Skip to content

NPC with unique race (for BG2:EE)

evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I remember how much I liked Deekin in NWN:SoU and NWN:HoTU, much because of his peculiar race and the flavor that came with it.

So what I would really like to see in BG2:EE is an NPC with a strange race, preferably a kobold or a xvart (everyone has to love their battle cry). This would of course mean that new animations for that character would have to be made, but the thread with what can and can't be done does only specify "There will be no new animations in BG:EE", which, interpreted by me, means that there could be new animations in BG2:EE.

The kobold could be a bard, so one can actually choose a likable bard for the party (I do not like Haer'Dalis at all). The xvart probably would fit best as a thief, single or M/C (the need of an addition of one more thief is adressed here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2358/bg2ee-please-add-a-real-thief).
ConphantusIchigoRXCScooterego1ste

Comments

• CambionDaystarCambionDaystar Member Posts: 7
    Wouldn't that be a problem as a lot of those races are killed on sight in large parts of Faerun?
  • evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32

Wouldn't that be a problem as a lot of those races are killed on sight in large parts of Faerun?

I don't think it's more of a problem that with the back story of Deekin. The NPC would have left his previous setting, probably originating from the lands around Baldur's Gate, and slowly being accepted into the lower ranks of society. Probably walks around with a hood, keeping to the dark, as to be easier mistaken for a halfling or another of the short races.
    HvitrEbrithil
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    That applies to viconia being a drow as well. Anyway, IMO, part of what made planescape such a fantastic game were its original characters. I'd love to see a githzerai NPC or an NPC of any other exotic race added to BG2. It'd open up for very interesting stories and it shouldn't be too difficult to find ways to balance an NPC of an exotic race.

That applies to viconia being a drow as well. Anyway, IMO, part of what made planescape such a fantastic game were its original characters. I'd love to see a githzerai NPC or an NPC of any other exotic race added to BG2. It'd open up for very interesting stories and it shouldn't be too difficult to find ways to balance an NPC of an exotic race.

It would be easy to add other humanoid races where you could just use the an existing model and change the skin and hair colors. This would be the poor mans version of my request, though. But a githzerai, githyanki or duergar would be fun.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Doppelganger NPC would be awesome :)
    reedmilfamEdvin
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    @evil_ape lets steal Dak'kon's sprite... *rolls eyes*
    Anton
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'd LOVE a doppelganger NPC that changes to look like other NPC's to make total fun of them. OMG, I'd die laughing. Have Ellen Degeneress do its voice (it changes look, but not voice). I think I'd die laughing.
    Dee
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    While we are at it. Let us make cats, dogs and pony's playable. Why stop there? Dragons, rats and bird npc's would be a welcome addition.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Didn't Haer'Dalis count as the "exotic race" in bg2? I don't mean to stifle anyone's creativity, or do we now see tieflings and aasimar as normal now?
    recklessheartEpitomyofShynessAphril
    Worg said:

While we are at it. Let us make cats, dogs and pony's playable. Why stop there? Dragons, rats and bird npc's would be a welcome addition.

Really? Do you find the notion of playing with a kobold, xvart, duergar or githzerai that silly? I just thaught that because of Deekins popularity in NWN, this would be something that more people than me were interested in.
    Xavioria said:

Didn't Haer'Dalis count as the "exotic race" in bg2? I don't mean to stifle anyone's creativity, or do we now see tieflings and aasimar as normal now?

Tanthalas said:

Technically, I would consider that Aerie was from an exotic race too.

Yes, both of these are exotic races, and it brings a lot of interesting back story to their characters, I think.
    EpitomyofShyness
    I agree, and I think an undead character (like Leh'Taniel) would make a very interesting race as well. I played that mod and was actually very fond of it, it was very well written.
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    IIRC, there are few mods that do this, there is a kobold, mind flyer, vampire... There are limitations on what could be done in the engine, like lack of paperdolls, avatars or proper char sheet race designation, but it can be done.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Minotaur, Orc, Troll, Goblin? ToEE was so nice for that, having orcs, troll, ogre, succubus/devil in our party
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Bauriar. Yep, that is what I want. I do not care if it makes no sense or is impossible to do that would be my choice of special NPC.
    How about Summoning Morte as a familiar haha. I am sure he would get along with so many of the characters... Telling Xan to kill himself, playing tricks on edwin and Xzar, taunting Tiax. :D
    Xavioria
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Well, there is a drow, a tiefling, and avariel and even *gasp* a gnome!
    Having said that, for an interesting and fun playthough, cluaconsole and infinity editor can shift your character to be whatever you want.
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    What about Boo!?
    TanthalasRedGuardThe_New_RomanceSolobear
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I know none of them were of a unique race, but I always thought it was a shame you couldn't officially take any of the Spellhold residents with you as party members - cause they all seemed interesting in a messed up kind of way (especially Dili and Aphril).
    There are a bunch of unique races you talk to Watchers Keep, but I guess its a shame none of them have much to say to you. Same goes for the Underdark; there's lots of races there but you really dont have much of a reason to stick around and befriend people.
    I personally wouldn't mind there being a... Deep gnome that you could take with you when visiting. The innkeeper's son comes to mind as he IS an adventuring sort it seems like. This might conflict with the solefain mod where there are too many npc mods out there that take place in the underdark, but then again, choices are good, ya?
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Not really a much needed feature, for me, since I already have an Avariel, a Drow and a Tiefling (and now a Half-Orc, which doesn't hurt).
    Plus, him/her being a member of a "special" race becomes nothing more than a curious trivia in the back of my mind IMMEDIATELY AFTER meeting the character.
    Haer'Dalis HAS TO keep blabbering about "furious cambions" to remind me he's a member of an unusual race. If he did shut up about it (that would be a great day)... he'd pretty much be "that elvish looking bard standing next to the elvish looking blonde chick".

So, I don't really need that.
    That's unless they give us a Goblin party member.
    That would change everything.
    Day 1 buy for me.
    Goblin(s) rule.
    Jatrrr
    Well, there has been some good arguments against this idea, but in the end I still prefer that when they create new NPC's for BG2:EE at least one of them would not be of the seven standard races.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    karpasz said:

What about Boo!?

True !
    I want " Space Hamster " playable race !
    :D
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Worg -I'm hurt. I think my doppelganger idea would be fun and amusing.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    The one in Irenicus' dungeon seemed friendly enough, i guess :D You just want something that can change into people?
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170

@Worg -I'm hurt. I think my doppelganger idea would be fun and amusing.

I find dopplegangers to be a cowardly and greedy version of T-1000. Killing people for money and taking their place to gain an advantage. You may notice that these monsters are not evil. So they are so inhuman that they cannot be blamed for what they do. It is their very nature. I think that no character in BG would be stupid enough to travel with such a monster.
    Doppelgänger.... Don't they eat humans?
    Interesting... Are dopplegangers genderless?
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited August 2012
    " Doppelganger families tend not to be close; usually a male and female meet, engage in casual sex, then leave one another, with the female being forced to single-handedly rear any resulting newborns—who will leave their mother upon reaching maturity. Some Doppelgangers, however, form tightly knit family clusters, while others will mate with humanoids, taking malicious delight in using their non-Doppelganger spouse as a cover for their inhumanity. Children born of such unions have a chance of being a half-Doppelganger, while decendants can find them selves as a Doppleganger Bloodline. "

Official information.