Skip to content

Modding Iwdee

GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
Hello,

I am very curious, and I hope this isn't premature but: How different will the engine be from bgee? How easy will it be, eg, to convert bgee kit mods?

Thank you

(Edit)

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Just my opinion, I would guess they would use the most updated game engine, that being the BG1&2 EE engines.

The original IWD engine is a BG2 SoA engine with features turned off or never implemented.
    CrevsDaakGrammarsaladjackjack
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    CamDawg said:

We started with what was essentially BGIIEE, and then added a lot of new code to get all of the IWDEE content to work just right.

Does this mean you were able to add all the spells from the original game? According to the IWD in BG2 mod several spells could not be ported as they had dependencies in the IWD engine code(see http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=215ef6955463b83aab09448e1fd4166e&showtopic=21111) that wasn't present in the BG2 engine. I use several, especially Wall of Moonlight and Mordekains Force Missiles so it would be awesome if you were able to include them.

Hopefully you had access to the original engines code and was able to port the pieces needed.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

CamDawg said:

We started with what was essentially BGIIEE, and then added a lot of new code to get all of the IWDEE content to work just right.

Does this mean you were able to add all the spells from the original game?
    Yep.

elminsterAstroBryGuyjackjack
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Just curious, but with the updated engine, is it possible we'll get an updated IWD:EE in BG2:EE mod at some stage? That would be pretty neat.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    With the updated engine you wouldn't need an IWD:EE-in-BGII:EE mod.
    elminsterCrevsDaakAstroBryGuyjackjack
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Just curious, but with the updated engine, is it possible we'll get an updated IWD:EE in BG2:EE mod at some stage? That would be pretty neat.

It seems to me that would be pointless as they're both going to use the same engine anyway. The IWD in BG2 was only made so you could make use of some of the features of the better BG2 engine. That's already going to happen by default with the EE versions.

• ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    CamDawg said:

CamDawg said:

Does this mean you were able to add all the spells from the original game?
    Yep.

Thanks for the info and thanks to everyone involved for making this EE happen. IWD is one of my all time favorites and am super excited to play.
    jackjack
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited August 2014
    CamDawg said:

We did a code level iwd in bg2 thingie. As in, anything that was just slightly clunky doing with scripting, got code support. Anything that was doable with the existing codebase (sometimes better than the original) was converted. So, what we got is a better than BG2EE codebase with lots of new things moddable.

Are you planning to port IWD:EE engine features back to BG(2):EE engine? Things like the BitGlobal trigger (if it is still used) and other stuff unique to IWD for better modding possibilities in BG games?

CrevsDaak
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2014
    swit said:

CamDawg said:

We did a code level iwd in bg2 thingie. As in, anything that was just slightly clunky doing with scripting, got code support. Anything that was doable with the existing codebase (sometimes better than the original) was converted. So, what we got is a better than BG2EE codebase with lots of new things moddable.

Are you planning to port IWD:EE engine features back to BG(2):EE engine? Things like the BitGlobal trigger (if it is still used) and other stuff unique to IWD for better modding possibilities in BG games?

I'm curious about this also @CamDawg‌ and @Avenger_teambg‌

Edit: or @Dee‌
    :)

Well, porting features back to the old games has pro and con:

Con:
    It needs testing with all the original content
    Pro:
    It requires less maintenance if we have an entirely common codebase

I can only say, features that are immediately needed, usually get moved pretty fast between the projects. Also it is easier to move stuff into a work in progress, than into a patch that doesn't really require the new feature.

That makes sense...*hoping for an eventual 'bg(n)ee in iwdee' mod then*

Well, porting features back to the old games has pro and con:

Con:
    It needs testing with all the original content
    Pro:
    It requires less maintenance if we have an entirely common codebase

I can only say, features that are immediately needed, usually get moved pretty fast between the projects. Also it is easier to move stuff into a work in progress, than into a patch that doesn't really require the new feature.

In other words IWD features won't be ported back to BG:EE engine. I understand your reasoning, but it's quite disappointing.
    Grammarsalad
    Touche'
    JuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited August 2014
    Actually, I'd like to see an Infinity Engine able to handle all of the different files formats, maybe by unifying them this could be reached (and no testing would be needed since each .CRE v1.0 would be different from a .CRE 2.0 but the game engine would be able to process both? I know how huge this would be, but once done it would be able to put all of the IE games on a single, 100% engine

Edit: or just convert the content to BG2:EE's engine like it was done with IWD:EE (but doing this with PS:T:EE, if it's ever done, would break lots of stuff since PS:T _needs_ several differences to work).
    GrammarsaladCuv
    Thanks for clarification, Dee. I'm looking forward for these post IWD:EE release enhancements for BG:EE engine.

One more question: what about file formats? Will the IWD resources (CHR, CRE, STO) be ported into BG2:EE format or use the original one?
    JuliusBorisov