Skip to content

Was the original BG this ridiculous? (ambush by ~40 kobolds)

So, if you rest in Firewine area with a party of lvl 6-7 you can get ambushed by a sea of kobolds (almost 40 of them).

This... breaks immersion. I mean a few are fine, but that many?!

I don't remember this kind of "level scaling" in the original. Perhaps it should be toned down...

(Well, to be honest, one Fireball to the face still clears ALL of them [you may want to keep one front liner in place to delay the tide]. But it's still annoying.)

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Were they all commandos?! Those guys can be scary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Similar thing in Cloakwood Mines:

It really breaks the immersion when in a closed room and behind your back to a wall 20+ Guards show up! (Those guys are dangerous even in 1-on-1 in SCS; cannot be Sleeped; won't die to a single Fireball!)

MOD/PATCH IDEA:
    Have reinforcement summon at a level entrance and walk toward the party. None of this "summon them behind you" crap.
    I hate immersion breaking spawning.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The whole 'its a kobold layer your being stupid' argument KINDA flops around in the dirt like a miner's coughed up lung when you ask 'where the **** in Firewine are they supposed to be living??', because frankly, that place is freaking immaculate. No signs of a cooking fire, no mines or warrens, no beds, etc. If there was a tunnel entrance in a corner, even if you couldnt go in (ie one that says 'There is a small, winding tunnel that reaks of kobolds. Nothing good can come from exploring this cramped death trap'), sure. But there isnt. This isnt anyone's home but the ghosts.

Contrast the place wih Xvart village, or the Cloakwoods Mine.
    Well, ambush mechanics could certainly be improved...

Imagine something like "drums in the deep":

A force of Kobolds is gathering and start zooming onto you. You kill the first few. But then come a dozen. Then more. You are slowly loosing spells and potions. No end in sight. Then come a chieftain and shaman with e dozen more kobolds. You wade through to the chief and after he is killed. Kobolds run away. You get your much deserved rest. In fact, they don't bother you for a few days again.

Compare this with:
    "I beam 40 kobolds behind you if you roll 0-50 on a d100; none if you roll more."
    ...frankly, I call bs on that @the_spyder‌ because every other group's residence does follow this premise. If every enemy base had 0 signs of inhabitation, I wouldnt mind. Kobolds are much larger than a rat; you'd notice tunnels. I dont really care beyond spawning a big heap isnt entirely reasonable considering they dont actually live there. Even the Nashkel Mines had some signs of occupation, and that was simply a temporary local headquarters for a thrice removed henchman.

Nothing really to be done about it, mind you. A major reason it bothers me is that the area is otherwise really cool. Great visuals, wasted imho on what amounts to the most pointlessly irritating dungeon since the Tomb of Horrors. Did Acererak build Firewine by any chance??
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @DreadKhan - I think maybe you and I are playing a different game. The Hobgoblins that are found in the map just south of Beregost don't have a home on that map nor anywhere near "That we find". Nor do the Hobgoblins elsewhere in the lower maps. The Gnolls don't all live in the fortress. It's too far away (and separated by a river). I don't remember seeing a Tasoli lair in Cloakwood, yet there must be one. And I don't remember seeing racks of bunks and 'facilities' in the Nashkal mines for the kobolds, merely loads of them. And there are more Wyvern than could reasonably live in that one cave.

And then there is the unlimited waves of bounty hunters that attack if your reputation runs low. They certainly don't live in Nashkal or Beregost nor even in Baldur's Gate proper.

Who's BS do we smell?

My comment about kobolds being "Like rats" was not to indicate size but to indicate prevalence. They come up out of the cracks.

But here's a compromise for you. "If" the kobolds in the Nashkal mines live there (and we don't see bunks or other evidence of habitation) then the kobolds who are in Firewine "Live" in and around the ruins. Or maybe they just happen to have a BUNCH of their relatives over for a meal?
    I guess you missed the part about being in a monster's purported dwelling, which was kinda a key aspect. Key to calling BS is disagreeing with something someone actually said.

However, despite the irrelevance, I'll address you're concern. As monsters cant just go to an inn, when they are away from their homebase (note, the hobgoblins we find everywhere are likely from the Iron Throne's bandit army... so we did, in fact, see their actual residence. Perhaps some are from the big camp near Nashkel) they camp out. Anyone trying to have any surprise whstsoever will make sure any signs of their camp will be hard to find. Besides, its not like kobolds, hobgoblins, gnolls and xvarts require a tent to camp out for awhile. A bedroll or blanket would cut it for them, and obviously they hide the evidence of their fires. *shrugs* I know I wouldnt give my position away by leaving an old firepit out in the open if I was hiding.

Tasloi are actually really easy; they sleep in trees. Serious, the buggers can climb. They are as savage as gibberlings nearly.

Too many Wyverns?? Thats a family clearly, and they have a heap of food stored up. I am not buying that unless Wyverns are exclusively solitary AND abandon their eggs. They are Dragons remember, and not unintelligent.

Uh, really? Why would the Bounty Hunters live in Nashkel?? They spend most of their time hunting bounties, and go where they think someone worth catching can be found. They heard you have a bounty on your head, and can be found in Nashkel; its never stated or even implied they live in Naskel proper. The Flamming Fist stay at inns (remember Vai?) when not in Baldur's Gate.

The problem with comparing the Nashkel Mines and Firewine is that Mulahey's area features a HEAP of bedrolls.

Anyways, this really is a pointless discussion.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It doesn't really matter if it's a "proper" lair or not. You're sleeping in a dungeon. The denizens of the dungeon decides to ambush you. I'd understand your point if you said this was unbalanced (but unless they're all commandos I'm not sure it would be) or just plain not fun to gave that many enemies at once, but I can't agree that it's "breaking immersion". Sleeping in a dungeon is not safe - and I might even make the case that it is a completely meta act - and if getting ambushed while doing so "breaks immersion" for you, then I'm not certain we think "immersion" means the same thing.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @DreadKhan - please read what atcDave wrote.

