any way to turn of the attacks that are just for show but does not do anything?

Example: You see the characters constantly flailing around with their weapons but only a few of those attacks are attack rolls. I want to only see the attacks that are "real" attacks.

And a little bonus question that just came to mind is there any way to keep the game from playing faster if you increase the fps? I changed the fps from 30 to 60 and everything is so fancy and smooth but the characters move extremely quick and if I equip boots of speed they move faster than a Ctrl+J teleport. I reluctantly had to lower it to 45 fps but I really don't want to :[
Borrro

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited August 2014
    There almost was a way to turn them off included in this patch, but it was pulled in favour of a non code fix. Not sure if it ever went anywhere though.
    Post edited by SethDavis on
    jackjackelminsterBorrro
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243

1) I don't think so. When you attack something your character enters "attacking" animation, which always looks the same and has nothing to do with your actual number of attacks per round. This is a visual representation if a pen-and-paper game. If you want a computer game that shows the actual swings, you would need to play something like Morrowind.

2) Uh, I thought the whole reason people change the FPS setting is very specifically to make the walking speed faster. If you want the same walking speed as vanilla then set it back to 30. ?

1/ Why morrowind? Just to pull out an example divinity: original sin only shows attacks when they are made and it is similar to BG in that attacks are made each round.
    Baldurs gate already shows the "actual" swings but also a few that no doubt are just there to increase the action in the game. I don't like these extra swings since it takes away some strategy to not know when the character will do real attacks :/ Also there already is an attack animation that just stands still, attack something when you are out of range and you will see it. You can also see it if you talk to an npc.

2/ Try putting it to 60 and you will see how smooth everything becomes :p, discovering fog of war is no longer "jumpy"(lack of better word) and animations will be a lot smoother. Spells looks a lot better and in my case my eyes are much happier, textures also look sharper when moving the camera. A solution could be if there was some way to lower the movement speed of everything but keep the fps, until then I can survive with 45 fps.
    SethDavis said:

There almost was a way to turn them off included in this patch, but it was pulled in favour of a non code fix. Not sure if it ever went anywhere though.

Then please don't let the idea dust somewhere because I would really appreciate if it one day could be implemented! Atm it looks slightly silly to see a lvl 20 charname with a slow attack speed halberd and -9 THACO trying to hit a gibberling but constantly missing until the end of the round :p Would look better if she just did not hit the gibberling until she actually hit it.
    elminster
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

A solution could be if there was some way to lower the movement speed of everything but keep the fps, until then I can survive with 45 fps.

A light encumbrance on the party maybe. But that's make new gear hard to acquire unless you console in a bunch of bags of holding.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited August 2014
    Dee said:

@DullSkullTheSecond‌ Unzip the attached file into your override, and enjoy.

Wow thanks! Does it work in both bgee and bg2ee?

Edit: never mind, it should :p
    It works perfectly! Cut away a lot of unnecessary hits and made 45 fps a lot nicer.
    Jagged
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Just imagine the non-rolled attacks are feints and bluffs to create an opening...
    meaglothjackjackSchneidendsemiticgoddess
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    abacus said:

Just imagine the non-rolled attacks are feints and bluffs to create an opening...

Except this are 'misses'. But yes, do that.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Isn't there a lot of weird idle standing around in combat with this installed? If it looks ok I might be tempted to give it a go aswel, could certainly make things easier to keep on top of.
    jackjack
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    At lower levels there's a bit of waiting. But what I notice when I use it (and at this point, I use it all the time) is that it makes speed factor much more noticeable, and when my APR increases from Haste, specialization, or gaining levels, the effects are instantly recognizable.
    jackjackDullSkullTheSecondBorrro
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    edited August 2014
    Awesome cheers @Dee , page bookmarked, will give it a go when the patch comes out :D
    jackjackBorrro
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    meagloth said:

abacus said:

Except this are 'misses'. But yes, do that.
    Actually, misses are when you go for a legitimate attack, but it is dodged or is deflected by their armor. Feints and bluffs are the non-rolled attacks, as Abacus said.
    jackjack
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on