Skip to content

Comparing Familiars

Okay, I had a crazier idea than usual for a BG1 run: solo sorcerer, but the focus of the build will be on disabling and buff spells so that my familiar can do most of the killing. I don't expect to actually beat the game with it, but I want to see how successful it can be. So my question here is: which familiar abilities would be best for combat? I figure one of the spellcasting ones rather than the animals, but I recall seeing in the meme thread that the Ferret had a backstab bonus from its hide in shadows ability, and if so that might be worth using.

Craziest idea ever? Probably not, and I'd be a bit surprised if I'm the first person to come up with this. Anyways, thoughts?
CrevsDaak

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    If you want to go Sorcerer solo in BG1, roll 18 STR, pick Sleep and forgot about Familiars, with the amount of spells you can cast at low levels a Familiar would only make it more difficult. Also, when choosing Proficiencies at level 1, I recommend going for Quarterstaffs.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    CrevsDaak said:

If you want to go Sorcerer solo in BG1, roll 18 STR, pick Sleep and forgot about Familiars, with the amount of spells you can cast at low levels a Familiar would only make it more difficult. Also, when choosing Proficiencies at level 1, I recommend going for Quarterstaffs.

I've done that before, is the thing. I'm not trying to optimize here. If anything, I want the exact opposite. The strategy exists for its own sake (plus the fact that familiars get 3 attacks per round, and boosting the strength of each hit reminds me of my fighter/druid dart idea from vanilla), not because I think its a "good" idea.
    CrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    This sounds pretty crazy. So naturally I like it! :p

The Quasit might be good if you aren't concerned about backstab damage. It has a 1d6 attack (in BGEE I mean), compared to most of the 1d2 or 1d3 attacks familiars have. Plus it has horror as a castable spell and is immune to fire, cold, and electricity.

A downside is that it has medium to high AC by familiar standards. So its a case of picking your poison.
    CrevsDaakAbi_Dalzim

CrevsDaak said:

I've done that before, is the thing. I'm not trying to optimize here. If anything, I want the exact opposite. The strategy exists for its own sake (plus the fact that familiars get 3 attacks per round, and boosting the strength of each hit reminds me of my fighter/druid dart idea from vanilla), not because I think its a "good" idea.
    Oh, well, my advice here would be getting a Quasit or an Imp.
    Okay, it's been a while since I've done an Evil run. Sounds like a plan, then. Thanks for the help, guys. I may also bring Viconia along for more buffs/debuffs for the Quasit/Imp, we'll see. It'll certainly be funny, which is the main goal for me here.
    CrevsDaak
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Take DrDis, and 18 cons... this will give you more familiars to lose without reloading.

CrevsDaak
    DreadKhan said:

Take DrDis, and 18 cons... this will give you more familiars to lose without reloading.

I'll take point and Sleep them, is it really that bad?
    CrevsDaak

DreadKhan said:

I'll take point and Sleep them, is it really that bad?
    They usually kill your familiar easily since they all have very few hit points. It's pretty bothering because when your familiar dies, you'll take lots of damage and most probably die because of it too… Not to talk about the permanent CON penalty. But I'd say nothing a well-placed Sleep can prevent :D
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    It can be. :s I mean especially when traveling between areas... this can be nasty.

The big thing is to be ready to reload. And consider having a cons cushion incase your familiar gets offed in a fight you'd rather not reload.

The cool thing about the idea is that you could switch to more standard sorcering later, when your familair is too weak.
    CrevsDaakelminster