Skip to content

Which all-good party do you prefer (BG2EE)?

James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
Of the options below, which all-good party do you prefer if the protagonist is a Fighter/Mage (imported from BG1)?

1. Fighter/Mage
Jaheira
Minsc
Keldorn
Aerie
Jan/New NPC's rotating in as desired/ -> Imoen

2. Fighter/Mage
Jaheira
Minsc
Mazzy
Aerie

3. Fighter/Mage
Jaheira
Mazzy
Keldorn
Aerie

4. Fighter/Mage
Jaheira
Minsc
Keldorn
Anomen

1. Which all-good party do you prefer?82 votes
    1. Jaheira, Minsc, Keldorn, Aerie, Jan->Imoen
      36.59%
    2. Jaheira, Minsc, Mazzy, Aerie, Jan->Imoen
      18.29%
    3. Jaheira, Mazzy, Keldorn, Aerie, Jan->Imoen
      12.20%
    4. Jaheira, Minsc, Keldorn, Anomen, Jan->Imoen
      32.93%

Comments

• James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Thanks for the votes! I'm trying to decide my next party. Number 1 is my usual, and normally cleric/ranger.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    So, it seems Anomen is a little bit more popular than we can think:)
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Just realized I voted wrong...I always have Aerie in my party as she is AWESOME. A little bit weak BUT the amount of spells she has is worth micromanagement to keep her alive. I just started a new run as a Gnome Illusionist/Cleric and will go in to BG2EE with Aerie in my mind =)

Minsc is just a loooong time favorite and should be there...

I never really liked Keldorn, but he is a paladin and as such awesooome

Anomen was badly hated 20 yearsago, but I like him more and more....

Mazzy used to be a favorite, but dont like that she is a late pick up =/

Valygar is also someone I used to loathe and nowadays love like a younger brother....

Imoen....what is there to say....the sexual tension is....steaaaming...

But then again I usually play a F/T ..........and she is my sister........

I found that I love dual and multiclassed characters as theygive more options, but what I love absolutely most in BG2 is to shake it up and try all characters in all possible constelations
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Out of the four combinations I find myself using the last the most (except Yoshimo instead of Jan, I never take Jan).

I do wish there was another good/neutral cleric aside from Anomen. Aerie is painful to have as a sole cleric, and as much as I like Anomen half my PCs have no RP reason to have him around, mostly because they're thieves.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited August 2014
    I like Anomen, but the fourth option would be a bit too 'macho' for me I think.

This is only different when I play one of my warrior badasses with anti-magic bias (so definitely not a Fighter/Mage), in which case the party would consist of Keldorn, Anomen, Valygar, charname Warrior/Thief or Wizard Slayer, Yoshimo and Jaheira.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    If in #4 I could play a sorceror, and swap out Minsc for Rasaad, that was my favourite party when I first got the enhanced edition. Erm...well ok I sort of left Imoen behind and kept Jan. I felt a bit bad about that.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Keldorn and Aerie are awesome. Must haves
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    I like racing games
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    This poll confuses me, as there's a lot of 'all good' and a lot of this Jaheira person around. :P
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Out of all the options listed, I'd recommend the bottom one, because you should have at least one non-multi cleric in your party IMO.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Goes to show how limited the options are in BG2.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Jaheira and Jan are both neutral and stay that way for the entire game, so they wouldn't be my all good party. It would be

Charname
    Keldorn
    Anomen (since he switches to LG)
    Nalia
    Mazzy/Aerie (depending on your playstyle if you need another cleric in the mix or snipe)
    Yoshimo -> Imoen

With your choices and having a fighter mage it'd be option 3. Jah can tank and heal, mazzy can snipe, Kel can tank and take care of mages while Aerie dishes out the damaging spells and the like.

option 4 is too much tank, 2 is nice but Keldorn's mage killing ability wins over Minsc and one is better than 4 but still too much tank.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    edited September 2014
    deltago said:

Jaheira and Jan are both neutral and stay that way for the entire game, so they wouldn't be my all good party.

Jaheira is Neutral Good, she's just not listed that way in the game. ;)
    deltago said:

option 4 is too much tank, 2 is nice but Keldorn's mage killing ability wins over Minsc and one is better than 4 but still too much tank.

You can't have too much tank. ;)

IMHO, #4 is a near-perfect party. The only improvements I can think of are making the protagonist a Kensai>Mage or a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist instead.

You get to use all the best weapons with this set-up, which is just awesome.

• WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Imoen is not your real sister - she is a foster sister (being that she is also a Bhaalspawn, like you).
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    I'm using a very similar party for the fourth option. When chapter 3 starts my party will be:

Jaheira (never did her romance before)
    Keldorn (used this spot for korgan and valygar for most of chapter 2)
    Minsc
    Anomen (used aerie, edwin, and viccy for most of chapter 2)
    Imoen (used yoshimo for chapter 2)

It's heavy on melee but it works very well. I'm using my conjurer mostly as a buffer and crowd control.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Thanks for all the comments, that's great!

