Skip to content

Kuldahar and the Ten Towns

Comments

• DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52

nice map snippet! It puts Ten Towns, Kelvin's Cairn and the lakes into a good frame, thanks :)
    jackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    It's extra effort for Wizards to canonize it, really, that's why they don't. Business decisions.

But indeed, Kuldahar is an awesome location!
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited September 2014
    If they don't want to acknowledge specific events of the game I guess I can understand that, but there are a lot of interesting characters and quite a few really memorable locations in IWD and the BG series that deserve inclusion in the greater official world. I think it would be nice if for no other reason than to acknowledge the hard work of those who created the games, and the fans they brought to the Forgotten Realms through the game products.

Given the dwindling number of staff in charge of D&D at this point, though, I imagine it isn't even on the radar to worry about older products. And, canon or not, the games are still fun and those who want to include them in their PnP worlds are free to do so.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I just (because I didn't read the thread properly) came independently, to the same conclusion.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    So what I'm getting from this thread is that we should build a shrine to Saint Kuldahar. Presumably around a tree.
    kcwiseCalmar
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Jarrakul said:

So what I'm getting from this thread is that we should build a shrine to Saint Kuldahar. Presumably around a tree.

It can be staffed by leaftenders.
    jackjackKamigoroshi
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Fardragon said:

Yes, I noticed on my first playthrough that most of Icewind Dale wasn't actually set in Icewind Dale!

Maybe they wanted to make sure the game has some traction with the fans of Drizzt.
    lolien
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Calmar said:

Maybe they wanted to make sure the game has some traction with the fans of Drizzt.

As well it should - the game's basically a love letter to the first Drizzt novels.
    lolien
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I have been there and liked it so It looks pretty "cannon" to me. :D

CalmarJuliusBorisovjackjacklolien
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited February 2015

Kuldahar wouldn't be shown on that map, even if it was canon. Because it is east of it. Most of IWD takes place in the uncharted area of the Spine of the World east of the Ten Towns.

Hm, but in the in-game dialog, the only direction given for the Ten-Towns from Kuldahar, is always "north".
    For example when you ask Conlan why he does not move away from Kuldahar:

"Ha! I wish that were possible. The southern pass has long since been snowed-in by this damnable weather we've been having lately. Now I hear tell that even the northern route to the Ten Towns has been blocked by an avalanche." - Conlan

Or if you start the HOW quest, but make Hjollder return you to Kuldahar before it is finished, and then talk to him again in Kuldahar:

"Welcome back, heroes. Are you ready to resume our quest?" - Hjollder
    "Yes. Let us return to the north." - CHARNAME

I suppose Kuldahar could be southeast or south-southeast from the Ten-Towns.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    What a wonderful map, @ineth! Many thanks for your work!

Since the maps from IWD and IWD II are artistic and somewhat distorted in their perspective, I wouldn't take them too literal.

The northwestern-most of your Kuldahar-locations feels most reasonable to me: It is still relatively close to Icewind Dale proper and the location and direction of the Kuldahar Pass is also the most reasonable (you don't travel a huge distance across the mountains before you reach the pass, I think).
    wubblekcwiselolienJuliusBorisov
  • grogersongrogerson Member Posts: 116
    ineth's "favorite" map is a good place to start in placing everything. Kuldahar, and the valley south of it, are actually outside the Dale/Ten Towns area. The original manual (I got it in .pdf format with my first purchase of the game) has a similar map, but shows Kuldahar south and slightly east of Easthaven. I'd post the map, but the quality is pretty lousy. The game may not be "canon," but at least Black Isle felt it was important to give it a specific location.

Timewise: "...the game itself takes place in Eleint, 1281 DR, Year of the Cold Soul. (This is sixteen years prior to Drizzt's arrival on the surface, as mentioned in the Icewind Dale Trilogy of books by R.A. Salvatore) Your characters will be literally making historyas they adventure through the game, and their actions may be felt for decades and centuries ahead..."
    kcwise