Skip to content

What Place in IWD 1 was your favourite? (possibility of spoilers obviously)

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I figured I'd make the first poll in this section of the forum. I'm just basically curious what was your favourite place in the game and why?

I couldn't include most of the places in Heart of Winter and nothing from Trials of the Lure master, so "Other" would apply there if you liked somewhere in those parts of the first game.

That and I guess Other counts as "show results".
  1. What Place in IWD 1 was your favourite? (possibility of spoilers obviously)72 votes
    1. Easthaven
        5.56%
    2. Kuldahar
      29.17%
    3. Vale of Shadows/Kresselack's tomb
        8.33%
    4. Temple of the Forgotten God
        0.00%
    5. Dragon's Eye
        2.78%
    6. Dorn's Deep (upper or lower)
      15.28%
    7. Wyrm's Tooth
        6.94%
    8. Severed Hand
      22.22%
    9. Lonelywood
        2.78%
    10. Other
        6.94%
booinyoureyesJuliusBorisovWandering_Minstrellolien

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Dorn's Deep
    elminsterEnialusMeliamne
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Kuldahar is the town with the big tree, right? Kind of the hub town for the whole game? That's my favorite.
    elminsterBlackravenJuliusBorisovFandraxx
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yep Kuldahar is the town with the big tree.
    JuliusBorisov
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited August 2014
    ^^ Agreed! Love the lore of the place too.

EDIT: Obviously, based on the timing of my post, this was intended for the Dorn's Deep post above the last two posts. Darn refresh rate...
    ronaldoelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    You can't beat Dorn's Deep So much to explore and so many ways to die..
    EnialusMeliamneelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I must admit that I'm very fond of the Wyrm's Tooth. The glacier, the museum... everything about that place has such a romantic atmosphere.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovNimran
    I like Lonelywood. Its got a very cosy feeling too.
    jackjackbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisovlolien
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Hard choice. I'm going to go ahead and say The Severed Hand. It's funny, because when I played through the game in my youth it was my least favorite area. It's my favorite now because I've become a fan of art of abandoned locations, and stuff like that. It's haunting, chilling, and totally atmospheric. I love it.
    elminsterjackjackbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    I vote for the Severed Hand. The layout was cool and I liked the back-story.
    elminsterbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, I am not surprised the Temple of the Annoying Giants isnt winning, but so little love for the Wolf? Aww... he hooks you up with black platemail. Its not msgic, BUT IT LOOKS REALLY COOL!

*cough*
    elminsterQuartzNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • All of the above and more. Except perhaps the Temple of the Forgotten God (giants were a pain there) and parts of TOTLM.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited September 2014
    Kuldahar was pretty :3
    Also, the frozen aquarium, I forgot where that one was though ...
    elminsterJuliusBorisovElrandir
  • Never came mutch further. I have got my first copy from the local library for 2 weeks.
    Even than it was restarting galore, with 6 charnames!
    JuliusBorisov
    edited September 2014
    I don't know about that. I think if you want to learn about the history of places in Baldur's Gate you just have to take the time to read secondary material. Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast for instance details Gullykin, the Firewine ruins, Durlag's Tower, Beregost, the Friendly Arm Inn, Baldur's Gate, High Hedge, the Beregost temple and probably other places. You can even see how they incorporated what is written in it (for instance the tunnels that connect the gullykin temple to the firewine bridge) into the game (another example is the ward stones that are reportedly needed to go to the lower depths of Durlags as well as I believe explaining more about Durlag).
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisovRavenslightatcDavelolien
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I probably like the variety of encounters and areas in (I think it's Lower-) Dorn's Deep, where you have fire giants, and underdark creatures etc. You get a lot of ways to test out and implement your higher level spells and equipment, rather than another stale and far-too-long struggle to kill as many of the same enemies as possible.

Speaking of which, to those of you who have/will/considering picking Dragon's Eye: no. There is no justification. Way too much Dragon's Eye. And then they brought it back in IWD2? Why? *tears up*
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Severed Hand. If you track down the entire story of what happened it really makes you appreciate the gravity of all that transpired. Restoring the Arboretum gave me, the player, a sense of satisfaction.
    elminsterQuartz
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Most definitely not the Vale of Shadows or Dragon's Eye. No one likes Dragon's Eye.
    edited September 2014
    Poor atcDave. Apparently he's no one.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
    QuartzJuliusBorisovNimran
    Elrandir said:

Poor ATCDave. Apparently he's no one.

Umm what?
    lolien
    @elminster‌, @atcDave‌ voted for Dragon's Eye. If @The_New_Romance‌ is right, then atcDave is no one.
    QuartzJuliusBorisovlolien
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    :(