Klorox, I agree totally. I've played a lot of #1, and one play-through with #4. #4 was awesome. Mind you that was Cleric/Ranger rather than Fighter/Mage. Looking at the stats of #1 vs #4 for my save games shows Anomen contributed 5% of party xp points whereas with #1 Aerie only got 1% of the party xp's! But, my conclusion was that I preferred the convenience of Aerie's huge number of spells for buffing the tanks, and breaching/fireballs in particular.

So, because I've played lots of party #1 and #4, I decided to try Mazzy for once, and at the same time try Fighter/Mage, so I decided to try party #2, not worrying that it is probably less powerful than the other parties. She is snippering quite well with her 3½ attacks per round (or 4½ with Tuigan bow) and can disrupt mages nicely with fire or acid arrows.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    none of them, I hate keldorn I hate mazzy I hate Anomen I hate Minsc sorry ;(
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    WebShaman said:

Imoen is not your real sister - she is a foster sister (being that she is also a Bhaalspawn, like you).

Which means both your foster fathers and your 'biological' fathers were the same.. so sister.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    My favorite good aligned party is this one:
    M/T Elven PC.
    Anomen
    Keldorn
    Mazzy
    Haer'Dalis
    Jan jansen
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    You evidently don't use a lot of high-level magic, @CrevsDaak‌. Fair enough, each to their own ... your style is mainly backstab-and-melee, I guess?
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Amberion said:

WebShaman said:

Which means both your foster fathers and your 'biological' fathers were the same.. so sister.
    But she is not a biological sister - Bhaalspawn have a splinter of Bhaal's soul essence in them - they are not biological parts of Bhaal.

Bhaal did not sleep with the biological mother of said Bhaalspawn. The relationship is purely a spiritual one (soul essence).

If you consider Imoen a real sister, then all Bhaalspawn are intimately related family members...bleh. That means you are killing your brothers and sisters, literally. Cain and Abel, anyone?

But coming back to the related part - to be honest, we really do not know if Imoen is your real (biological) sister or not. It is entirely feasible that she could be your real sister (albeit raised as you were in Candlekeep with a foster parent). On the other hand, it is entirely feasible that she is not your biological sister (especially if is of a different race, obviously).

We never really find out who the original biological parents were from , nor from Imoen (or from any of the Bhaalspawn, tbh).

To address the OP and the topic :

I detest Jan, so I need an additional option : none of the above. Can't you include Nalia instead of Jan? Then I would take No. 3.

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    WebShaman said:

Bhaal did not sleep with the biological mother of said Bhaalspawn. The relationship is purely a spiritual one (soul essence).

No? Oh. Actually I thought that's exactly what Bhaal did (presumably shape-shifting as necessary for some of the more unorthodox situations), but perhaps I've misunderstood the lore.
    WebShaman said:

If you consider Imoen a real sister, then all Bhaalspawn are intimately related family members...bleh. That means you are killing your brothers and sisters, literally.

Yes indeed, that's exactly what I thought the situation was meant to be, literal half-brothers and half-sisters. But again, perhaps I've misunderstood the lore.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

You evidently don't use a lot of high-level magic, CrevsDaak‌. Fair enough, each to their own ... your style is mainly backstab-and-melee, I guess?

Spells from levels 4-8 are good enough. Plus, with that party setup you don't eve need magic for the vanilla game.
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    Elendar said:

WebShaman said:

Umm.. from Gorion's letter that you find in his room at Candlekeep:

"For reasons unknown to me, he sought out women of every race and forced himself upon them. Your mother was one of those women, and as you know, she died in childbirth."

So yes, Bhaal certainly is the biological father of the Bhaalspawn. All of them.

He chose the "elegant" version but in other words :mass murderer named Bhaal who claims to be god had last chance to spread his terror through his seed so he RAPED human.. oh charname mother too btw.. some giants and dragons and probably was on fuc*ing spree for few years right before he died".
    That makes Bhaal - real sex offender. And certainly not a fan of monogomy :)
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    All good?

Aerie (or Anomen since you can change his alignment by simply passing a test which also nets him +3 wisdom so unless you REALLY want him to stay neutral or want to see the other side of his romance why not just pass the darn thing)
    Mazzy
    Imoen
    Minsc
    and either Keldorn if you took Aerie, or Nalia if you took Anomen.

Soooo was this supposed to include neutrals because it did say all good but the poll included Jaheira quite a bit. Of course the tc may have a mod that changes her to neutral good and forgot about it.
  • CruelMetatronCruelMetatron Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2014
    I don't get why you insist on Jaheira, romance I guess. If not I would recommend the first option, but with Anomen instead of Jaheira, because he levels up way faster (still got high hp), you still got enough frontline and still have a lot lategame mager power with yourself, Aerie and Imoen.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I didn't realize there was so much love for Anomen over Aerie. Aerie will always be one of my favorite characters.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274

I didn't realize there was so much love for Anomen over Aerie. Aerie will always be one of my favorite characters.

Oh I love them both to be honest XD I actually have a hard time not recruiting them when I want to use other characters.