Skip to content

[MOD REQUEST] Doomguide a neutral paladin

ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
We have Paladins (good) and Blackguards (evil) so why not a Neutral option. Doomguides are the paladins who worship Kelemvor, they specialize in fighting necromancers and the undead. (Direct from Forgotten realms Wiki)

Doomguides are devoted clerics and paladins of Kelemvor, god of the dead, whom they serve, along with the people of Faerûn, by helping mortals deal with their fears of death and existence after the fact. In order to help combat these fears, many of which are tied to the works of necromancers, doomguides also serve as elite divine spellcasters who seek out necromancers and their undead servitors to destroy them and bring a measure of peace to the world

Most doomguides, prior to joining the order's prestigious ranks, have some knowledge of the planes, some skill for negotiation, and a powerful will. A great many, particularly those with previous training in Kelemvor's church are also familiar with turning undead as well as speaking with them. The only true requirement, however, is some degree of skill in casting prayers and a devotion to Kelemvor.

Not all doomguide abilities are purely offensive in nature. In order to protect themselves and others from the touch of death, experienced doomguides learn unsullied heart, also known as Kelemvor's grace prior to the Spellplague, to ward off deathly effects that effect the body or mind.

Doomguides are exceptional healers, even compared with typical clerics, and in a strange occurrence due to Kelemvor's favor doomguides actually act as better healers when undead are close by.
(End Wiki)

Basically I would love if someone made a class kit to represent Doomguides, also adding Doomguide gear like High level swords,shields (Doomguides don't always use two handed swords) and armor. And their own version of Carsomyr and the Blackguard version of Carsomyr (can be a sword and shield combo too) Maybe add a new temple to the temple district (or graveyard district since Doomguides tend to care for the dead) for Kelemvor, there you can purchase or earn better Doomguide gear and when you have to fight Bodhi you can recruit Doomguides to aid you.

I know this was a long topic but I felt this would be a great addition to the Baldur's Gate 2 Mod Community.

Comments

• jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Good idea, I will always support more diversity and this kit sounds more interesting than most! :D
    Zakharon
  • ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    jobby said:

Good idea, I will always support more diversity and this kit sounds more interesting than most! :D

Thank you, I appreciate it
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2014
    What abilities would you like the class to have? Please be as specific as possible. I don't think it is possible to make them better healers when undead are near btw.

Exact alignment restrictions? (I believe it is not possible to ensure this class won't fall if not evil aligned if that is a concern.)

The easiest thing would be to rename the undead hunter (and tweak some 2da's for alignment changes).

Edit: I can create the kit and items, and place those items in a place of your choosing, but the other stuff is beyond me.
    Zakharon
    Well I would say that they should have better healing spells than normal paladins basically on par with the normal healers, and spells and or abilities that would be effective vs undead, maybe a miscast magic spell(preventing a spellcaster from casting raise undead in lore) maybe a bonus when fighting undead and inate protection from undead abilities like level drain and hold, ect, for location maybe a Npc Doomguard in the temple district and maybe some higher level gear in one of the tombs in the graveyard district? Does this help at all?
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    A Doomguide kit like this?
    Isandir said:

A Doomguide kit like this?

I would not know, It doesn't list what she can do
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    I don't recall the specifics of the kit that was made for the mod, but I'm relatively sure it included many of the elements from the PnP specifications. It seems that @Jackkel_Dragon‌ and @Requiem‌ (who designed the kit) have unfortunately been inactive for quite a while.

There's the possibility that someone may simply be able to extract the necessary files for the kit. @CrevsDaak‌, @LiamEsler‌, @Erg‌ or any others? (Modding is not my forte, excluding some very basic coding.)
    ah i see
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Isandir said:

There's the possibility that someone may simply be able to extract the necessary files for the kit.

I'd rather wait for a confirmation from the author before doing so, besides, I'd also rather make my own version, but actually I want to finish a mod for @Anduin‌ :\ which I started some time ago.
    ZakharonErg
    I feel so special, everyone loves my ideas lol :)
    CrevsDaak
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I deeply dislike this idea... I'll be in my crypt practicing necromancy...
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Isandir said:

There's the possibility that someone may simply be able to extract the necessary files for the kit.

