Skip to content

MacOS WeiDu Launcher: easy mod installation on Macs!

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @jubalharshaw‌ - The first problem here is permissions. Not Gatekeeper, but file-level permissions due to OSX BSD-derived Unix-y goodness.

The Mac Mod Installer is also out of date in trying to create symlinks to dialog.tlk. The latest versions of WeiDU know where to find the dialog.tlk file for BGEE. You do not want to move the file out of the lang folder, or BGEE won't be able to find it.

Check out my guide for install mods on OSX here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhiker-s-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx
  • jubalharshawjubalharshaw Member Posts: 2
    @AstroBryGuy
    Thanks! Once I altered permissions for everyone from read to read/write on both the Resources and override folders, it worked! Much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    ScootermlneveseAstroBryGuy
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited October 2014
    I'm confused, I'm trying to install SCS using this method and I keep getting error messages, this is my first attempt to install mods on mac. Any ideas?

** ERROR ** [SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] not found.
    Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
    that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.
    Press ENTER to exit.

I suspect something more fundamental is wrong after watching the video of mod installation as I have not been prompted for language selection.
    Post edited by Moomintroll on
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited October 2014
    I'm sure this must be something pretty obvious I'm doing wrong, I get the same problem when I use the instructions given for the Terminal.

I have weidu+mavericks (renamed weidu), the mod folder, the Mac WeiDU Launcher v33, all in my resources folder

-If I run the weidu launcher after deleting the mod folder I get a note that says "the list is empty"
    Post edited by Moomintroll on
    edited October 2014
    AstroBryGuydosentti666jackjack
  • jankmasterjankmaster Member Posts: 41
    This may be a necro so I apoligize before hand, but when I tried using this installer thing I got an error that read "The variable weidu_path2 is not defined. (-2753)" I'm not sure what this means and I'm scarred to try and do anything that would mess up my game. I' running the mac store version if that helps anyone. Would this be related to the update to 1.3?
    edited February 2015
    I did what you said and it worked for doing the mod Unfinished business but for the mod dungeon begone it's not working. I still get permission denied even if I put read and write for my Macintosh HD. (maybe that was a bad idea, not sure). May revert it back later.
    edited February 2015
    @jankmaster - Don't copy over the file called 'setup-DungeonBeGone'. @subtledoctor's installer creates a symbolic link to WeiDU with that same name, but if the file is there, the link can't be created.

Also, DBG includes a version of SoX from 2002 for audio installs on OSX. Unfortunately, that means it's a PowerPC binary and will not work on Intel Macs. You need to replace the sox binary in jassy/Audio with a newer version of sox at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/files/sox/

@subtledoctor - DBG has its .tp2 named setup-DungeonBeGone.tp2 but the folder is named 'jassy' :confused: . Would that be a problem for the OSX installer? Sorry, I don't have time to do a test myself right now.
    edited February 2015

Is DBG being maintained? If it's a commonly used mod someone should really bring it up to modern standards...

The latest release was in Nov. 2013 and was for BG2EE compatibility. It's got a version of WeiDU from 2013 bundled (when we had split weidu versions for Mavericks vs. Snow Leopard :tongue: ). Looks like @LiamEsler helped with the update.

@jankmaster - Don't copy over the file called 'setup-DungeonBeGone'. @subtledoctor's installer creates a symbolic link to WeiDU with that same name, but if the file is there, the link can't be created.

I thought that v3.4 and later of the Weidu Launcher should be able to handle that situation, deleting or moving such a file if it finds one to make space for the new symbolic link. But I haven't looked at my code for 6+ months (since before Yosemite as released!), so I'm not 100% sure.
    I see the code you are talking about in main.scpt, but when I did a test, the script did not move the old WeiDU binary setup-[MODNAME] out.

