Skip to content

Was the original BG this ridiculous? (ambush by ~40 kobolds)

2»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ygramul said:

My issue is with TOPOLOGY:

If I am in a room with only one entrance with me facing it, how the hell are 40 kobolds (or 20 swordsman) beaming down BEHIND me.

(Solution is really simple: have the enemy party spawn at map entrance and walk toward you, to interrupt your sleep.)

The other solution is that they bum-rushed you. Somehow whoever you left on guard duty nodded off and at that exact moment, hoards of kobolds rushed in.

I remember when playing the original gold box games and all enemies would always appear at the top of the screen. We simply accepted that it was merely a limitation of the game that we never got surrounded. Then one of the games (I want to say it was Silverblades, but am not sure) actually dropped enemies surrounding you. It was AWESOMENESS incarnate. You couldn't use the same strategy of creating a wall and then cutting off your enemies approach. You had to guard your wizards and more squishy party members.

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151

Ygramul said:

My issue is with TOPOLOGY:

If I am in a room with only one entrance with me facing it, how the hell are 40 kobolds (or 20 swordsman) beaming down BEHIND me.

(Solution is really simple: have the enemy party spawn at map entrance and walk toward you, to interrupt your sleep.)

The other solution is that they bum-rushed you. Somehow whoever you left on guard duty nodded off and at that exact moment, hoards of kobolds rushed in.

I remember when playing the original gold box games and all enemies would always appear at the top of the screen. We simply accepted that it was merely a limitation of the game that we never got surrounded. Then one of the games (I want to say it was Silverblades, but am not sure) actually dropped enemies surrounding you. It was AWESOMENESS incarnate. You couldn't use the same strategy of creating a wall and then cutting off your enemies approach. You had to guard your wizards and more squishy party members.

It used to make me laugh how often you'd be ambushed in an empty room, from a solid wall side of the room with no access at all!
    I guess those 12 orcs were hiding behind the tapestries...

But whatever, it was all fun. And as Spyder mentioned earlier, I could IMAGINE that they'd all burst around a blind corner I'd previously failed to detect or some such. Or maybe they were above the dungeon's acoustic ceiling panels! Hey I saw Aliens, I know how these things work...
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @bengoshi - ooh, what is that mod you are using to chance the framing graphics in the shot with Viconia and Edwin? It's lovely.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @recklessheart‌

It's not my screenshot, it's by @Stargazer5781‌ ;) He's been last active on July 19 so if noone else can answer your question, we should wait for him to appear here again.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    bengoshi said:

Judging from her "Gulp!" I think Alena may be shocked and worried by this ambush. I don't blame her.