While it is true that the Hobgoblins are probably mobile, the fact remains that they have to sleep somewhere as well and there is no evidence that they have hovels anywhere around. By the same token that the Tasloi 'live in trees'. You don't see out houses in the town, but they must be there.

you are awfully eager to accept reasonable explanations for the other monsters, but not Kobolds. Why is that? The Kobolds may very well be a traveling band who happen to recently settle in Firewine. Equally, they may be 'squatting' in the dungeon and leaving exactly the same 'evidence' as the other examples that you give.

Owing to the increased number of monster types in the area, it is reasonable enough to assume that they are drawn there on the offer of treasure but haven't established themselves yet. Certainly that is a much more reasonable explanation than that they 'commute' to guard duty. If they don't come long distances EVERY SINGLE DAY, there will be a community. Pure and simple. We simply don't see it. And if there is a community, there will be LOADS of them.

At the end of the day, is it a tinny inconsistency that they don't front load you with a full on lair? Only by the very smallest of margins in my book and one EASILY overlooked. Certainly it is MUCH easier to overlook that than to assume that the bands of Kobolds through out the region commute hundreds of miles in just to 'guard' duty every day, and then pack back home. If there are a few, there are bound to be A LOT. That's the way Kobolds hang. Being small, they band together.
    atcDave, doesnt it seem odd that we are told by the halflings in Gullykin that Firewine is home to kobolds, and sure enough it is literally crawling with them, yet unlike other dwelling areas, there is no dwelling. :/ You cant conceal a firepit in a building.

The reason I find it immersion breaking in theory is because there clearly are no kobolds living there. I dont really think spawning 10 or 20 swordsmen in the Cloakwood Mine breaks immersion, since we know this is an enemy fortress; Firewine is a dungeon you happen to find lots of kobolds in. :/ its not their lair, despite assertions from Gullykin, and yet Kobolds endlessly spawn there. In Cloakwood, I can easily assume its reinforcements, since its an important installation for a powerful organization. Like I said before, Firewine is immaculate, there is nothing to find there. Heck, we're in a sally port, an escape route, not the actual bridgekeep, which is a ruin.

Hmmm... just thought of that; HUGE stretch since it seems utterly uninhabitable/a pile of rubble, but for 'argument' sake, perhaps Kobolds are hiding in there? Ugh, Firewine reeks of unfinished ideas and disapointment, not Kobolds.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    That really isn't immersion breaking to me at all; we're told lot's of Kobolds live there, and they do. And yes, I could imagine the graphics and design being even more amazing than they are, but I'm not even remotely concerned about it. I love the game for what it is, I don't worry much about what t sn't.
    My point is that lots of kobolds are there, yet seem not to live there. :/

However, this is admitedly a pointless discussion. Let this end!
    My issue is with TOPOLOGY:

If I am in a room with only one entrance with me facing it, how the hell are 40 kobolds (or 20 swordsman) beaming down BEHIND me.

(Solution is really simple: have the enemy party spawn at map entrance and walk toward you, to interrupt your sleep.)
    Oh, alright then:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt

"Frink: Yes, over here, n'hey, n'hey. In Episode BF12, you were battling barbarians while riding a winged Appaloosa, yet in the very next scene, my dear, you're clearly atop a winged Arabian! Please do explain it!
    Lucy Lawless: Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that... a wizard did it.
    Frink: I see, alright, yes, but in episode AG04-
    Lucy Lawless: Wizard!"
    — The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror X"
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Ygramul said:

Not really, since in the AD&D manuals 40 to 400 in an encounter could well be par for the course. And then WotC made them Draconic scions. D:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ygramul said:

(Solution is really simple: have the enemy party spawn at map entrance and walk toward you, to interrupt your sleep.)

Given the difficulty players have in getting around the ruins I can only imagine how big of a pain it would be to actually script the kobolds so that they actually get to you instead of running into a wall or going the wrong way. Either way I doubt implementing this would be simple (particularly given the ruins have 3 different entrances).

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Ygramul said:

So, if you rest in Firewine area with a party of lvl 6-7 you can get ambushed by a sea of kobolds (almost 40 of them).

I don't remember this kind of "level scaling" in the original. Perhaps it should be toned down...

(Well, to be honest, one Fireball to the face still clears ALL of them [you may want to keep one front liner in place to delay the tide]. But it's still annoying.)

Interesting theory. If you go through the dungeon and deal with the kobolds, they rarely if ever attack you while you sleep. If not, they mob you. After dealing with the mob, they rarely ambush you again.

Takes time to replenish their troops!
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited August 2014
    Lateralus said:

Ygramul said:

Interesting theory. If you go through the dungeon and deal with the kobolds, they rarely if ever attack you while you sleep. If not, they mob you. After dealing with the mob, they rarely ambush you again.

Takes time to replenish their troops!
    Takes time for hundreds of kobolds to all roll the Last Dice of Unluckiness. :( Gralduk eated the First, Second, and Third Dice of Unluckiness, and Krootga eated the Fourth...only one dice left.
    They were set on fire. Last Dice of Unluckiness, indeed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Ygramul‌

We, die-hard BG fans, are ready for the hordes of kobolds any minute:

So, yeah, bring them on!
    I'm curious about one thing still:

Was my memory of the original game fogged, or did the encounter-size scaling change in BGEE?
    ( @Dee‌ ?)

(If yes, this is generally a good thing, actually: the original game did kill you at low levels with an unlucky encounter roll. Right now, you start with one gibberling, and go up to ... well... 40 kobolds.)