Skip to content

Mac App Store still showing v1.2.0

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    MacRPGer said:

Three months since I last posted here. Really? Three months? And they couldn't like do "Hey, Beamdog Volunteer Intern Girl, can you please upload that latest Mac OSX version 1.2.2030 that we have lying around on our database, and then submit it Apple's Mac App Store? Please do it so the foaming in the mouth Mac customers stop whining in our forums. Here we bought you your morning Starbucks coffee today to get you started, and we promise to buy you a Subway sandwich for your lunch break. Now please get to work on that, OK? It is super-important that you get this task done today."

Actually, the Mac App Store version has been updated to an early version of the 1.3 patch. If you're playing through the Mac App Store, you're actually a little bit ahead of the curve right now.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    So to clarify:
    BG1EE on the Mac App Store is currently running a public beta, but with no feedback into the beta program.
    BG2EE on the Mac App Store is still running the unpatched game from last November with the save-game corruption bug the prompted a patch on all other platforms within the week of release. I am not sure that feels like progress - although it was nice to see some attention.

My cynical self suspects that after it was realized that the November patch was missing due to the admitted accidental filing the patch with Apple, a patch finally was sent, but by mistake it we the current beta for the other game - and now we are back into a waiting pattern for the next BG2EE patch which Trent recently announced will take some time, so we can fix significant issues as part of the Android port.

This does not trouble me anywhere near as much as it should since I decided to stop playing BG for a couple of play throughs of Mass Effect again. My plan remains to restart the BG adventure around November and I am optimistic that may just catch the next wave of patches. I will be somewhat disappointed if BG2EE remains unpatched at that time though.

(back to lurk mode)
    atakdog
  • tarasistarasis Member Posts: 20
    The lack of support for the Mac version is incredibly disappointing. (I had come here to see if the Steam version was going to have the Mac version added)
    atakdog
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @tarasis‌ - The Mac version available direct from Beamdog is the latest version.

http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-for-os-x
    If you buy it from Beamdog you also qualify for access to the beta, which is even more up to date.
    AstroBryGuy
  • DavidNielsenDavidNielsen Member Posts: 2
    Dee said:

If you buy it from Beamdog you also qualify for access to the beta, which is even more up to date.

Mac users such as myself tend to prefer having things available in our default App Store. Doing this has a number of advantages such as fewer user accounts and distribution apps to keep track off. It would e.g. not be entirely unexpected to have passwords and user accounts leaked, as has happened so often of late or have a distribution app break due to a system is upgrade. Additionally having multiple apps running just to play our games bogs down the system.

The long and short of it is that it is bad for users and business to not keep on top of the Mac App Store. We tend to pay a nice premium for the privilege of getting our games there (Steam e.g. Typically is a lot cheaper on account of frequent sales which do not happen on MAS). We know and accept that Apple's review process isn't as easy as doing your own distribution but I would expect that patches wouldn't go forgotten for months.

I have no ill will towards Overhaul at all but I urge them to do better in this respect. I greatly enjoyed playing BG1/2:EE on my Mac and I was happy to pay for the game. In fact I hope to see more remakes, e.g. of Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment in the future and look forward to getting them through the Mac Ap Store on the day of release.
    mangoismycat
  • norbaknorbak Member Posts: 1
    @Dee I agree to David Nielsen. Those who purchased the game through app store should not be ignored as Beamdog is doing now.

We are waiting for the release to correct very annoying patches that prevent us to play normally the game, infuriating in the process due to long spent hours to see that the game and/or the character you played are broken.

Please tell us something about dates for next release (1.2.x or even 1.3) in the app store. At least, grant the app store users a download for the patched version (1.3).
    atakdog
    We're not ignoring anyone; at the moment we're focusing our energies on finishing this patch so that it can be released for everyone. We won't release it before it's ready; the appearance of 1.3 on the Mac App Store several months ago was unfortunate, but for right now all we can do is make sure that the patch is ready. As soon as it's ready, we'll be pushing it out to all platforms, including the Mac App Store.

You can follow along with the progress in the Road to 1.3 forum to stay up to date on information about the patch's current status.