CrevsDaak said:

I'd rather wait for a confirmation from the author before doing so

Yes, unless it is a completely independent version, adapting the kit in that mod requires permission from the original author. Besides, I would wait for the next patch, because it looks like it will bring further changes to the way kits are handled by the game. From the preliminary patch notes on "The road to v1.3" thread:

- Kits added by mods no longer cause error messages
    CrevsDaakZakharon
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Aren't doomguides primarily clerics? I specifically remember it being a cleric prestige class in 3rd edition (yaya i know bg is adnd 2)
    edited August 2014
    Khyron said:

Aren't doomguides primarily clerics? I specifically remember it being a cleric prestige class in 3rd edition (yaya i know bg is adnd 2)

They can be both "so says the wiki" (Doomguides are devoted clerics and paladins of Kelemvor, god of the dead)
    Other kits I would love to see one day would be Sword Mage (Yes I know there is a Dusk Blade mod and I like it but it only scratches the surface of what Sword Mage could be, diffrent sword spells, teleport spells, aegis spells, ect in the actual mage spellbook maybe) Hex blade (With different pacts and a pact blade that levels up with the player granted by your Hell/Star/Fey pact) and I swear I am missing a good one off the top of my head....
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Speaking of sword mages any chance of getting something close to a red mage without having to run a fighter/mage/cleric multiclass? Sorry just being a nerd for my favorite final fantasy class -_-;

Speaking of sword mages any chance of getting something close to a red mage without having to run a fighter/mage/cleric multiclass? Sorry just being a nerd for my favorite final fantasy class -_-;

It depends on the moder, I know some moders like to stay within the world lore
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Well ok then! I support the request for a neutral pally kit.. Doomguide seems appropriate :)
    Zakharon
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I have no opinions on adding I neutral paladin kit (the only issue I can see is to make another anti-Undead class differentiate itself enough from Undead Hunter mechanically, but that's hardly an insurmountable problem), but you'd have to refluff it if you want to be lore accurate - iirc Kelemvor ascends to godhood the same year BG1 takes place, so he would've just gotten started by the time BG2 rolls around. The previous God of the Dead weren't as keen on the whole undead fighting either, at least unless his priests got paid, so they weren't really the paladin-like sort.
    scriver said:

I have no opinions on adding I neutral paladin kit (the only issue I can see is to make another anti-Undead class differentiate itself enough from Undead Hunter mechanically, but that's hardly an insurmountable problem), but you'd have to refluff it if you want to be lore accurate - iirc Kelemvor ascends to godhood the same year BG1 takes place, so he would've just gotten started by the time BG2 rolls around. The previous God of the Dead weren't as keen on the whole undead fighting either, at least unless his priests got paid, so they weren't really the paladin-like sort.

This would not be the most unlore friendly lore mod out there, so lets just say Kelemvor got busy (he is a god, he can make multiple avatars of himself) and the first Doomguides went to Amn after forming to fight off the undead in the city and to recruit more to the cause. Last I checked the undead hunter did not have a lot of access to healing spells and attacking spells in general, just increased damage to undead
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    In 2nd Edition, Doomguides were the specialty cleric (and only cleric) of Kelemvor. In 3rd Edition they're a prestige class that can be entered by any divine spellcasting class but is still aimed primarily at clerics (possessing Cleric attack bonus, saves and increasing spell levels).

According to 2nd Edition rules, the Doomguide must be Lawful Neutral or Neutral Evil (the latter only in case of converted priests of Myrkul who must switch to LN within 3 years or lose all cleric powers) while in 3rd Edition, it can be Lawful Good, Neutral or Evil. In the case of Paladins, this would always be Lawful Good.

If you want to add a Neutral paladin, I'd suggest keeping the Doomguide as a seperate cleric kit and look to gods who don't usually have paladins. Since a Neutral paladin isn't a standard paladin (much like the blackguard isn't), they're not restricted by the same gods restriction. A 'Paladin' of Oghma would be very lore-friendly in that regard (and make sense in-game) or perhaps one who follows Tempus (and thus might be restricted to Chaotic Neutral), or Gond or even Kossuth, lord of Fire.
  • JaeldynJaeldyn Member Posts: 49
    I'm not sure how it would go RP-wise though, since the Bhaalspawn saga is supposed to take place in 1368DR, which is the same time as when Kelemvor achieved apotheosis, sounds kinda weird for the CHARNAME to pick up his skills so late in life, or something like that