Skip to content

To use a triple class or not?

cbones9889cbones9889 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 41
I have played IWD a couple of times as well as BG(EE) and BG2(EE). However, I have never played a triple class character in any game.

Everyone on this forum is very helpful so I thought: Do you think a triple class would be good for IWDEE?

Comments

• BusticationBustication Member Posts: 49
    It'd be a harsh learning curve, but doable with a small party.
    atcDavejackjack
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Triple class characters can be fun; but they'll always be utility players, not all-stars. As bustication mentioned, they will perform better with a smaller party!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Depending on how much you are willing to micro, triple class character can outperform everyone else.

If the foe is vulnerable to backstabs, then F/M/T become the heaviest melee damage dealer. Able to backstab forever with Mislead, and to tank like a boss with Stoneskin and Mirror Image, they will easily destroy everything.

F/M/C can dish some serious reliable damage aswell, they're like F/M with 25 Str and max damage per hit.

However, take note that I have never played IWD so things may vary depending on the equipment and spells available.
    BlackravenRAM021JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    They can potentially be very powerful. Honestly since they can fill a number of roles in your party you should try them out imo.
    Post edited by elminster on
    BlackravenFandraxx
  • cbones9889cbones9889 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 41
    Thank you all as always very helpful. I will decently try one out. Now to decide which of the 2 to try...
    edited September 2014
    You could always do both. A fighter/mage/thief could basically serve as your parties thief (particularly once you get knock) who could also either use a ranged weapon or some sort of up close weapon. A fighter/mage/cleric could serve as a secondary (or tertiary) healer and a secondary fighter or a tank.

That leaves enough room for

a druid
    a bard (for the songs)
    a mage/sorceror
    another warrior or cleric.

As an example.
    Goturalcbones9889RAM021JuliusBorisov
    I had not thought of using both. Would the leveling be too slow?
    edited September 2014
    Their leveling would be slowed down but that is what the bard song is for. Skalds would be particularly good for this though a regular bard can also be handy. Basically a bard singing would ensure your characters chance to hit (thac0) doesn't fall too far behind. You'd probably want to think of them more as warriors and less as spellcasters.
    Goturalcbones9889RAM021JuliusBorisov
    @Dazzu‌ wow! 6 triple class characters seem like too much work for me. 1 or 2 sounds about right.
    atcDaveNimranelminsterjackjack
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Do it, but keep the party to four or five members. I never played triple class, but I planned on doing so (just can never decide whom exactly to take).
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    It depends. Are you going to run the game and then repeat it on HoF when you beat it? If so, a triple class or 2 is a fine choice.
    RAM021
    I do plan on running through HoF... never finished HoF in the past want to give it a try as well. This will be a good opportunity to try a triple class or 2
    RAM021
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    decado said:

F/M/T - SOLO!

That's how I played through the game! And what a fun time was had.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Triple class is easier if you set the game to hard or insane to get double xp (this applies to quests, as well). If you want a real challenge then play your party of 6 multiclassers in HoF, where xp is quadrupled + 2000.
    elminsterRAM021cbones9889

Triple class is easier if you set the game to hard or insane to get double xp (this applies to quests, as well). If you want a real challenge then play your party of 6 multiclassers in HoF, where xp is quadrupled + 2000.

Interesting.... I did not know turning the game to hard or insane grants increased XP. Very useful!
    Easier difficulties do the same thing.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

decado said:

F/M/T - SOLO!

That's how I played through the game! And what a fun time was had.
    I was playing a FMT solo in the IWD-in-BG2 mod before I hit a gamebreaking glitch. I'll certainly be trying this again.
    ElrandirSCARY_WIZARD
    edited September 2014
    From what I understand the xp cap in IWD is 8M xp per class or level 30, which means triple class character have a 22.5M xp cap. Which essentially means that triple class are strictly superior to anything else.
    Post edited by Gotural on
    JuliusBorisovKerthalRAM021
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Gotural‌
    Although, without the Heart of Fury mode it would be a little bit difficult to get a 22.5M xp, don't you think? :D
    GoturalKerthalatcDave
    Totally true, I know nothing about IWD and I was just reading the gamefaq guide quoted earlier which has the Heart of Fury mode in mind for his 5 F/M/C 1 F/M/T party. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Gotural said:

Totally true, I know nothing about IWD and I was just reading the gamefaq guide quoted earlier which has the Heart of Fury mode in mind for his 5 F/M/C 1 F/M/T party. :)

If I remember correctly, in normal play, including HoW and TotLM, you earn enough xp to get into the high teens. Maybe 2.5 million xp? The level cap is only reachable by importing pre-leveled characters into HoF mode.
    GoturalelminsterJuliusBorisov
    You're not reaching 22.5 million even still, and 5 FMC blocks you out of a lot of non-blunt weapons, and being Half-Elf can deny you certain race restricted items.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    IWD also had level adjusted races (or am I thinking about IWD2?). Just don't try and combine a triple class with a level adjusted race. That would HURT.