Skip to content

How do you keep the game unique?

After completing the game about 3 times, I now find myself opening the game (BG2 and ToB), going to Character Creation, making one and when I finish, I just delete it and exit the game. Now I'm not bored with the game per say, it's just that it doesn't change no matter what I do.
For example, I've been playing Dark Souls II and in that game, if I make a character different gameplaywise, I must play in a different way with her, be it in weapons, magic or how to stay alive. In BG, whether I use a Mage, Thief or Fighter, it's all the same. Just plan and click away. No major changes, nothing.
I'd like to ask, as the title implies, how do you make to not get bored with the game? Do you RP in a different way? Use difficulty mods or new NPCs (ingame or added by mods)?
VakarianFinneousPJ

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I rely heavily on roleplay, and as I've mentioned in an earlier thread somewhere, often build characters as friends or colleagues and play the game through their eyes (it's also a good test of how well you think you know your friends!).
    LemernisVakarian
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    The item randomizer mod also greatly improves replayability in my oppinion.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    Do you always find yourself using the same companions in your party? Another thing you can try is a minimal reload (only when Charname dies), no resurrection run. This literally forces you to use companions that you would otherwise pass on and can lead to some creative tactics.

Or try something like not buying magic scrolls from stores - only use the ones you find. Make yourself try out some of those less-than-optimal spells. You might find some you really like.

Mostly, I like to rely on roleplaying, though - try to act in character, limit metagaming, and only do quests you've been pointed towards by NPCs (instead of going to map X to get a particular item.) @Lemernis is doing an incredible job with this in his Let the Fates Decide playthrough. While I don't think I have the patience/motivation to do all that journaling myself, it's given me a number of ideas on how solid RP-ing can really add some depth to the game.
    FinneousPJLemernis
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    As I play solo runs I use the Multi-kit mod to make the viable multi-class options a little bit more, let's say, rich for an RP'er, and a delight for a PG'er.
    Also, use the Item randomizer, SCS and I recommend playing No reload and adding more mods maybe, too.
    JuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    You could take a break from playing it. Honestly, I find my interest restored after a few days without BG whenever I start getting bored.
  • Story driven RPGs can't be played eternally. Try some of the tactics mod for a challenge, SCS being the best. But the best thing about those games isn't the game play, it's the first time you play it, discovering the story, characters, locations, fights for the first tmie.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    If the game gets repetive, I'll just RP my characters differently. There are many possibilities for an interesting playthrough that most people apparently never try out.

For example: play as an neutral and cowardly, run-from-the-mill Commoner! Or, if you feel like playing evil with a twist, try a verocious Cannibal playthrough! It might also be fun (not to mention quite difficult) to RP as a blind character throughout the whole saga. Just to name a few ideas.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2014
    Vakarian said:

@Lemernis is doing an incredible job with this in his Let the Fates Decide playthrough. While I don't think I have the patience/motivation to do all that journaling myself, it's given me a number of ideas on how solid RP-ing can really add some depth to the game.

Thanks for the nod, and I should add that initially I did not set out to do what "Fates" quickly became re: the journaling! It just became immersive in its own way (especially writing in the first person fictional voice), plus I wanted to really detail how rich the experience can be when infusing that degree of imagination plus the card flips and dice rolls into roleplaying choices. Hopefully the journal conveys almost at a glance a type of experience that people can have in their own heads if they approach the game that way.
  • dashteacupdashteacup Member Posts: 52
    I use a different mod setup every play through. That helps. I've mostly been additive with them. The list of mods I use just keeps growing.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Wonderful answer, @Lemernis‌ ! You've managed to put it straight and simple and yet diversified.