So... what should I do to make the mod work. I really liked that mod as he first dungeon is kinda a chore for me at this point.... I'm sorry if I sound kinda whinny. Should I just wait until somebody updates something or is their some files I can move around or rename?
    edited February 2015
    AstroBryGuy
    edited February 2015
    When you unpack the mod, only copy over the file Setup-DungeonBeGone.tp2 and the folder 'jassy' into your Resources folder. Then, use @subtledoctor's tool to install the mod. It should install ok, except for the voiceovers.

EDIT: The audio installation shell scripts are not working, I'm getting syntax errors.

If you really want the voiceovers, copy the files in jassy/Audio to your override folder and rename them from '.ogg' to '.wav'.

EDIT2: Ninja'd by @subtledoctor! :smile:
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    Hi, just a headsup, I am really a noob at all this modding stuff so I am trying my best to understand so please help if you can!

I followed all @AstroBryGuy and @subtledoctor instructions as far as I understand.

1) I am running MAC OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2
    2) I just bought BGEE from Steam.
    3) I wish to install the SCS mod and have downloaded it from here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=915
    4) I have located my Resources folder and inside the folder there is only this 'shortcut.icns' and nothing else.
    5) Following the instructions, I have placed the following files into this folder:
    - Mac WeiDU Launcher
    - 'stratagems' folder
    - weidu
    6) I open the Mac WeiDU Launcher and it prompted me to select either 'setup-stratagems' or 'setup-strategems_autoinstall'.
    7) I click either one and they both give this error:

Last login: Mon Mar 16 02:52:41 on ttys000
    Johns-MBP:~ Johnsama$ cd '/Users/Johnsama/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    Johns-MBP:Resources Johnsama$ ./setup-stratagems
    [./setup-stratagems] WeiDU version 23800

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

Press ENTER to exit.

Johns-MBP:Resources Johnsama$

8) Where did i go wrong?

Thank you in advance!!
    That's not the right location. I don't have the Steam version, but it looks like that app is just a launcher. From what I've been told, Steam puts the actual app at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app

The Library folder is normally hidden. To navigate to it, hold down the "option" key while clicking on the Go menu in the Finder. The menu that appears will have an entry "Library" - select and it will open a Finder window in your Library folder.
    @AstroBryGuy @subtledoctor yes it's working now!!! Thank you guys so much! :))))))))
    And @subtledoctor for the amazing make-my-life-on-mac-so-much-easier app!

Just another thought, do I have to reinstall SCS again if I purchase and install BG2EE on steam? My guess is yes right, as I reckon BG2EE will be installed on a separate location apart from my current BGEE.
    johntyl
  • atakdogatakdog Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2015
    Is there an obvious reason that some mod installations would fail with a "permission denied" error when using the launcher, when I've carefully changed the permissions for the resource folder and everything in it to everyone read+write? Many mods install fine, but several (d'arnise romance, wheels of prophecy, scs; I also tried item upgrade without knowing for sure whether it would work; it doesn't either). I've even checked several files and folders within resources, including the override folder, and confirmed that it's showing R+W for everyone.

I've checked to ensure that the relevant files are in the resource folder, not packed a level deeper. (That's a different error anyway.)

OS 10.10.3, fully updated (but that means I have lots of other permissions issues, which seem to be endemic to mac these days). BG2 from the Apple Store. (yeah, I know — Beamdog suckered me.)
    Post edited by atakdog on
    @atakdog - The mod in question probably ships with a WeiDU binary with the name setup-[MODNAME], where [MODNAME] is the name of the mod (e.g., setup-bg2_tweaks), and this binary file does not have its "execute" permission set.

The easiest thing to do is to delete the 'setup-[MODNAME]' file for the mod and then run the OSX WeiDU Launcher again.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    I purchased the game on Steam and copied the folder called "Palemaster" into the folder "Resources", along with "Weidu" and "Mac WeiDU Launcher". When I launch the "Mac WeiDU Launcher", I have two options: "example" or "setup-palemaster". Whatever the case, this is what it's being displayed:

./setup-palemaster
    [./setup-palemaster] WeiDU version 23800

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

Press ENTER to exit.